Author Topic: WSJ article on open carry  (Read 3287 times)

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
WSJ article on open carry
« on: April 30, 2010, 10:11:11 AM »
This article on open carry was published in today's (4/30/10) WSJ:

Have Gun, Must Flaunt It?
By NANCY DEWOLF SMITH

Like a fly on a birthday cake, the subject of open carry—legally wearing a gun in public—keeps landing in the news and nobody can swat it down. Those who would like to be rid of it range from some of the most ardent gun-controllers to some of the fiercest believers in the Second Amendment right to bear arms. Many of the latter live in the 43 states where it already is legal to openly wear a handgun (although rules vary about whether it can be loaded, etc.). That the majority of people who could walk around outfitted for the OK Corral choose not to do so ought to be a hint that the minority who are most eager to force open carry on the rest of us might belong in a special category of bozos.

Consider the case of James Goldberg, who walked up to the counter of a Glastonbury, Conn. Chili's restaurant in 2007 costumed in camouflage and wearing a pistol. Police were called and Mr. Goldberg was arrested, only to be cleared after it was determined that since he had a permit for the weapon he was not breaking a law.

While news reports in 2007 described Mr. Goldberg as the night manager at a liquor store, he told the Hartford Courant this month that he is a "trained firearms instructor, sells guns at a Newington gun retailer and runs a business that provides security for business executives and entertainment industry celebrities." Whatever else Mr. Goldberg is, he's a thoroughly modern Millie. Back in the day, authentic cowboys didn't sue when the going got tough, especially not for "emotional distress."

Equally unimpressive were the armed types who gathered in a Virginia Park this month to demonstrate support for open carry and their opposition to government in general and the Obama administration in particular. Like the characters who now make a practice of wearing handguns into Starbucks and other places of business, such demonstrators may yet turn out to be a godsend for the antigun crowd.

The latter can be so annoying that at some demented level it is possible to imagine the appeal of strolling the aisles at, say, a Whole Foods store, squeezing free-range chicken and bagging edamame with a Hammerli 208S target pistol on display. Yet a firearms dealer suggested to me this week that if open carrying were to become more common, even those of us who are uneasy now in the presence of public firearms would get used to seeing them around. After all, he said, a man "in the 1870s who left Philadelphia and went to Wyoming . . . was probably nervous as hell because everyone was toting a six-gun."

Which is why they called it the Wild West and we are lucky not to have been born then. Knowing Americans, however, if the open carry fad gathers steam in this century, at some point the urge to trump the Joneses might well extend to guns. They could even become fashion must-haves. A recent article in Women & Guns magazine noted that a number of firearms and shooting accessories now come in colors meant to appeal to female tastes. As the article's headline asked, "Is Pink the New Black?"

Surveys suggest that serious shooters are not particularly drawn to girlie colors. But what about the rest of the female population? The same forces that compel women to change pocketbooks and fingernail colors may add a vexing new list of daily dressing decisions, like "What color pistol grip goes with this outfit?" Next thing you know, women could be trading tips on the Web about the best way to attract men in a world where every girl can have a gun. Should she try to stand out from the crowd with a piece of rustic exotica that reminds him of the safari dolls in 1953's "Mogambo," like a .416 Rigby? Or go with something more crudely flashy, like one of the pretend AK-47s?

Speaking of serious shooters, I don't know a soul among gun owners who is itching to prance around showing everybody what is in their holster. Most of the time, citizens who carry weapons in public places are doing it for protection, and that means concealment. They don't want their handgun easily grabbed by some idiot in a checkout line, and they don't want a potential aggressor to know what they have on them or where it is. If flashing an armory were anything but a stunt, our air marshals would be strapped like Pancho Villa.

Ms. Smith is a member of the Journal's editorial board and a TV critic.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: WSJ article on open carry
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2010, 10:57:55 AM »
Wow, I couldn't even make it through that crap-fest. People who open carry are bozos, and ardent 2nd Amendment defenders want to stop that? Idiot.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2010, 11:00:59 AM »
I stopped reading when I saw "force open carry on the rest of us." 
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2010, 11:09:43 AM »
I stopped reading when I saw "force open carry on the rest of us." 
this is half true, if everyone else is open carrying, the criminals will of coarse start targeting those that seem defenseless. [popcorn]

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 11:30:49 AM »
He also calls open carry a "fad". 

Is there a link to this or is it a pay/registration site?
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 11:36:27 AM »
It is just in wsj editorial section (it isn't a 'real' article).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704471204575210742190085972.html

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2010, 12:10:47 PM »
Ms. Smith is a member of the Journal's editorial board and a TV critic.

But there are a lot of people in this world that think editorial pieces are news the same as everything on the internet and tv are real.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2010, 12:18:10 PM »
But there are a lot of people in this world that think editorial pieces are news the same as everything on the internet and tv are real.

jim

I agree, I was just pointing that out.  The author clearly isn't presenting a nuanced and educated approach to the topic, this is just a rant.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2010, 12:26:35 PM »
If flashing an armory were anything but a stunt, our air marshals would be strapped like Pancho Villa.
:lol:
They don't carry guns openly because they want to disguise their numbers, since there are precious few flights with an AM on board.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2010, 12:43:54 PM »
Ms. Smith should stick with her regular job at the WSJ, which is TV and Media Critic

http://www.opinionjournal.com/bios/bio_smith.html
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2010, 12:49:41 PM »
This article on open carry was published in today's (4/30/10) WSJ:

Did the WSJ put this with news, or with opinion?  ne' mind, saw it.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 03:48:16 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
Working with Monkeyleg and the WCCA here in WI, I used to think Open Carry was about attention and "showing off". A core group of people who wanted to puff up their chests and make a display of bravado by out-doing each other over who's the most loyal 2nd Amendment supporter.

However, what they're doing is working. Over the past two years, I've come around.

Are they "converting" anyone? I have no idea. However I think the OC movement has some incredibly strong things going for it:

1. It gets press attention.
2. It lets all gun-owners know, "you're not alone".
3. It pushes the envelope on all gun issues, making the rest of our sacred cows safer.
4. It's forcing local government to REALLY confront firearms issues. No more "out of sight, out of mind".
5. It makes anti's feel irritated, and frustrated, and angry.

All of these are good things.
I promise not to duck.

mellestad

• friend
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2010, 12:58:40 PM »
Working with Monkeyleg and the WCCA here in WI, I used to think Open Carry was about attention and "showing off". A core group of people who wanted to puff up their chests and make a display of bravado by out-doing each other over who's the most loyal 2nd Amendment supporter.

However, what they're doing is working. Over the past two years, I've come around.

Are they "converting" anyone? I have no idea. However I think the OC movement has some incredibly strong things going for it:

1. It gets press attention.
2. It lets all gun-owners know, "you're not alone".
3. It pushes the envelope on all gun issues, making the rest of our sacred cows safer.
4. It's forcing local government to REALLY confront firearms issues. No more "out of sight, out of mind".
5. It makes anti's feel irritated, and frustrated, and angry.

All of these are good things.

Those are good points AJ.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »
Yes, very good points.  Those are some of the main reasons I have no problem with it. 

In addition, if I happen to need to carry a gun somewhere, I really don't like the idea of having to memorize some complicated procedure or set of rules for transporting that firearm.  It should just be legal.  Texas used to have some pretty nutty traveling rules for carrying guns.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
Next thing you know, women could be trading tips on the Web about the best way to attract men in a world where every girl can have a gun.

One guy can only hope. :sigh:

And what does Ms. Smith mean in a world where every girl can have a gun.Every girl Everyone can have a gun in this country that's why it's awesome! (Unless your a felon) Does she have something against armed females? Those are the most attractive kind!

Bogie

• friend
  • Hunkered in South St. Louis, right by Route 66
    • Third Rate Pundit
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2010, 05:11:59 PM »
Problem is that whackjobs make the news. They might be benign whackjobs, but they're still whackjobs.

Blog under construction

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »
She's not very good on history. In the days of the "old west," honest men wore their sidearms openly, and the people who carried concealed were generally the sneaks, crooks, and card sharps. That attitude prevailed well into the 20th century, and explains why a large number of states allowed open carry but either prohibited concealed carry or made it subject to permit.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 07:45:00 PM »
She forgot to mention the "bozo" open carrying an antique hogleg six shooter who stopped an armed robbery and saved the life of a convenience store clerk  ;/

Anyway, bozos like her just make me want to OC more  :P

Keep doing it until they allow CCW without a permit in all fifty states ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin