Author Topic: Torn over new car choice: Subaru WRX STi or Dodge Magnum?  (Read 10721 times)

DJJ

• friend
Torn over new car choice: Subaru WRX STi or Dodge Magnum?
« on: March 18, 2005, 03:45:47 PM »
I've been thinking of buying one of these or another for over 6 months now. Each has something I want; neither has everything. I realize both are expensive, but with the down payment I've been saving for, they're within my budget.

The problem is, I can't think of any basis on which to make a decision. I don't have a family, so room isn't a real concern. They're both rated at about the same mileage, but the Subaru needs premium gas. The Dodge can tow up to 3800 lb., but I've towed something maybe three times in my entire life. They both have loads of power (Hemi in the Dodge, of course). The Dodge is cooler, but since when should "cool" be an issue? The recent Durango ball-joint recall (and the bad time my sister-in-law got trying to get hers fixed) has me worried about the Dodge.

So there it is - each has its pluses and minuses. This would be a daily driver. I have an F150 for the trips to the Home Despot.

Oh, and I realize I'll be taking a big hit on depreciation and all, but the choice is between these two - not between new and used.

What say you?

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2005, 03:50:14 PM »
That Subaru is the BOMB!!!  A friend has one.  It'll run circles around the Magnum and it'll give an M3 a run for its money.  I imagine the Subaru costs more than the Magnum, no???

Greg

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2005, 04:00:29 PM »
Yeah, but not a lot more. To get the Hemi, you have to get quite a few upgrades with it. Sticker is around $31k; sticker on the Subaru is $33.

wasrjoe

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2005, 04:03:23 PM »
Magnums are ugly. For what that's worth. Tongue
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2005, 04:30:53 PM »
The Subie is faster, and the ordinary WRX can tow 2000 lbs, so the extra 70 Hp and torque could make the STi tow more, I'd bet.

Plus, nothing beats a nice controlled AWD drift. Cheesy  You won't be dissapointed with it.  It's trackable in it's stock configuration (road courses, not quarter mile track).  You can join the Subaru Cult...I mean Club!  Club, that's it.  I'm still part of it even though I sold my Subaru.  You can't leave it, really. Check out www.nasioc.com - in the forums, I'm jamz over there too.  There are a couple of NASIOC'ers here and on THR.

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

brimic

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2005, 06:27:10 PM »
Dat thing godda hehmi, duh?

Subaru all the way. Smiley
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Dannyboy

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 06:37:44 PM »
What Greg said.  FWIW, the used STi's I've seen so far have held their value pretty well.  I won't be able to afford an STi anytime soon but I'm hoping to buy a WRX in the next year or so.
Oh, Lord, please let me be as sanctimonious and self-righteous as those around me, so that I may fit in.

Cool Hand Luke 22:36

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 09:56:57 PM »
For what it's worth, Tom and Ray (Click and Clack) at Car Talk really panned the WRX. They found it to have a really bad setup for the turbo, with a pronounced lag before the turbo kicks in that seriously detracts from the car's performance.

Try an extended test drive before you buy it.

And...why not consider an '05 Mustang GT while your at it. Same price range.
"Any fool can make a rule, and any fool will mind it."
Henry David Thoreau

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 10:35:15 PM »
WRX STi,  if i had an extra 34k burning a whole in my pocket its what I'd get.
Or maybe a 1997 toyota supra TT. that is a sweet car.

atek3

Schuey2002

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 10:38:17 PM »
Two more cars that are in that same size/price range are the Acura TSX and the Mitsubishi Evolution.. It's not going to hurt anything to take them both for a little "test spin".. Tongue

yesterdaysyouth

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2005, 03:59:57 AM »
consider that the WRX has been in production for years, just across the pond...  so there's a good chance most of the bugs have been worked out...

Ron

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2005, 04:29:07 AM »
CHL,
        Click and clack or whatever their names are must be talking about daily drivability.  There is nothing wrong with the STI's performance.  It will embarrass most every American car out there as far as straight line performance (mid 13 1/4 mile times) and will devastate just about everything in the twistys.

The Subaru is a thinly veiled rally race car.

http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/subaru_impreza_wrxsti_2005/15014/style_performance.html?refsrc=offnetwork%2Fcpc%2FPI

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2005, 05:20:32 AM »
I think Click and Clack must have been talking about the standard-level WRX, not the STi version. I've test driven both, and they're right about the WRX's turbo lag - there's absolutely nothing below 3000 RPM. But the STi moves right now.

I have considered a Mustang, but evidently Ford isn't interested in selling me one. They're doling out the stickshift GTs with an eye dropper. Plus, when my local dealer got one (that's ONE), they wouldn't let me test drive it. Two different Subaru dealers let me take out an STi, and Dodge had no problem letting me try one of several Hemi Magnums on the lot.

...has left the building.

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2005, 05:41:28 AM »
The STi beats the snot out of the Magnum in every way shape and form. Punch it and go and you will be impressed. Now you'll really be amazed at its capabilities when you get it going around a curvy road. A Magnum simply can't keep up.

Wedge

• friend
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2005, 01:00:46 PM »
I too am looking for a new car and I think I am going to get the Subaru Legacy GT.  I have thought about a Mustang GT but since I already have a 2002 I really didn't want another small 2 seater.  I thought about the STi but I don't think I could live with the rawness of it everyday and wanted a little more luxury (hence Legacy GT).  If my choice was between the Magnum and the STi I would go with the STi.

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2005, 05:09:49 PM »
I'd vote for the dodge... no replacement for displacement. They're pretty different cars though, so just go with the one that is more your style. Plus I dislike small cars, I think i'd be more comfortable in the dodge, but agian, your opinion is what matters.

buy guns

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2005, 05:22:13 PM »
STI!!!

dinosaur

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2005, 01:14:12 AM »
I'm thinking of buying a new Magnum AWD Hemi. My Corvette eats Subarus for lunch but if you don't have a clothes dryer, that wing can be mighty handy.Cheesy

Actually the Subaru Outback wagon now has a bigger motor. I need the wagon for my "stuff" and the new Charger isn't going to have AWD.Sad Really an apples or oranges decision.

Ukraine Train

• friend
    • http://ukrainetrain21.tripod.com
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2005, 04:05:42 AM »
How about a GTO?

Evil_Ed

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2005, 10:41:48 AM »
Before buying a dodge I would check out this website: http://www.daimlerchryslervehicleproblems.com/about_us.htm

Regards,
              Evil Ed

DJJ

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2005, 02:48:17 PM »
GTO...hmmm...don't care at all for the styling, but the numbers look impressive.

DigMe

« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2005, 06:22:04 AM »
I think the Magnum is cool but I think the Subaru is probably going to be more practical while being fun as well.  The Subarus have a pretty good reliability history don't they?  

brad cook

Kharn

• friend
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2005, 12:47:13 PM »
The Subaru is a thinly veiled rally race car.
Not that there's anything wrong with that. Cheesy (there's no devil icon Sad )

Kharn

dinosaur

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2005, 11:10:57 AM »
I was at a Dodge dealer yesterday. The 2005s are finished and you can now order a 2006. You can also order the new Charger sedan with the Hemi now. Hard to find a Hemi AWD on the lots. He had a Hemi RWD demonstrator and 3 SXTs, 2 were AWD.

The Chevy dealer I get my vehicles from also owns a big Subaru dealership. They go out the door like someone's giving them away.

mephisto

« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2005, 11:25:32 AM »
my dad has a GTO, '04, i love and so does he.  not as cool looking as it really should be.