Author Topic: UK: Bit of a change from the usual UK news - Victoria Cross awarded  (Read 3174 times)

Iain

• friend
Private Johnson Beharry has been awarded the Victoria Cross. The full citation reads as follows:

"Private Beharry carried out two individual acts of great heroism by which he saved the lives of his comrades.

Both were in direct face of the enemy, under intense fire, at great personal risk to himself (one leading to him sustaining very serious injuries).

His valour is worthy of the highest recognition."
Rest is to be found here. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4360461.stm

It's the first VC awarded since the Falklands, and we've been engaged in a few places since then, so congrats to this guy.

Another bit:

The impact of this rocket destroyed Beharry's armoured periscope, so he was forced to drive the vehicle through the remainder of the ambushed route, some 1,500 metres long, with his hatch opened up and his head exposed to enemy fire, all the time with no communications with any other vehicle.

During this long surge through the ambushes the vehicle was again struck by rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire.

While his head remained out of the hatch, to enable him to see the route ahead, he was directly exposed to much of this fire, and was himself hit by a 7.62mm bullet, which penetrated his helmet and remained lodged on its inner surface.

Despite this harrowing weight of incoming fire Beharry continued to push through the extended ambush, still leading his platoon until he broke clean.
I do not like, when with me play, and I think that you also

Stand_watie

• friend
UK: Bit of a change from the usual UK news - Victoria Cross awarded
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 02:47:08 PM »
Bravo, good man. There will probably be more coming regarding this campaign though, these things take a little time to trickle through the military beaurocracy.

Now who knows the best American equivalent to Victoria Cross? Silver Star? Medal of Honor?
Yizkor. Lo Od Pa'am

"You can have my gun when you pry it from my cold dead fingers"

"Never again"

"Malone Labe"

wasrjoe

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 03:18:11 PM »
Incredible. Thank you guys, as a whole, for all the help that you've provided us.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 07:31:16 PM »
I heard that any Frenchman who deosnt surrender upon hearing a shot fired gets the Legion D Honour...

They have only awrded one since Napolean

WildandheyhewasntevenfrenchAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 11:48:26 PM »
A good reminder that  there are other nations, Britian in particular, helping carry the load in Iraq, and doing so with distinction.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 02:10:16 AM »
Quote from: Stand_watie
Now who knows the best American equivalent to Victoria Cross? Silver Star? Medal of Honor?
It is equivalent to the Medal of Honor. It is the highest award withing their military and, like the medal of honor, requires extreme heroism in the face of enemy fire.

IIRC one of the big differences is that the Victoria Cross there was at one time not awarded posthumously whereas the MOH has often been awarded to those who died in their efforts. I believe that in recent years this has changed both awards are held to very similar criteria.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2005, 08:18:54 AM »
Without looking it up, who knows the source of the metal that is used to strike VCs?
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2005, 11:46:41 AM »
Same metal as a Guard's sword, right?
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »
"Same metal as a Guard's sword, right?"

Nope.

The metals are cast (not struck) from bronze that originated with cannons captured by the British during the Crimean war, supposedly at the siege of Sevastopal. Some historians now doubt that the cannons were at the siege, but it's apparently true that they were captured from the Russians, who apparently took them from the Chinese at some point in time.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

Iapetus

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 03:12:11 AM »
c_yeager
IIRC one of the big differences is that the Victoria Cross there was at one time not awarded posthumously whereas the MOH has often been awarded to those who died in their efforts. I believe that in recent years this has changed both awards are held to very similar criteria.
"Recently" was 1920, according to this website.  http://www.victoriacross.net/facts.asp

I think I heard somewhere that most VCs have infact been awarded posthmously, but I couldn't find any statistics to back it up.

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2005, 12:25:07 AM »
Quote from: Iapetus
I think I heard somewhere that most VCs have infact been awarded posthmously, but I couldn't find any statistics to back it up.
I dont think so. If they didnt start to award them posthumously untill 1920 then there have only been relatively few given out. If you check out the stats on the page you linked ( http://www.victoriacross.net/stats.asp ) even if we assume that ALL of the awards issued post-1920 were posthumous then they still dont come anywhere near the majority.

1156 awarded from 1858-1919
198 awarded post 1920