Author Topic: Cleaning the Bathtub  (Read 4336 times)

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Cleaning the Bathtub
« on: March 17, 2005, 11:18:51 AM »
When I moved into the house I am renting the bathtub was not pristine. Despite some light clean up I really have not tried to get the bathtub to a better looking state. I have come to realize that I have put off a thorough cleaning of my bathtub for too long, much to my regret. What I am looking for is the most effective cleaner that will enable me to clean it with the least amount of time and effort. (Yes, I am a little lazy.)

Does anyone know of a commercial cleaner that meets my requirements?
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

stevelyn

• friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 11:28:55 AM »
>.......looking for the most effective cleaner that will enable me to clean it with the least amount of time and effort.<

Use soap and shampoo the next time you take a shower. cheesy
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

onions!

Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 11:32:24 AM »
Well,a belt sander will remove most stains but you might not appreciate the texture on your tootsies.

What kind of stains are we talking about?Rust,hard water(calcium),garden variety ring around the bath tub?

Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 11:37:36 AM »
Besides being allergic to Aspirin , I have always had problems with Chlorine products giving me fits, setting off my allergies, and oh...what a headache I get.

So a long time ago I  got far far away from Comet, Bleach, or anything one usually uses.

Bon Ami works very very well to clean both Fibeglass and Porcelan bath tubs, sinks and toliet.  "Hasn't scratched yet"  - is true.  After I shower , I wipe off / squeegee the walls and such.  Regular Isopropol  Alcohol works  well to clean as well.

I use Simple Green quite a bit as well.  You will not believe what I use when I am out of Bon -Ami.  

Baking Soda.

Yep, does a GREAT Job of cleaning  , great for stainless sinks, tubs , toliets ...you name it.  It too does not scratch or harm fiberglass or porcelan.  Great thing is - it rinses off and leaves NO film.

I might spray with Simple Green , or ETOH , then shake some soda to sit. soak....light scrub, rinse off and done.

I like the simple and especially stuff that does not cost an arm and leg to use.

HTH

StopTheGrays

• friend
  • bah...
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 11:49:15 AM »
Quote from: 41mag
Well,a belt sander will remove most stains but you might not appreciate the texture on your tootsies.

What kind of stains are we talking about?Rust,hard water(calcium),garden variety ring around the bath tub?
Some of all you listed including soap as well as what I can only think is varnish drippings. The ceiling above the bathtub slopes to meet the plastic that protects the walls the tub is next to, the ceiling is wood and covered in varnish. It looks like the owner or previous occupant did a crap job applying the varnish because there are drip lines going all the down and into the tub. Those are going to be a pain to remove but that is for another time. Unless there is a cleaner that can take care of them as well.
Does any image illustrate so neatly the wrongheadedness of the Obama administration than Americans scrambling in terror from Air Force One?
Just great…Chicago politics has spread to all 57 states.
They told me if I voted for John McCain, my country would look like it is run by people with a disturbing affinity towards fascism. And they were right!

onions!

Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 11:51:43 AM »
Quote from: sm
Bon Ami works very very well to clean both Fibeglass and Porcelan bath tubs, sinks and toliet.  "Hasn't scratched yet"  - is true.
A little Bon Ami trivia?

It is a most excellent glass cleaner too.Will not scratch glass.Somewhere around here I have a half dozen bottles of it that have been overlabeled by General Motors just for that purpose.

Penman

Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 12:04:15 PM »
There are some bathtub/toilet cleaners that are acidic, and they will do a quick job of taking out stains and accumulated dirt. You definitely need to use them with ventilation, such as the fan going and windo open if it has a window. You'll need to wear eye protection and wash you hands thoroughly afterwards. Call a local wholesale restaurant or janitorial supply company for their best recommendation.

crt360

• friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2005, 12:22:11 PM »
Cover the tub with paper towels and pour white vinegar on them.  Be sure the vinegar soaks in good and covers everything.  Let it sit there for a couple of hours.  Come back and wipe it up.  You will be amazed at how much soap scum and hard water stain will be removed.  Your bathroom will smell like you've been making pickles, but it doesn't last (and hey, who's bathroom hasn't smelled worse?)  If this sounds like too much work, just get some Lime-Away a heavy plastic bristled brush and get after it.  I have tried approximately every household cleaner made in the last 30 years and found nothing that works better on hard water stains (which seem to adhere everything else stainlike to the tub, counter, toilet, etc.) than Lime-Away and for those opposed to harsh chemicals, vinegar.  The vinegar needs more time to work and the Lime-Away needs a lot more ventilation.
For entertainment purposes only.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2005, 02:06:52 PM »
If you have a porcelain tub (not plastic) try a pumice stone. It will take off just about any stain and you don't have to worry about chemical problems.

Moondoggie

• friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2005, 02:18:29 PM »
My wife & I had a "side business" at one of my duty stations doing cleanups in base housing after "tenants" moved out.

For bathrooms I used a palm sander with Scotchbrite instead of sandpaper.  A little bit of cleanser goes along way.  Any type of cleaning product will do.  Whatever doesn't irritate you.  Simple Green was our staple cleaner.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

brimic

• friends
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2005, 03:17:14 PM »
I now use orange flavored soft scrub. It works well with no skin irritation and no noxious fumes.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2005, 07:31:05 PM »
Phased plasma rifle in the 40-watt range
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2005, 09:13:04 PM »
I now use orange flavored soft scrub. It works well with no skin irritation and no noxious fumes.
Well, if the flavor doesn't bother you, I hardly think you'd be bothered by fumes.....cheesy
Hi.

brimic

• friends
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2005, 11:09:19 PM »
"Well, if the flavor doesn't bother you, I hardly think you'd be bothered by fumes....."

Hey, have I told you about the funny looking pills the proctologist prescribed me?
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Moondoggie

• friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2005, 04:47:00 AM »
Just be sure to remove the foil wrapper before inserting those funny looking pills!!!!!  Ouch!!!!!

(I actually had a pharmacy tech mention that to me once as I picked-up a prescription for my beloved....said one person didn't understand that you had to remove the wrapper and now they had to "warn" everybody getting suppositories.)

Apology tendered for thread drift.
Known from coast to coast, almost!

Sawdust

• friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2005, 10:19:54 AM »
Nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.

HTH,

Sawdust
Retain what's coming in; send off what is retreating.

Well, you going to pull those pistols boy,
or just whistle Dixie?

I'm your huckleberry.

Control Group

• http://control-group.livejournal.com
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2005, 10:27:13 AM »
Quote from: Sawdust
Nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure.
Cleaning the bathtub was a bad call; it was a bad call, and I'm sorry.

Wildalaska

• friend
Cleaning the Bathtub
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2005, 07:29:09 PM »
Find a maid to do it for ya

WildseeiamasexistAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/