Author Topic: Analysts predict implosion in the banking industry  (Read 4443 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Analysts predict implosion in the banking industry
« on: September 03, 2009, 05:54:52 PM »
Not sure what to make of this. Could be true, could be a marketing ploy. I guess time will tell. Here's the analyst quoted in the article. http://us1.institutionalriskanalytics.com/pub/IRAstory.asp?tag=378

http://blogs.moneycentral.msn.com/topstocks/archive/2009/09/02/bank-analysts-see-implosion-dead-ahead.aspx

Bank analysts see 'implosion' ahead

Posted Sep 02 2009, 10:01 AM by admin
By Michael Brush

Hold tight folks, it’s not over yet. Bank failures heated up this summer, but expect an “implosion” next year.

That’s the key takeaway from a deep dive into second-quarter bank results by sector experts at Institutional Risk Analytics, now that all the numbers are all in.

Despite the huge amounts of government money poured into the banks and a sense that conditions are better -- witness the big gains in bank stocks -- the number of banks getting the worst grades for strength actually shot up 12% in the second quarter.

In a study released Sept. 1, IRA concludes that 2,256 banks deserve a failing grade, up from 2,012 in the first quarter. Banks getting an “F” grade included giant Citigroup (C).

“Despite all of the talk and expenditure in Washington, the U.S. banking industry is still sinking steadily,” says Christopher Whalen of IRA.

Besides mounting problems with loans, a big part of the problem is that federal efforts target the larger banks -- leaving the smaller ones to try to fend for themselves in unaccommodating capital markets. The upshot: You can expect a lot more bank failures ahead.

The pace has already been picking up sharply. The Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (FDIC) took over 45 banks in the first half of the year. That jumped to 24 in July alone, and another 15 were taken over in August. (Since the start of July 2008, the FDIC has taken over 108 banks.)

Now, the FDIC has over 400 banks on its troubled list. But IRA thinks that is way to low. It projects another 1,000 banks will fail before the damage from the credit mess is done taking its toll. “The scope of the train wreck facing U.S. financial institutions is vast,” says Whalen, who expects an “implosion” to hit the sector next year.

Though the banking mess reduced the FDIC insurance fund to $10.4 billion at the end of June, your deposits will probably still be safe -- as long as your accounts are below the $250,000 maximum insured amount. The banking industry will “absorb and repay” additional hits to the FDIC insurance fund, says Whalen.

Instead, the real loss will be the ongoing damage to the economy as “good community and regional banks die,” says Whalen.

He also advices against owning shares of Citigroup for two reasons. First, it’s still not clear what the bank’s ultimate losses will be. Second, with the government as the largest senior creditor, it’s too hard to predict what may happen next. “As with GM and Chrysler, the private shareholders and even the creditors of Citigroup will take what they get from Uncle Sam,” says Whalen.

For my take on four companies deeply damaged by the financial meltdown but still trading heavily, read today's column: "4 'zombie' stocks better off dead."

Disclosure: Michael Brush does not own or control shares of any company mentioned in this blog.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Analysts predict implosion in the banking industry
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 05:58:39 PM »
Here's the linked article talking about stocks that are trading well but worthless.

http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/CompanyFocus/4-zombie-stocks-better-off-dead.aspx

4 'zombie' stocks better off dead

Meltdown casualties Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac, GM and AIG soared in August, with tons of shares changing hands. But don't be fooled; they're worthless.

By Michael Brush
MSN Money

The market rebound off the March lows is even raising the dead.

I'm talking about four "zombie" stocks in particular, housing meltdown casualties with no real value by virtually any measure. Yet they're up 100% or more in the past month, with big numbers of shares changing hands as traders game the system.

As an investor, you need to avoid these zombies at all costs. Don't get drawn in by the hoopla.

The two most prominent are those ill-fated twins of the housing disaster, Fannie Mae (FNM, news, msgs) and Freddie Mac (FRE, news, msgs). These are the government-sponsored entities that used to print money by guaranteeing and buying home mortgages.

Now they're mere shells reporting huge losses. If they ever manage to make money again, it will go to pay back huge loans from the government -- $100 billion and climbing. Average shareholders don't have a prayer.

Yet during the month, these two zombies soared around 300% on enough volume to rank them at times among the market's most-traded stocks.

Another zombie is General Motors' pre-bankruptcy stock. Motors Liquidation (MTLQQ, news, msgs) contains little more than unwanted factories and legal claims against the company. Yet in early August, it surged 140% on huge volume.

Motors Liquidation is at least relegated to the market netherworld of the pink sheets; Fannie and Freddie still trade on the New York Stock Exchange. So does the insurance company American International Group (AIG, news, msgs), which traded up as much as 330% in August. The AIG case is more arguable, but I still consider it a zombie.

All four stocks took a beating yesterday as September opened. But that only begs the question: If these stocks are better off dead, why have investors been bidding them up?

Who's playing with zombies?
Some of the buying is legitimate, coming from investors who went short, selling borrowed shares in hopes of buying them back at a lower price later. Now they need to cover their positions by buying replacements for the borrowed shares to lock in their gains.

Beaten-down shareholders are also likely to sell on any move up. But these factors don't explain all the action.

Some buyers chasing these zombies are clearly getting duped by penny-stock touts -- who take positions in dirt-cheap stocks, talk them up and then sell. Back in July, for example, one penny-stock service issued a news release stating that the GM zombie "emerged from the remains of bankrupt General Motors Corp. by taking over the best assets of the biggest U.S. automaker."

The best assets? Hardly. The same release also stated correctly that the real GM -- the part that actually makes cars -- is now a private company. But analysts aren't sure people get that. "I think there are some retail investors out there who don't realize Motors Liquidation is not GM," says David Whiston, who covers the auto sector for Morningstar. Otherwise, its movements are "just baffling," says Whiston.

These zombies have also come back to life because of reckless gambling. "Given the rise in many of the financial stocks, people are looking around for things that rhyme, and they looked to Fannie and Freddie," says Matthew Warren, who follows those stocks for Morningstar. "People are day-trading those stocks, but I imagine that it won't end well."

Very low-priced stocks tend to attract this sort of action. But average investors who try to play the game are painfully overmatched by high-volume traders who can move cheap stocks with their buys, then exit positions, leaving others to take the losses. If you choose to play this game, you're on your own.

Here's why I think you should avoid these zombies at all costs.

Part 2

Fannie and Freddie

Despite the action, the "smart money" agrees with Warren that Fannie and Freddie stocks are worthless. "Our institutional (clients) are pretty confident the value is zero," says Bose George, who follows the stock for Keefe, Bruyette & Woods. George agrees.

Here's why:

Reason No. 1: The government has a claim on most of the value of Fannie and Freddie.

The only reason they haven't gone under is that the U.S. Treasury has given them billions -- $46 billion to Fannie and $51.7 billion to Freddie, to be exact. They also pay what is in effect interest to the government of about $5 billion a year.

In return for cash, the government gets "senior preferred" stock, with the highest claim on any value in these companies. Shareholders of regular preferred stock are next, follow by owners of common stock -- the widely traded, regular stock that shot up so much in August.

Being last in line, owners of the regular stock have little claim on any value or profit these companies will ever produce.

Reason No. 2: More dilution of common shares is likely.

It gets worse. Fannie and Freddie will need "massive amounts" of additional capital to continue, says George. That money will come from the government. Since the government's stake will continue to have the highest claim on assets, the common stock will be devalued yet again.

Each quarter that Fannie and Freddie rack up more losses, they have to go to the government to get more money. Fannie Mae reported a $14.8 billion loss in the second quarter. Freddie Mac reported a loss of $374 million. That's down from losses of $10.2 billion in the first quarter, but don't be fooled -- business didn't get that much better. The improvement was mainly due to accounting changes.

Other accounting changes, though, may require the pair to hold a lot more capital in reserve. To get that, the companies would need -- you guessed it -- even more billions in government aid.

Reason No. 3: The Obama administration could slay these zombies next spring.

The fate of Fannie and Freddie is now in the hands of the government, and it's not clear what it will do. But here's one likely option: The Obama administration could nationalize these zombies and turn them into mere mortgage guarantors, like the Federal Housing Administration, a federal agency that insures home mortgages. In that case, the stock gets wiped out, because so much of the underlying businesses will be gone.

The administration says it will deal with the issue next spring.

To own these stocks, "you really have to make a case for the political will to keep these things public," says Mark Morgan, a bank-sector analyst with Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. "I don't think there is a lot of political support for that right now."

GM stock: The ultimate clunker
Here's a basic rule of thumb for when companies go bankrupt: The old shares continue to trade, but they are nearly always worthless. That's because shareholders are last in line among those with claims on the assets of a bankrupt company, says George Putnam, a value investor who writes The Turnaround Letter. Banks, bondholders and other creditors have to get paid off before the shareholders. "Very rarely is there enough left over for stockholders," says Putnam.

That's the case with shares in the old General Motors, which is now called Motors Liquidation. All the valuable parts of the old GM are inside a private company, called General Motors Co., which someday will trade as a stock. It is owned by the U.S. and Canadian governments, the United Auto Workers Voluntary Employees' Beneficiary Association (an entity set up to manage the health and pension benefits of autoworkers) and former GM bondholders.

The old stock represents only what the new owners refused to touch. They're telling investors to stay away from the zombie because it is worthless (.pdf file).

American International Group
Like Fannie, Freddie and the old GM stock, shares of troubled insurer American International Group shot up in August. The move looks equally unwarranted.

Investors took hope from AIG's early August report of $1.8 billion in profits for the second quarter, compared with a loss of $5.4 billion a year ago. Next, investors saw it as a sign of strength that chief Robert Benmosche said he could wait up to three years to sell off some foreign units the insurer earlier seemed to be in a hurry to unload. Benmosche also said he's consulting with former AIG chief Maurice Greenberg on how to revive the insurer.

All three factors sparked a panic among short sellers who scrambled to buy the stock to close positions, which would decline as the stock price rose. That probably contributed to strength in the shares.

At around $45, this stock isn't quite the basket case the others represent. And AIG's core insurance businesses still have some value.

But I still consider it among the walking dead. Any income it can generate pales in the foreseeable future in comparison to the $46 billion it owes the government. Plus the common stock has been diluted by a $41.6 billion preferred stock investment in the company by the U.S. Treasury.

AIG declined comment for this column.

"The prospects for getting out of debt are not good," says John Tabacco Jr. at locatestock.com, which helps short sellers find the stock they need to borrow go short. Recently, AIG came in at No. 1 on the top 10 list of stocks that shorts are hunting at locatestock.com.

That's not a good sign for this zombie, either. Stocks in high demand at locatestock.com have a tendency to do poorly.

At the time of publication, Michael Brush did not own shares of any company mentioned in this column.

« Last Edit: September 03, 2009, 06:05:56 PM by Balog »

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 06:20:31 PM »
Gee.

You mean that government cherry picking only helped to float certain banks and did nothing for others?  That that money is being horded is steadily running out?  That when that money runs out they will be in even deeper fecal matter then they were to start with.....but...but. 

Holy Government FUBAR say it aint so!

Don't worry, the big'O will save us.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2009, 08:03:40 PM »
Yup, this mess ain't over yet.  Lots more bad debt out there that still needs to be written off, lots more leverage to unwind.  Lots more bank failures (real banks this time, not big time Wall St investment banks) to be seen, and the FDIC is technically bankrupt.  European banks are skrood, too

Round two of the deflationary bust is on its way.

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2009, 08:16:26 PM »
All the people who did CAK when they couldn't afford it will also increase the speed IMO.  While each loan may not be huge and not to the level of the housing burst, it'll be painful.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2009, 08:33:23 PM »
The analysts are all wee-weed up.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2009, 08:47:19 PM »
Lupinus: CAK?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2009, 09:20:31 PM »
Why anyone would want to buy Fannie mae, Freddie mac, GM, or AIG is well beyond me. Like all zombies, these companies need a bullet in the head so that they are no longer a threat to the living.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2009, 09:22:08 PM »
The only reason they haven't gone under is that the U.S. Treasury has given them billions -- $46 billion to Fannie and $51.7 billion to Freddie, to be exact.

Well, heck. Matter of fact, I'm about to go under myself. I think I'm going to do the government a favor by demanding only $3.6 billion. See? I'm a lot less expensive than Fannie and Freddie, and therefore a better investment.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2009, 10:00:13 PM »
Why anyone would want to buy Fannie mae, Freddie mac, GM, or AIG is well beyond me. Like all zombies, these companies need a bullet in the head so that they are no longer a threat to the living.
Buying Fannie and Freddie debt makes good sense, though.  Backed by the full faith and credit, and better returns than treasuries.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2009, 11:54:26 PM »
It's all the commerical debt (specifically commerical property leases on now vacant stores and buildings) that going to cause the next implosion. It'll make the houseing implosion look like a fart in a whirlwind......
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 09:18:58 AM »
Buying Fannie and Freddie debt makes good sense, though.  Backed by the full faith and credit, and better returns than treasuries.

A persn would have to be high to invest in anything held by, run by, or backed up by the US government at this point in history. Its sad, but it the 'full faith and credit' doesn't mean much right now.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 03:49:08 PM »
Note where we were in the curve mid-2008 and compare it to where we are now.  Then take a gander at 2010.  We've merely passed through one wall of a hurricane.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 03:55:06 PM by Waitone »
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 03:52:09 PM »
But now we have Obama.  Everything will be fine. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

lupinus

• friends
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 04:20:11 PM »
Lupinus: CAK?
Oops, meant CFK, cash for klunkers  :|

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 12:33:35 AM »
A persn would have to be high to invest in anything held by, run by, or backed up by the US government at this point in history. Its sad, but it the 'full faith and credit' doesn't mean much right now.

Yeah, what's wrong with those people?  It's not like we're a huge economic superpower with a strong track record and tons of natural resources, or anything like that. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grey54956

« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2009, 11:00:10 PM »
It's not that they don't have tons of resources, or that they aren't an economic superpower...

It's that the US Gov't has decided that when it comes to paying investors back, they don't have to obey rules, laws, precedent, tradition, treaties, or anything else.  They are free to simply cancel their debts if they wish, at least debts not held by foreign powers with sizable armies.

It could also be that the US Gov't pays off its debts with credit, digging deeper in debt, which will eventually cause the whole system to implode.

Or, it could be that a good number of folks are beginning to think that we may be on the cusp of implosion now, and that the full faith and credit of the US gov't won't mean anything when the US gov't ceases to exist.
"There are no carefully crafted arguments here, just a sausage-chain of emotional crotch-grabs." - Longeyes

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye and see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." -- Frank Herbert, Dune