Author Topic: Cap and Tax is back  (Read 6263 times)

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Cap and Tax is back
« on: April 16, 2010, 02:15:45 AM »
I suspect they were emboldened by the passage of ObamaCare, and figure they can ram this one through, too.  The Senate version of the Cap and Tax Trade bill is back.  It is to be unveiled in the Senate on April 26.  The Senators behind this rewritten version of the bill hope to gather enough support to pass it in June or July.  Of course, Lindsey Graham (R) Rinoland is in the middle of this, as is Joe Lieberman and John Kerry.
The only real saving grace is that the bill is supposedly significantly different than the already passed House version.  But did not stop ObamaCare.

The story is here.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

HankB

• friend
Re: Cap and Tax is back
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 08:22:21 AM »
There is NO DOUBT in my mind that the main players are a bunch of crooks who have positioned themselves to benefit financially by passing this legislation, either through becoming stockholders in "green" energy concerns, or at the behest of campaign contributors / extended family members who have done so.  <expletive> <expletive> <string of expletives>
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 12:39:09 PM by HankB »
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 08:32:33 AM »
Are these people TRYING to instigate violence domestically? I can't find many people at all who think this is an even half decent idea.  =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 11:50:48 AM »
Are these people TRYING to instigate violence domestically? I can't find many people at all who think this is an even half decent idea.  =|

How else are you going to cancel elections?
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2010, 01:24:46 PM »
How else are you going to cancel elections?

Maybe they'll just get Bush to use his weather machine to cause hurricanes again. Or fake up another terrorist attack like they did w/ 9/11.  ;/  [tinfoil] You give these 'tards too much credit. Hanlon's razor my friend.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2010, 01:49:47 PM »
I suspect they were emboldened by the passage of ObamaCare, and figure they can ram this one through, too.  

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:29 PM »
They understand the free ride ends when the new congress gavels open.  Get while the gettin' is good.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2010, 09:19:39 PM »
ObamaCare and Cap and Tax-- The Intolerable Acts of our century.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2010, 09:19:05 AM »
Yay, Weimerica!

Seriously, if this passes, our economy will collapse. Period. Full stop.

Why don't they just go ahead and raise tariffs and institute price controls? That way we can have a perfect re-enactment of the Great Depression.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

PTK

• friends
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2010, 09:23:40 AM »
Yay, Weimerica!

Seriously, if this passes, our economy will collapse. Period. Full stop.

Why don't they just go ahead and raise tariffs and institute price controls? That way we can have a perfect re-enactment of the Great Depression.

Why not indeed....  =|
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 03:06:03 PM »
I'm not sure the economy will collapse, but unemployment and plenty of other stuff will be worse.  I'm in the chemical industry and I can only assume even more of that will move overseas and more plants will shut down in the US.

It was my understanding that Cap and Trade had even less support among Democrats than Obamacare did.  I wonder if that has changed.

The stimulus bill was 1000 pages I believe.  Obamacare was 2000 pages.  Will this was be 3000? 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 03:10:14 PM »
I'm not sure the economy will collapse, but unemployment and plenty of other stuff will be worse.  I'm in the chemical industry and I can only assume even more of that will move overseas and more plants will shut down in the US.

It was my understanding that Cap and Trade had even less support among Democrats than Obamacare did.  I wonder if that has changed.

The stimulus bill was 1000 pages I believe.  Obamacare was 2000 pages.  Will this was be 3000? 

Do you recall what precipitated the current malaise?

Think back to ~2007 and 2008.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 05:21:12 PM »
Well, whatever happens, it won't be good. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 06:12:50 PM »
Do you recall what precipitated the current malaise?

Think back to ~2007 and 2008.

I could just as easily point to El Tejon's lawn-couch kill ratios by month and suggest he caused the recession.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 10:48:36 PM »
I could just as easily point to El Tejon's lawn-couch kill ratios by month and suggest he caused the recession.

http://www.venganza.org/images/PiratesVsTemp.png

Precipitated =/= caused

alex_trebek

• friend
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2010, 11:04:18 PM »
You guys can make fun of the church of the flying spaghetti monster all you want. Global warming stopped when Somali pirates increased their activities.

Just sayin....

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2010, 11:13:08 PM »
Precipitated =/= caused
Gas prices neither precipitated nor caused the financial problems.  They were an early indicator of the underlying situation.

That's not to say that cap and trade won't kill the economy.