Author Topic: Yay and Nay votes on House bill for Health Care  (Read 12740 times)

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Re: Yay and Nay votes on House bill for Health Care
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2010, 02:02:49 PM »
I wonder if the insurance plan the Congress has is considered a "Cadillac plan" or did they exempt themselves again?  :cuss:

They exempted themselves.
Hi.

• friend
« Reply #51 on: March 23, 2010, 03:49:36 PM »
They exempted themselves.

Of course!  They're special.  And they get to keep their plan, at your expense (if you are one of the few taxpayers left in this country), even after they retire.  "It's good to be king"... or in their case, "special".

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #52 on: March 23, 2010, 05:36:23 PM »
We should actively encourage our employers to discard health insurance plans.  Their fine is significantly less than the cost of insurance.  Individual fines are also significantly less than the cost of insurance.  Only buy insurance when you become ill. 

Semi-seriously though:

I'm a pretty healthy guy, and so is my wife.  We both have no ongoing prescriptions, and go to the doctor once a year.  Maybe twice.  Our GP's cash office visit fee is $60, and our copay/visit is $25.

Our employers provide us our annual vacinations free, and my car insurance has a pretty high personal injury policy in case of car accidents.

For years we've been paying more for insurance then we use (heck more then our total medical bills) because something might happen.  We might get cancer or some other nasty, expensive disease.

To top it off, we get no money back in taxes, or subsidies that the IRS could grap for "fees".

If I get cancer or whatever, I can buy insurance then, because they can't deny me coverage.

Why should I continue to pay for insurance?  What, other then my sense of honesty, could compel me to continue to underwrite other's healthcare?

brimic

• friends
« Reply #53 on: March 23, 2010, 05:48:49 PM »
If I get cancer or whatever, I can buy insurance then, because they can't deny me coverage.

Why should I continue to pay for insurance?  What, other then my sense of honesty, could compel me to continue to underwrite other's healthcare?

If the penalty for not having coverage is less than the coverage itself, there is no good reason economically or idealogically to have coverage until you need it under Obamacare.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #54 on: March 23, 2010, 05:53:05 PM »

That's one of the major faults of the bill. Many young people will wait until they're either sick or compelled to have insurance before getting it.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 05:59:15 PM »
That's one of the major faults of the bill. Many young people will wait until they're either sick or compelled to have insurance before getting it.

I'm 30, not that young.  But I could pour the money I save from not haveing health insurance into retirement, or a motorcycle, or something equally useful.  As a pure numbers game the odds of you needing expensive healthcare is pretty low.  That's not even counting medicare and the VA as I get older.

• friend
« Reply #56 on: March 24, 2010, 04:36:06 PM »
I'm 30, not that young.  But I could pour the money I save from not haveing health insurance into retirement, or a motorcycle, or something equally useful.

At your age, I suggest you pick the motorcycle.  Motorcycles are fun.  Health insurance is boring.  :laugh:

I chose not to have health insurance for many years.  Then I got married and decided I needed children.  Health insurance was a good thing to have.  That was just about the same time I sold my motorcycle.  I didn't get another one until after the kid grew up.  Oh, and I got divorced.  My next  and current wife liked motorcycles so we both got one.  And I still had money for health insurance so I didn't have to pick which I wanted.

Now, sadly, the motorcycles are gone again.  But not because we had to chose due to financial reasons.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #57 on: March 24, 2010, 07:09:52 PM »
i say buy ammo, easy to store, fun to use, handy to have, and can be traded. =D [tinfoil]