Author Topic: Gun and ammo shortage and it's impact on smaller businesses?  (Read 1463 times)

Lee

• friend
Gun and ammo shortage and it's impact on smaller businesses?
« on: February 17, 2013, 05:50:18 PM »
The shortage just seems weirder and weirder to me by the day. I visited the shop closest to me yesterday.  They are almost sold out of handguns. They are limiting the ammo they have to 2 boxes per person. The employees seemed very concerned that they would soon have nothing left to sell. Then I went to Gander Mountain.  It was busier than I'd ever seen it...it was like being at a sporting event or something...packed house, long lines...like 30 long lines.
I was reading today that some of the major firearms manufactures might be a year or two trying to catch up with back orders.  I'm assuming that the big box stores, and larger independents will get first dibs on orders. Do you think an unintended consequence of this (or intended if you take the foil off) might be that many smaller stores going out of business, at least temporarily?  

Added: The local shop had a big sign up front " WE BUY USED GUNS".  On the way home I heard a radio ad from another shop advertising the same thing - "WE BUY USED GUNS, IF YOU HAVE ONE OR TWO, OR TWO HUNDRED -CALL US".
Also, Gander Mountain had several several crews in the stores to buy used guns.  I didn't see any sellers though.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 05:57:24 PM by Lee »

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Re: Gun and ammo shortage and it's impact on smaller businesses?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 06:07:06 PM »
I'm curious how any place smaller than Gander Mountain/Cabelas/etc. can even hope to get new inventory delivered.

In a perfect world, all orders of ammo and guns should go to whomever places them.  I'm not so sure that's the case nowadays, though...
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2013, 06:16:24 PM »
Even raising prices will only tide a business over for so long. No inventory is a very bad thing for the guy that can't make it up in other areas. Used guns, wider range of product, etc.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2013, 06:52:43 PM »
A local place that's been around five years or so, went on hiatus in November.  (Financial fiddling to get out from under a building they couldn't afford.)  Word I get is that they're open again.  I'll have to drop by.  I have no idea what they might have managed to get, at this point in the game, to reboot their business with.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »
Guns and ammo are still be made at the same (or perhaps slightly higher) rate then they were before the panic.  The only difference is that now instead of sitting on the shelves for weeks/months/years at a time.  They are being bought as soon as they arrive.  Which has booth good and bad sides for shops.

Good:
Inventory turns are almost measured in minutes, instead of weeks or months.  Yes, while wants are going unfulfilled, product is going out the front the door as fast as it's coming the in the back door.  Which is what every business wants, sell inventory as quickly as possible.  And from various reports manufacturers are doing what they can to increase production while looking ahead to when the panic ends.

Bad:  
Cash flow for smaller shops.  They made their pile by selling pretty much anything and everything they had on hand.  Which hopefully means that they are smart now that there's possibly less cash coming in now due to the inventory constriction.  Rent/Mortage/Insurance/Salaries/etc. still have to be paid each month while they wait for the supply chain to catch up with demand.   But if they are selling everything they can get their hands on, and properly managing their cash flow, they should be okay.

Getting new product.
Manufacturers sell to distributors.  Distributors sell to retailers, large, small, internet and mail order.  Each one probably has their own way of determining who gets what.   Most are probably on some type of allocation system.  Meaning everyone gets a percentage of what they ordered/asked for.   That way everybody gets something to sell which will keep everyone (hopefully) in business.  

Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.