Author Topic: Dell Laptops - opinions?  (Read 7747 times)

BillBlank

• friend
Dell Laptops - opinions?
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2005, 11:20:50 PM »
IBM vs Dell.  My experience is two years old. Worked for a major pharma corp, doing clinical trial support and electronic submission work. Easily buying 150-200 laptops a year. Also a lot of servers. This stuff would have to be robust to survive being used by clinicians and apes like me. The servers had to survive being airlifted all over. We bought another pharma that had a contract with Dell and they gave us loads of free stuff to try and persaude us to use them as sole supplier. It was cheap feeling, flimsy, was outperformed by IBM stuff. One of my T21/22 laptops survived being used as a back protector twice when I came off my bike at speed. It's still in use to my knowledge. An eight by four flight case of racked IBM servers survived a sixteen foot drop from the back of a cargo plane. those things are tough.

Dell on the other hand, didn't survive normal use. Cases would fragment, screens died, hard drives failed, you name it. Universally hated.

YMMV
Just so happens Satan's behind the bar pulling the late shift for a buddy...

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Dell Laptops - opinions?
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2005, 04:00:52 AM »
So, is your decision made, or do we have to beat you over the head with an IBM, which will survive the ordeal nicely?  Wink

I hear Thinkpads will take multiple rounds of .308 while you assemble your NEF handi-Rifle too.

-Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

telewinz

• friend
Dell Laptops - opinions?
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2005, 02:31:01 PM »
I think the answer here is...DELL and IBM use the same parts suppliers but the IBM has thicker plastic.  Yep, I'll really pay big bucks for that premium plastic, I think its an "alloy" plastic isn't it?
Career Corrections