Author Topic: Look out! It's a cross!  (Read 18723 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Re: Look out! It's a cross!
« Reply #75 on: September 21, 2009, 02:34:21 PM »
She can be offended all she likes though, it isn't like she is trying to sue anyone, is she?  If she is trying to sue, then she is, of course, in the wrong.  But hey, if it makes her uncomfortable then she can write a letter to the editor and try to get the chain to establish an official policy banning articles of faith.  No need to 'crucify' her over expressing an opinion.

Nobody here is "crucifying" anyone, but the complaints about the crucifix are absurd.  Anyone making such complaints can expect a little heckling.  Maybe such silly people should exercise their right not to make fools of themselves.  In fact, they can borrow mine.  I never use it anyway.   =)

We don't know whether she wants to sue, but it looks as though some have thought about it, and decided it wouldn't work.  See this bit from later in the same article:

Karen Aroesty of the Anti-Defamation League of St. Louis said that despite a number of calls complaining about the display, her organization will not lodge an official complaint with Schnucks.

"After some significant discussion within the Jewish and interfaith communities, we felt this was not a battle that should be pressed right now," Aroesty said....

Some critics have said that because more than half of Culinaria's funding came from government sources such as tax credits and the Missouri Development Finance Board (which owns the building in which the store is situated), the store should be held to church-state limitations.

City resident Thomas Duda, who is Catholic, has made the crucifix an issue on his blog, notmymayor.com. He says a company that received public funding to build a store should not blatantly express a specific religious belief that could be offensive or uncomfortable to some who shop there. In an interview, Duda added that he would like Schnucks to prohibit individual managers from endorsing a specific religion.

But church-state legal experts said the establishment clause of the First Amendment was meant to prohibit the government's endorsement of religion, and that it would be a stretch to claim that a private business utilizing tax benefits would be comparable.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2009, 02:52:43 PM »
Nobody here is "crucifying" anyone, but the complaints about the crucifix are absurd.  Anyone making such complaints can expect a little heckling.  Maybe such silly people should exercise their right not to make fools of themselves.  In fact, they can borrow mine.  I never use it anyway.   =)

We don't know whether she wants to sue, but it looks as though some have thought about it, and decided it wouldn't work.  See this bit from later in the same article:

I hope they were just talking about something like a boycott, but realized they would look intolerant.

I agree she is due for heckling, I even heckled her a bit!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »
Lots of people are ethnically Jews but don't observe the customs at all.

For example. I love me some bacon.

I know.  Why do you mention it?  ???

No....he REALLY loves bacon....

http://www.cinestatic.com/infinitethought/uploaded_images/piggy-759268.jpg

....hope 2swap & the pirates don't find out....  :O
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2009, 03:22:43 PM »
I hope they were just talking about something like a boycott, but realized they would look intolerant.

I hope they get around to apologizing for stirring things up.   =)
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2009, 04:06:08 PM »
I hope they get around to apologizing for stirring things up.   =)

I wouldn't hold my breath.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2009, 08:41:55 PM »
All this talk of kosher is making me feel excluded. 
I forgot what the hell the thread is about. I have to go back to the beginning.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2009, 08:49:48 PM »
Ohhhh, now I remember.  I'd say she's the at least one in every crowd that has to make life miserable for everybody else. I help run a music society here. I have THREE and they all hate and bicker with each other. We "marginalize" them. Weinstock merely needs to be "marginalized" or "margarinized", whatever...  =)
Avoid cliches like the plague!

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2009, 08:50:08 PM »
I want cinnamon rolls.
Look, tiny text!

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2009, 04:02:37 PM »
...with bacon... :P
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.