Author Topic: Now My Dog is Worse For the Environment Than My 4X4 - Eat Your Pet (Merged Topics)  (Read 37211 times)

Racehorse

• friend
Re: Now My Dog is Worse For the Environment Than My 4X4
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2009, 05:13:01 PM »
Unfortunately, our dogs recycle their own waste. I wish they didn't.

I'm so sick of hearing about what I can do to be green and save the planet that I just don't care anymore. I believe in sensible conservation, but I'm so tired of hearing about it. The media need to just shut up about it already.

If a dog has a big carbon footprint, just think about a child. Pretty soon the environmentalists will start calling people with children "Breeders" and stuff and saying we need to control the human population.

Oh, wait...

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2009, 07:01:29 PM »
Speaking of crunchy tootsie roll treats in a litter box, I once knew a dog that enjoyed cleaning up after pigs on the farm.  I wouldn't let him lick me afterwards, but I guess he was at least an environmentally-friendly creature.   =D

I can go you one better than that.  =D

When we lived in logging camp and had an outhouse back in the trees, the huskie puppies would ... well, you don't want to know what they did, but I didn't have to dig a new hole for quite a while  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

crt360

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2009, 07:04:40 PM »

We need another name for people who like self-reliance, alternate energy, conserving resources, etc. but as a choice, versus ramming the concept down people's throat in a regulatory and snooty "Prius owner" kind of way.

I think it used to be "smelly hippie".  :D
For entertainment purposes only.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2009, 07:43:37 PM »
Back at home our dogs liked to eat the horse poop sometimes,  :lol: I wonder how big of a carbon footprint a horse makes.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2009, 08:22:41 PM »
Kelly Jeffery, a Paraparaumu german shepherd breederwho once owned a large SUV, said eliminating traditional pets was "over the top".

Rin Tin Tin, a retired German Shepherd cinematic "personality," said eliminating eco-architects would be a good start but difficult to achieve because they are mostly skinny little [bleeps] and not especially tasty, so there's little incentive to eat them.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #30 on: October 23, 2009, 08:23:49 PM »
I'm so sick of hearing about what I can do to be green and save the planet that I just don't care anymore.

I'm with you, except I never cared much in the first place.  Unless I become Amish or go live with an indigenous Amazon tribe, there will never be anything about my lifestyle that's even remotely environmental and, if you're reading this, yours either.

The bottom line is that I'm not willing to make those kinds of sacrifices.  I enjoy my modern, convenient lifestyle, and I'm not dense enough to believe that throwing a few cans and scraps of paper in a bin once a week will even slightly make up for it.  I know many people who live just as I do, who fill that silly bin once a week and feel gut-wrenchingly guilty about how they live..  ;/
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 08:31:23 PM by Declaration Day »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #31 on: October 23, 2009, 09:15:18 PM »
there will never be anything about my lifestyle that's even remotely environmental and, if you're reading this, yours either.

Easy, killer.

Some of us actually do a fair bit to recycle or otherwise keep that trash bin from overflowing each Thursday morning, whether mandated by municipality or a conservationist upbringing.

No need to denigrate us for that choice.

"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #32 on: October 24, 2009, 07:36:12 AM »
Some of us actually do a fair bit to recycle or otherwise keep that trash bin from overflowing each Thursday morning, whether mandated by municipality or a conservationist upbringing.

Perhaps I should have explained better that the people I am denigrating are the ones who use just as many resources as I do, but get on their high horse about being environmentally responsible when the ONLY thing they do about it is throw a few cans and newspapers in a 2' X 1.5' box once a week.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #33 on: October 24, 2009, 10:59:40 AM »
I meant my comment to poke fun at my own lack of flexibility.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 24, 2009, 12:27:45 PM »
What would be the point of replacing a pet that is not socially acceptable to eat with another that is?  We still wouldn't eat it.  Also, how many people stop with just one rabbit?  There would likely be more of them than the dogs and cats now.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Lee

• friend
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2009, 01:16:08 PM »
So basically, if I make a donation to the dog pound for euthanasia, I 'm good to go on that new Hummer? Vexing situation for sure.

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2009, 01:20:41 PM »
What would be the point of replacing a pet that is not socially acceptable to eat with another that is?  We still wouldn't eat it.  Also, how many people stop with just one rabbit?  There would likely be more of them than the dogs and cats now.
They don't even get that right. Dogs, cats etc = pets. Cows, chickens, pigs = yummy food.
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2009, 08:13:50 PM »
They don't even get that right. Dogs, cats etc = pets. Cows, chickens, pigs = yummy food.
But they are not even yummy food if they are made into pets.  Pets are pets.  They are not generally eaten by their owners.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2009, 08:21:33 PM »
But they are not even yummy food if they are made into pets.  Pets are pets.  They are not generally eaten by their owners.
What's a little childhood trauma compared with saving the planet?  =D

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2009, 08:49:11 PM »
Maybe if we fed our dogs ethanol, we'd be more enviro-conscious.....

....either that....or stupid people...there seems to be a lot of those around lately....  =D
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2009, 11:12:09 PM »
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2009, 11:12:52 PM »
You find the best pictures, Harold.... :lol:
Hi.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2009, 11:13:51 AM »
Easy, killer.

No need to denigrate us for that choice.

I read something a while back that said the techniques used to reprocess recyclables into usable raw materials usually consume more resources than producing those same raw materials anew.  The reason was that we have much more/better capital infrastructure set up around producing new materials, and therefore the processes that produce the raw materials from scratch tend to be slightly more efficient in their use of resources.

It was interesting food for thought.  "Recycling is good" may not be as axiomatic as we all think it is.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 11:29:49 AM by Headless Thompson Gunner »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2009, 11:28:54 AM »
Having been downwind from the rendering plant in Omaha, NE, I concur wholeheartedly.   =|
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2009, 11:44:31 AM »
I have always found it interesting that the enviros push "recycle" the most from their mantra of "reduce, reuse, recycle". They actually have that in the right order regarding effective conservation of resources, but recycling gets all the advertising. Personally, I think it goes back to my Prius Owner theory that things like recycling are more "showy" of someone "doing something" so it's more popular than the other two.

I don't have the engineering background to give an expert opinion, but common sense seems to indicate to me that recycling things like certain paper, batteries, and some metals (like cash for clunkers cars) is going to create at least as much pollution and hazardous byproducts (maybe more) as producing them from scratch.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2009, 01:03:01 PM »
Producing dogs from scratch isn't too difficult.  =D

Though some folks do prefer to get recycled dogs from the pound ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamie B

• friend
  • I am Abynormal
« Reply #47 on: October 25, 2009, 06:42:08 PM »
I trust my Golden Retreiver more than most of the non-family humans that I have interacted with.

I will not be eating or selling her too soon............

Jamie
Greatness lies not in being strong, but in the right use of strength - Henry Ward Beecher

The Almighty tells me He can get me out of this mess, but He’s pretty sure you’re f**ked! - Stephen

Antibubba

• friend
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2009, 01:04:44 AM »
Quote from: Declaration Day
  I'm not dense enough to believe that throwing a few cans and scraps of paper in a bin once a week will even slightly make up for it.  I know many people who live just as I do, who fill that silly bin once a week and feel gut-wrenchingly guilty about how they live.

I recycle all of my plastic, metal, and glass.  Either I run it down to the collectors for a little gas money, or I leave it in the alley "for the homeless". ;)  I don't do it out of guilt or for self-righteousness, but because it seems sensible.  It seems so normal that when I go somewhere where recycling bins aren't available I find myself carrying my containers home.
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

dm1333

• friend
« Reply #49 on: October 27, 2009, 08:04:59 PM »
"A lot of people worry about having SUVs but they don't worry about having Alsatians and what we are saying is, well, maybe you should be because the environmental impact ... is comparable."

My dog has already put in a call to Cass Sunstein about a lawsuit.