Author Topic: Mercury scrap value?  (Read 18556 times)

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
Mercury scrap value?
« on: April 10, 2010, 08:17:37 AM »
Is there anywhere to scrap out mercury? I'm reading some hign prices on the stuff and all I can see is reclamation. SOMEBODY is making a killing on this. I have at least 10 t'stat's which I'm going to turn in today at the haz waste disposal but I thought I'd try a quick post here while I go out and gather them up.

I hate when somebody makes money off of me and doesn't give me a cut.  :P

:lol:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
Re: Mercury scrap value?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 08:22:05 AM »
well I know you can create about 250,000 dollars of EPA grade work with 4 old thermometers and a Maryland middle school
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

280plus

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 08:36:24 AM »
OUCHIE!!  :O

Off to haz waste disposal I go...  =D

You know, I can remember 7th grade science class where we all put mercury in our hands and played with the stuff. Spilled it on the floor etc etc. Put pennies in it, turned them silver and walked around with them in our pockets. Imagine that now:P

Probably explains my slightly off kilteredness, or any portion thereof.   :laugh:

PTK

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 08:40:33 AM »
I will buy those off you as long as the mercury weight is under 16oz total. I can send you shipping instructions. Seriously, I will purchase them. PLEASE don't destroy them.  =|

EDIT: PM sent. I am quite serious about buying the metal as scrap if you'll sell it.  =)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 08:44:42 AM by PTK »
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Viking

• ❤︎ Fuck around & find out ❤︎
  • friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »
Hm. Mercury tipped bullets? =D :laugh:
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2010, 09:23:50 AM »
Hell no, Hg forms an amalgam with Pb.  :P

I use it for legitimate science use, in a controlled environment. I also occasionally pick up a large sealed vial I've made and just stare at it, slosh it around, etc. I've never found anything more fascinating in my life.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2010, 09:43:53 AM »
Hell no, Hg forms an amalgam with Pb.  :P

I use it for legitimate science use, in a controlled environment. I also occasionally pick up a large sealed vial I've made and just stare at it, slosh it around, etc. I've never found anything more fascinating in my life.
Yep, knew that. I wonder how many people that tried doing it though after reading the book?
“The modern world will not be punished. It is the punishment.” — Nicolás Gómez Dávila

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2010, 09:45:05 AM »
Yep, knew that. I wonder how many people that tried doing it though after reading the book?

???

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2010, 09:51:41 AM »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2010, 09:53:34 AM »
Ditto. Which book, Viking?

Løberg warned us about Swedes! Must have been because they're imprecise.  :lol:

Viking

• friend
  • Carnist Bloodmouth
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2010, 10:13:38 AM »
???
The Day Of The Jackal. Never read it?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 10:16:55 AM by Viking »

PTK

• friends
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2010, 10:17:36 AM »
The Day Of The Jackal. Never read it?

I hate violence, in books/movies/games alike.  =|

Back to the topic, though: PLEASE DON'T DISPOSE OF THE MERCURY! I'll pay for it.  =)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2010, 10:31:36 AM »
STOP do not turn anything in! ;) BRB gotta hunt a link [popcorn]

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2010, 10:40:38 AM »
if your willing to give out your email

but really have you priced a old mercury barometer lately? :O yeah not just the Hg but still just think how much money has been handed to uncle sugar for nothing. :mad:

280plus

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2010, 10:57:40 AM »
Too late I'm afraid...   =(

I only had a small time window to work with and I wanted this issue put to bed today so it's gone. That doesn't mean I can't come up with more however. It's only a matter of time.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 04:30:40 AM »

Mercury more fascinating than boobies?  Hand in your man card.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:31:46 AM »
Breasts can be found on any woman, and can be handled to her preferences.

Nice Hg, though? Rather RARE in the pure form in nature, eh?  ;)

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 12:35:48 PM »
It's one of those things that when it comes in handy, there's nothing else that will do. What, do you have old mercury vacuum pumps or something?  Or you building thyratrons? Barometers? Or flourescent lamps?

Is the high price due to the Compact Flourescent Lamp craze?

I guess all you have to do if you want some is canvass all the HVAC and plumbing and heating shops for old thermostats.  

I remember an old Tung-Sol battery charger I had which had a mercury rectifier in it.  When it was cool, you could see the droplets sticking to the glass.

