Author Topic: Libertarian official is registered sex offender  (Read 2397 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Libertarian official is registered sex offender
« on: November 08, 2009, 04:30:23 PM »
I couldn't, in my wildest dreams, make this up.

http://www.sbsun.com/ci_13732035?source=most_viewed

Libertarian official is registered sex offender
James Rufus Koren, Staff Writer
Posted: 11/06/2009 04:49:09 PM PST

When members of the San Bernardino County Libertarian Party elected Matthew Barnes as the group's vice chairman for 2010, they knew he was a registered sex offender.

"The members of the party that voted for him, they voted for him knowing he had completed his time and his punishment and didn't want to hold that against him," said Paul Darr, the county party chairman, who says he's planning a run for the State Assembly. "He completed his punishment by the state and has been reformed."

Barnes, 41, pleased guilty in 1993 to three countes of lewd or lascivious acts with a child under 14 years old, according to court records. The crimes were committed in the summer of 1987, when Barnes was 19.

Barnes did not return messages left with the party chairman.

Court records detailing the specifics of Barnes' offenses were not immediately available. Darr said he did not know details of the crimes. But it likely wouldn't matter, at this point.

"There's nothing that gives us the authority to remove him from his position," Darr said.

He added that Barnes is "not in the position to do any harm to individuals."

Darr appears to be more accepting of Barnes' past than some party leaders.

Michael Mendez, the county party's outgoing secretary, said Barnes is "a nice guy" who has done a lot for the party. But Mendez plans to cut ties to the party when his term as secretary ends in December.

"I'm a deacon of my church," he said. "I work with children. ... I deal with lots of people who would say, 'That's not a good idea, Mike."'

Darr said he hopes having a registered sex offender in a leadership role doesn't give people the wrong impression about the Libertarian Party, which bills itself as "socially tolerant" and "fiscally responsible."

"I hope it would show that members of the party, while being aware of people's past, are willing to take in people that have reformed," Darr said. "Hopefully it's not taken as us harboring criminals."

Jack Pitney, a professor of political science at Clarmont McKenna College, said Libertarian Party members generally don't care enough about winning elections to keep such public relations snafus from happening.

"A lot of people in both (major) parties, and independents as well, have libertarian beliefs, but this is the kind of problem that keeps them from even thinking about the Libertarian Party," he said, noting that Barnes' case is not the first of its kind.

"Not long ago, the Libertarian Party's candidate for lieutenant governor was Norma Jean Almodovar," Pitney said. "She was a prostitute."

Well, hte last bit about running a whore for Lt Gov at least has the virtue of being dang funny.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: Libertarian official is registered sex offender
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 04:42:15 PM »
Wasn't there once a former prostitute [in the sense of no longer working in the profession] that became a member of the California state legislature?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Vodka7

• friend
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 04:48:53 PM »
The LP is a bunch of unorganized whackos, but there's something to be said for forging a 41 year old who has served his time for the sins he made as a 19 year old.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2009, 04:51:27 PM »
i need to know how much under 14 the girl was.  assuming it was a girl
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2009, 04:52:02 PM »
i need to know how much under 14 the girl was.  assuming it was a girl

And what the "acts" consisted of?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2009, 05:19:09 PM »
Let us not overlook that he was 19 at the time. I suspect that the entirety of my high school football team and most of the basketball team could have been convicted of the same thing, although when I was in high school it wouldn't have required registration as a sex offender.

19 - 14 ... that's a senior makin' it with a sophomore (maybe a freshman). BIG DEAL.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2009, 05:25:12 PM »
Well, there is an RSO who is a member of a neighboring VFD.  The fire chief is the under-sheriff of that county.  Not being a native here, I don't know any more than that.  =|

I think everyone should worry about the guys that haven't been caught yet ... 
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin