Author Topic: Torn over new car choice: Subaru WRX STi or Dodge Magnum?  (Read 10704 times)

Schuey2002

• friend
Torn over new car choice: Subaru WRX STi or Dodge Magnum?
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2005, 09:06:33 AM »
Update request.

So, how's the search going? Smiley

DJJ

• friend
Torn over new car choice: Subaru WRX STi or Dodge Magnum?
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2005, 09:22:51 PM »
Well, I got the afternoon off, so I went and looked at a GTO. They look better in person than they do on Pontiac's web site, but I'm still reminded of a stretched Cavalier. Oh, well, consider it "stealth".

They don't have the raw "seriousness" of the Subaru; they're much more civilized (they're also much quieter and more comfortable - more of a grownup's sports car). They've still got it where it counts, though. I was idling along the freeway on the outskirts of Albuquerque, and I noticed I was doing *cough*ahundredandten*cough*. Plus, the layout is what I really wanted: a normally aspirated V-8, stickshift, rear wheel drive coupe.

So, though the Magnum still gets the style points, I'm now leaning toward the GTO. Thanks to Ukraine Train for calling it to my attention.

By the way: this is actually a rearranged Australian car, built by GM's Aussie subsidiary, Holden. Down there, it's the Holden Monaro. Fans of "Mad Max" will recognize the Holden Monaro as the car the Night Rider drove to his death in the opening chase scene.

www.madmaxmovies.com