One experiment I remember from high school was the teach had a long flexible coil of iron wire hung from a ringstand which dipped into a mercury pool.  When voltage was applied, the coil's own magnetic field would cause it to pull itself together, thereby pulling the end out of the pool and breaking the circuit.  With no current, the coil would expand again, dipping into the pool, and the next cycle would occur, so the coil would bounce up and down into the pool.  

Teach called it the "electrical muscle."  And of course, there was a healthy spark every time the coil broke contact with the mercury.  Gawd only knows how much Hg vapor the spark generated for this little high schooler to breathe.

But all that mercury vapor didn't affect me at all, even after all these yea
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 12:54:06 PM by 230RN »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 12:54:44 PM »
My friend is a H.S. Biology teacher.  He told me a story that a student stole an old vial of mercury from the chemistry lab, and when it was discovered missing, he was surprised as to how intense the investigation as to it's whereabouts would be.

He tried to dispose of the evidence down the family bathroom sink.

Of course, it all sat in the P-trap.  :lol:

They had over $40,000 in plumbing replacement, municipal fees to have their sewer line dug up and replaced, and environmental testing.

A co-worker of mine was invited to pick through an elderly neighbor's home for tools and "guy stuff" before he went to a retirement/nursing home. One of the things he took was a 10lb crockery jug, with a cork, of mercury that dated back to the late 1800's early 1900's. He new it was dangerous, only handled it with gloves etc.

He eventually decided he'd just turn it in at a local Fire Dept. who collected hazmat, paint cans etc. When they found it was mercury, they flipped out, called the actual hazmat team, the health department and the police.

The health department wanted to take him for a blood test, and when he made noises about politely declining, the police moved in with cuffs, and noises about getting a warrant to inspect his home were made too. He did some fast talking, agreed to come in for a blood test at a later date after they had all his info and thankfully made all the fuss go away.

IMO, if places did pay spot/market prices for Hg, it would do a lot to get it out of circulation the environment IMO. OTOH, there might be more danger from people scrounging for it, then having a spill etc. but I think in the long run it would get more out of the environment than spread it around.

I can't remember where it was, but one person had a tale that his father worked at a gold mine, and one of the activities they let you do was put on waders and step in/on the mercury tank used to amalgamate the gold out of the ore.  :O
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2010, 01:04:13 PM »
Imagine if you slipped and fell. Hmmm, wonder what would happen. Think you'd break the surface tension?

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2010, 01:10:23 PM »
Imagine if you slipped and fell. Hmmm, wonder what would happen. Think you'd break the surface tension?

Kind of academic. Mercury does not like to "wet" much of anything, other than metals to which it has an affinity. You'd probably penetrate the surface, but might have a surface tension bubble around your leg or whatnot, and your buoyancy is tremendous of course.
I promise not to duck.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2010, 01:12:41 PM »
Gawd only knows how much Hg vapor the spark generated for this little high schooler to breathe.

That explains so much.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Was that in Breckinridge CO?  THere are still piles of gravel up there which have gone through the mercury-leaching process for gold.

Could not have been very deep in that mercury tank.  With that density (13.5-ish, IIRC), it would be like walking on ten feet of sponge rubber as your feet tended to float.  Even lead (Pb, density  11.35) floats on mercury (before it dissolves.)

By the way, if you do have a little Hg spill ( e.g., like a thermometer, not a major one) which gets into the carpet or the cracks between floorboards, etc, hie yourself off to the drugstore and get some "Flowers of Sulfur," which is essentially powdered pure sulfur.   Sprinkle it liberally around the spill area and rub it in a little.  This forms mercury sulfide, which is a solid with a low vapor pressure, and after a while it becomes vacuum-up-able.  Repeat.  They used to make a commercial mercury-"eliminating" substance for use in laboratories, but I forgot what it was named.  It was largely sulfur powder.

Trouble is, the sulfur smells a little like sulfur (!) so keep the room well-ventilated, lest ye be accused of passing wind.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 01:32:40 PM by 230RN »

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2010, 01:30:49 PM »
I had a bunch of mercury switches I'd cut open as a kid, and was keeping the resultant large blob of mercury in a film canister. An aluminum one.

I knew nothing about how Hg liked to amalgamate with metals, or it's particularly unique affects on Al, but I noticed the can got "squishy" and that something was wrong, and transferred it away.

IIRC, mercury paste was used as a sabotage weapon in WWII, the wings would just fall off aircraft if it was applied and not discovered in time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7Ilxsu-JlY
I promise not to duck.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
and now we know where Gremlins come from [popcorn] sorry but i'm crazed from pain tonight, i'll stop now. :facepalm: