Author Topic: How do you dig through clay?  (Read 29808 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: How do you dig through clay?
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 07:55:11 PM »
i've been the something too on a metal roof  thankfully the pile of manure i landed in was nice and soft. sadly it was summer and very ripe
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Triphammer

• friend
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »
Hydro-pic &/or electric jackhammer with a spade bit.
 A hrydor-pic is just a piece of 3/8 or 1/2 inch about 4 feet long. put a cap on one end & drill an 1/8" hole in it. You can smash the end down so there's just a little hole in the end. set up the other end so you can hook it up to a garden hose. Spray/ drill & work the clay loose. Works great for pre drilling holes for T-posts for fence. You'll need to be within hose distance to a household pressure water supply. That limits things, sometimes.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 08:17:41 PM »
It was so much easier when you could go down to the hardware store and walk out with a case or two of dynamite. =D

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 09:37:54 PM »
Mattocks are for digging; shovels are just for scooping the dirt out after you dig.

This.

Plus diging a "pilot hole" and letting the hose soak the ground fofr 10 minutes helps when it is dry.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Battle Monkey of Zardoz

• friends
  • A more Elegant Monkey for a more civilized Forum.
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 09:48:39 PM »
Pickaxe, shovel and/or posthole diggers. And lots of patience.
“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.”

Abraham Lincoln

With the first link the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably.

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2010, 10:52:51 PM »
Uh... Where do you live?
Out in a rural area of West Michigan.  Township consists of 2600ish people.

And I'm guessing that the corn field wasn't processed and scraped and graded for a subdivision.
True, but neither was my house.  I live in El Tejon's personal Hell where my neighbors are not only free to, but actually do, have goats and chickens running around in their yard.  Dogs barking at all hours in the distance, wood burning boilers billowing smoke, and a very active gun range just down the road.  OK, he might like the gun range. :)

Basically I'm right next to a creek and I figure a good amount of fill had to be brought in to make the house work.  I'd be happy to PM you the address if you want to look it up on Bing Maps or something. It's a fun spot to live in.  Last time I checked Bing out there was an aerial shot of my neighbor burning leaves on my property. I pretty much just treat the 20 yards between our lawns as a DMZ.  I own it but he can do whatever he wants there unless it actually impacts my life.
[/quote]

I like the suggestions of drilling down and using water to soften the clay.  Tried that once when digging a 3' wide hole with my brothers and it seemed to work, but I thought maybe we were complicating the matter.

Now, I might be planting a number of evergreens in the front yard soon that will require a 3' wide hole for each one.  I'll probably call up the local excavator if that happens and just pay the guy $200 to dig the holes for me.

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2010, 05:41:28 AM »
Homeless Depot, buy shovel, hire "Day Laborer" standing by the contractor area  >:D
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2010, 11:14:32 AM »
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

shellyd

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2017, 03:31:35 AM »
Rent a backhoe and have good dirt delivered.

TC

Yes, it is better to rent.
Backhoe rentals

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2017, 06:33:04 AM »
Methinks Giga got all of the answers he needed almost 7 years ago.

Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2017, 10:56:29 AM »
How about a Claymore?

Or less.

I'm not signing this one so nobody will know who posted it.
Will a claymore actually make a hole or just embed ball bearings in the clay and make it worse?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2017, 09:44:17 PM »
Will a claymore actually make a hole or just embed ball bearings in the clay and make it worse?

M18A1 won't make a very big hole.  A Cratering Charge (basically a shaped charged pointed down) does a pretty good job.

Looks like they moved a lot of clay in this picture...

Caption:
Engineer Officer Basic students examine an approximately 30-by-20-foot deep crater that was created as part of their first demolition project. A 15-pound shape charge bore a hole into the ground, and a cratering charge was lowered into that hole and detonated. (Photo Credit: Mrs. Melissa Buckley (Leonard Wood))
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Cliffh

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2017, 10:01:28 PM »
And then they were told to put the dirt back in the hole......

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2017, 02:09:31 AM »

Oh, I was just throwing out 'splodey military things when I mentioned Claymores.  I think I had in the back of my mind (six years ago) that the projectiles would break up hard clay.  Lotsa little shock waves, I guess I was thinking.  

Don't hold me accountable for something I said six or seven years ago. :old:

Or yesterday. =D

It was so much easier when you could go down to the hardware store and walk out with a case or two of dynamite. =D

jim

And the only question was "Do you want 'lectric or fused caps with that?"

I don't know that much about explosives, but I knew a guy up in Boulder, Colorado who had a blasting license and we chatted a bit about that.  He did a lot of work up in the Pinebrook Hills Subdivision, up in the foothillls, where homeowners wanted boulders broken up and tree stumps removed.  He said that a certain hardware store would sell two or three sticks of low-percentage dynamite and fuses sub rosa to individuals who had the balls to DIY it.  Except he didn't use the term sub rosa.

He said that was a hangover from the days when lots of mining went on up there in the hills and the claimholders would come in and buy the stuff and it was no big deal back in the day.  That hardware store moved out east of town, perhaps just out of the city limits.

I found it amusing that the old retail space of that hardware store was replaced by some kind of pastry-and-coffee shop.  Not unlike today's Starbucks.  If they had only known that dynamite was stored in their basement at one time, heh.  

But that was all long before Boulder turned all snowflakey and hand-wringey and scared of anything that happened with suddenness, whereupon young ladies and effete men are expected to retire toward the fainting couch. :D

He mentioned that there was also a store in Nederland CO which did about the same thing.

Terry, Master Rambler, Living Historian, 230RN
« Last Edit: March 01, 2017, 03:11:53 AM by 230RN »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2017, 09:38:03 AM »
It's funny, because at the time, this thread would not interest me in the least as we were living in a third floor condo.

Now, having a massive yard that is mostly clay, let me say: Pickaxe. Definitely use a pickaxe. (I've planted four fruit trees and hopefully two more this year. Pickaxe every time.)
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2017, 10:32:46 AM »
And then they were told to put the dirt back in the hole......

D9's and Grizzly's.... ;)
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2017, 12:48:53 PM »
Now, having a massive yard that is mostly clay, let me say: Pickaxe. Definitely use a pickaxe. (I've planted four fruit trees and hopefully two more this year. Pickaxe every time.)

You know, renting a skid steer and a large auger might not be as expensive as you think.  If you've got some redneck nearby that already owns that combo, you can probably get single holes done for pizza and beer.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »

Now, I might be planting a number of evergreens in the front yard soon that will require a 3' wide hole for each one.  I'll probably call up the local excavator if that happens and just pay the guy $200 to dig the holes for me.

Any big equipment rental places in your area? A motorized tool carrier with a large auger attachment sounds like what you need.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods