Author Topic: Obama Energy Sec: Americans Are Like ‘Teenage Kids’ When It Comes to Energy  (Read 9054 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
No, I am not making this up.

This sort of paternalism & condescension is quite revealing.

Chu thinks that it is gov't's role to dictate to the citizenry. 

We ought to tar & feather the little #~(!.

IMO, the fools running .gov are the irresponsible party.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."
----P.J. O'Rourke

http://blogs.wsj.com/environmentalcapital/2009/09/21/steven-chu-americans-are-like-teenage-kids-when-it-comes-to-energy/

When it comes to greenhouse-gas emissions, Energy Secretary Steven Chu sees Americans as unruly teenagers and the Administration as the parent that will have to teach them a few lessons.

Energy Secretary Chu: A teaching moment (AP)

Speaking on the sidelines of a smart grid conference in Washington, Dr. Chu said he didn’t think average folks had the know-how or will to to change their behavior enough to reduce greenhouse-gas emissions.

“The American public…just like your teenage kids, aren’t acting in a way that they should act,” Dr. Chu said. “The American public has to really understand in their core how important this issue is.” (In that case, the Energy Department has a few renegade teens of its own.)

The administration aims to teach them—literally. The Environmental Protection Agency is focusing on real children. Partnering with the Parent Teacher Organization, the agency earlier this month launched a cross-country tour of 6,000 schools to teach students about climate change and energy efficiency.

“We’re showing people across the country how energy efficiency can be part of what they do every day,” said EPA Administrator Lisa Jackson. “Confronting climate change, saving money on our utility bills, and reducing our use of heavily-polluting energy can be as easy as making a few small changes.”

Still, Secretary Chu said he didn’t think that the public would throw the same political temper tantrum over climate legislation has has happened with the healthcare debate.

Asked if he expected a town-hall style pushback, Dr. Chu said he was optimistic the public would buy the administration’s arguments that energy efficiency and caps on greenhouse-gas emissions will spark an economic rebound.

“I don’t think so…maybe I’m optimistic, but there’s very little debate” that a new green energy economy will bring economic prosperity, Mr. Chu told reporters.

Don’t look now, but there’s actually quite a lot of debate as to the economic merits of the new green-energy economy. Whether that will spell a healthcare-style revolt against the energy and climate bill stewing in the Senate is another question.

An update: Energy Department spokesman Dan Leistikow added: “Secretary Chu was not comparing the public to teenagers. He was saying that we need to educate teenagers about ways to save energy. He also recognized the need to educate the broader public about how important clean energy industries are to our competitive position in the global economy. He believes public officials do have an obligation to make their case to the American people on major legislation, and that’s what he’s doing.”

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
I'm not acting like a teenager, I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!!!  An American President doesn't teach the people anything, not unless they want to be a one termer.  They can guide the country to this direction or that.  This administration is chock full of em, aint they.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Asked if he expected a town-hall style pushback, Dr. Chu said he was optimistic the public would buy the administration’s arguments that energy efficiency and caps on greenhouse-gas emissions will spark an economic rebound.

Sigh. They never learn.

brimic

• friends
Well we do have Papa Obama to teach about energy, healthcare, and the rest of his marxist philosphy.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
There's something wrong with teenage kids?

I'd trust an adolescent over many of the 'adults' running society today.

Hell, I think we as a civilization have a lot to learn from our adolescents.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Standing Wolf

• friend
I'd trust an adolescent over many of the 'adults' running society today.

I'd trust the average juvenile delinquent more than the current occupant of the White House.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

sanglant

• friend
I'd trust the average juvenile delinquent more than the current occupant of the White House.

how can you tell the difference? =(

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Hold now, guys, let's not just go along with what jfruser is complaining about.  I'm pretty sure it's racist. 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

grampster

• friend
Tell chu to kiss my racist ass.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

drewtam

• friend
I aim to misbehave.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

buzz_knox

• friend
I aim to misbehave.

When real time monitoring of individual meters goes on-line, you won't be able to. 

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
When real time monitoring of individual meters goes on-line, you won't be able to. 

Good thing I plan on getting a home with a fireplace.

I think I will also look into getting a wood-fired stove.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Going off-grid, myself.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
Going off-grid, myself.  ;)

I grew up in a home with wood-stove heat. It's not hard and, as long as you cut your own wood, MUCH less expensive.

It's just an added bonus that their meddling will likely increase the "carbon footprint" of your new wood-heated home.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

longeyes

• friend
Burning wood is mean to trees.  The ecos and the emos don't like it.  The Grid is not only your friend, it's your Master.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

HankB

• friend
An update: Energy Department spokesman Dan Leistikow added: "Secretary Chu was not comparing the public to teenagers. He was saying that we need to educate teenagers about ways to save energy."
Sir, I read what Secretary Chu said, so I say in response to your lame attempt at damage control: you lie.

Dr. Chu said he was optimistic the public would buy the administration’s arguments that energy efficiency and caps on greenhouse-gas emissions will spark an economic rebound.
So higher taxes - sharply higher taxes - on electricity, gasoline, food, clothing, transportation, housing, in short, EVERYTHING that requires energy for production or distribution, will spark an economic rebound?

This sounds like Al Capone extolling the benefits of "paying protection" to shopkeepers during the 1930's.  :mad:

If Dr. Chu genuinely believes this, he needs to have his meds adjusted.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

MicroBalrog

• friend
VDH's take on this administrations relationship with America.

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NTA4OWRmZTM3MmQwNzJlZWMyMDc4MTY1ZGE5NWMzODM=

First I wanted to point out that having worked a 'real' job does not more qualify you for office than anything else. But then I realized that the author's general description of a college campus is essentially true.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

coppertales

• friend
I don't give a rat's a$$ about greenhouse gases or carbon footprints or credits.  I drive an old motorcycle, truck, boat, lawn mower, chain saw, wood burner, and fireplace.  I shoot black powder because of the smoke.  I don't have emission equipment on my guns that I shoot all the time.  I fart and belch alot, so there......let them come arrest me.  They will need to bring shovels to dig me out from under the large pile of brass to do so.....chris3

longeyes

• friend
If VDH is right (and I think he is), can Animal House be far behind?

Food fightttttttttt!!!!!!

"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Sawdust

• friend
The administration aims to teach them—literally. The Environmental Protection Agency is focusing on real children. Partnering with the Parent Teacher Organization, the agency earlier this month launched a cross-country tour of 6,000 schools to teach students about climate change and energy efficiency.

More and more, I feel that I need to have myself or my wife physically camp-out in my kids' classrooms to monitor what is being presented.

Sigh...

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

FTA84

• friend
More and more, I feel that I need to have myself or my wife physically camp-out in my kids' classrooms to monitor what is being presented.

[sarcasm] You are such a caveman! It's science! [/sarcasm]

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
This sounds like Al Capone extolling the benefits of "paying protection" to shopkeepers during the 1930's

But I'd much rather pay Capone than the fed. gov.

Capone was a lot more honest.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
VDH's take on this administrations relationship with America.

http://article.nationalreview.com/print/?q=NTA4OWRmZTM3MmQwNzJlZWMyMDc4MTY1ZGE5NWMzODM=

Yeah he knocked that one out of the park.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

buzz_knox

• friend
Good thing I plan on getting a home with a fireplace.

I think I will also look into getting a wood-fired stove.

Good idea, until you consider that by not purchasing electrical power, you are affecting interstate commerce.  The courts have upheld the right of the feds to regulate any such impacts so you'll likely be taxed for not being on the grid (just as those who are healthy enough not to worry about non-catastrophic health insurance will be taxed under the Baucus plan).  Combine that with the GPS info being taken via the census, Smart Grid, and Google Earth, and it's not hard to see a work program that has cubicles of drones reviewing images of occupied homes and grid data to see who is and who isn't buying power.