Author Topic: Home Depot worker wears 'under God' button more than year, then gets fired  (Read 9916 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Home Depot worker wears 'under God' button more than year, then gets fired
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2009, 07:32:01 PM »
No, they don't have to, but the policy states "company buttons only."  So I hope they apply it fairly.  Don't you? 

Considering I am not a Home Depot employee, and only rarely a Home Depot customer, and further, not a Christian in any way, shape or, form, no, I don't really care.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 07:33:52 PM »
Considering I am not a Home Depot employee, and only rarely a Home Depot customer, and further, not a Christian in any way, shape or, form, no, I don't really care.

I fail to see how any of the criteria you listed apply to the situation.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 07:35:43 PM »
I fail to see how any of the criteria you listed apply to the situation.

Isn't this a thread about a Home Depot employee fired for beng open about his religious beliefs?

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 10:40:48 PM »
And if you're not a woman, you shouldn't have an opinion about abortion?   ;/

Yes, of course legally Home Depot ought to be allowed to hang a "No Christians Allowed; Gay Militant Atheist Democrats Welcome" sign.  

But there is no reason why you or I shouldn't express an opinion about it.  IF, and that's an "if" over there, IF Home Depot is enforcing this policy on God buttons, but ignoring policy violations from environmentalist buttons or gun-rights buttons, then I would expect you to also be put off by such.  It's dishonest, if nothing else.  
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 01:21:24 AM by fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2009, 01:22:48 AM »
imho he was let go for political reasons and they used "policy"
as a cover story, I expect Loews etc to get a boost in Florida
lots of Christians there will buy elsewhere.

Funny enough, I got fired for by Christians once ( in Florida )
for liking different parts of the Bible and not going along with them.

They saw me reading on my break, and said "oh how nice"
& I replied "its better then Melrose Place, lots of sex and violence"
They got real angry and asked me what I was talking about, I can't remeber now...maybe Midian ...but anyway I got let go for something else that everyone was doing.

I am a Christian still though, just without a Church to go to or any other Christians to hang out with.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2009, 01:42:21 AM »
But there is no reason why you or I shouldn't express an opinion about it.

Sure.

But then on the other hand:

Suppose the guy had been coming to work with a button that says ABORTION IS REALLY AWESOME. Or some atheist button. Do you think you would be equally outraged if he were fired?

Now, I am not trying to allege hypocrisy here - that'd be cheap.

My point is: there's no civil rights issue involved (except under current law). There's no civil right (except as invented by leftists) to get hired.

So, somewhere out there, a store which sells products I rarely buy fires a guy belonging to a social majority I don't belong to. Probably not the most fair thing in the world, no. But there are far greater injustices, even in America, even inflicted on Christians.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2009, 07:47:20 AM »
Suppose the guy had been coming to work with a button that says ABORTION IS REALLY AWESOME. Or some atheist button. Do you think you would be equally outraged if he were fired?

It's like you haven't read a single word I've said, and you're just reacting to what you would have expected me to say.    

First of all, I'm not outraged. I think they have a right to ban "flair," and to fire anyone that wears it. I thought I made that pretty clear.  

Secondly, I've been saying they should apply the policy fairly.  How much more explicit could I be?

My point is: there's no civil rights issue involved (except under current law). There's no civil right (except as invented by leftists) to get hired.
Then why are you arguing with me?  I agree with you.  ???
So, somewhere out there, a store which sells products I rarely buy fires a guy belonging to a social majority I don't belong to. Probably not the most fair thing in the world, no. But there are far greater injustices, even in America, even inflicted on Christians.
Sigh.  Nobody said it was the Spanish Inquisition.  I didn't say you had to care.  I DO find it funny that you spend so much time in this thread, claiming not to care about the subject you've posted on a number of times by now.   :rolleyes:

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2009, 09:25:26 AM »
Somewhat ironic, yes.

He wouldn't be our beloved MB The Deliberately Obtuse, otherwise.  ;)
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2009, 09:29:08 AM »
I don't think posting in a thread qualifies as 'caring' all that much.

Otherwise we'd all qualify as 'very concerned' about... I don't know, any of the silly things people post about.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2009, 06:55:19 PM »
Oh, wait.  It seems he's threatening to sue now.  I'm not so sure he has anything to sue over.  On the other hand, making a federal case out of every little thing has worked for the left, so...

http://www.wtop.com/?nid=111&sid=1796146

Nor do I. 

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2009, 07:44:24 PM »

Otherwise we'd all qualify as 'very concerned' about... I don't know, any of the silly things people post about.

Ahh, but not posting at all, that shows you really don't give a hoot.

As for the OP, lose the flair, bucko, if management & policy so dictate.  Although, getting after him after/because he brought a Bible to read is something to get a bit frisky about.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton