Author Topic: Rush Limbaugh's wedding  (Read 15846 times)

White Horseradish

• friend
Re: Rush Limbaugh's wedding
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2010, 10:47:56 PM »
impressive record of service to his country
Being a successful entertainer is serving the country?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

taurusowner

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 12:01:13 AM »

It can be.  The value of service is in the eye of the beholder.  Turning the monopoly of the liberal media and creating a true alternative to their slanted bias could indeed be seen as a service.  Playing the role of a foil to liberal politicians and giving millions of Americans a chance to see things in a different light could also be seen as a service.  One has to only listen to the callers on his show to see that the information he puts out, entertaining as it is, has indeed been a positive influence on the lives of many.  I would call that a service.

You don't have to agree with what he says about everything.  But before Rush, there was really no one out there at all who had the ability and reach to show as many people as him a totally different side of politics.  Before Rush talk radio was essentially nothing.  You had the big newspapers and their slant, the nightly news shows and their slant, and that's about it.  Rush opened up politics to millions who until then has basically the New York Times as their source for any political information.  Rush started the "Alternative Media".  And as one who has become interested in politics soley because of my exposure to the Alternative Media, I do indeed say Rush has done a great service.  I don't doubt I would be another apathetic college kid with an Obama sticker on my car if not for hearing Rush when I was a young teen.

Take it a step further and ask yourself why Freedom of the Press is such an important Right.  Could it be because those who provide crucial information to the masses are very valuable to freedom and an open political process?  Some people (used to) view journalism as a service to the country.  True journalists who sought to expose government, to antagonize government, to question anything that came out of the mouth of a government functionary.  Shedding a light on  the inner workings of a bureaucracy was a high calling for a journalist.  Why should calling that service be restricted to Walter Cronkite or the journalists of half a century ago?  Entertaining or not, Rush exposes things that would not otherwise be exposed.  He tells truths that would otherwise be kept dark.  One simply needs to see how much he is attacked and ridiculed by the Left to know that he is striking them in their heart.  The best cure for a lie is the truth. 

Rush makes a lot of money by running his mouth on  the radio and selling advertising space. Ok.  So what?  Does that automatically disqualify the fact that what he says is valuable to a lot of people.  Does making money and telling a few jokes mean what you're doing can't be a service?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:08:08 AM by Ragnar Danneskjold »

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 12:26:30 AM »

It was after listening to him I started getting more involved in the political process and started taking my responsibilities more seriously.

I take a different view on that.

I don't think having shortcomings on your own removes your ability to say something is wrong.  Ex:  Do I think that young women and teens are overly sexualized and that it has a negative effect on the social fabric of the nation? Yes.  When I see an attractive college girl at school who is wearing something that could be considered slutty, do I feel outraged?  Nope.  I think it's awesome.

Or my own situation.  Do I think it's a good idea for people to get drunk all the time?  No.  But that didn't stop me from doing it.

I just don't think one has to be perfect before saying other things are wrong.  And I don't recall Rush ever saying his actions were right.  One does not have to be right to say someone else is wrong.  It's ok IMO to say "we're both wrong".  Let's face it.  We've all done wrong things before.  We've all broken the law in some way before.  That doesn't mean we can't say that those actions, actions we may have even committed ourselves, are good and right.  Having flaws doesn't mean you can't see and state that other people also have flaws. 

Whether you agree with drug laws or not isn't the issue.  You can disagree with Rush all you want.  That's ok.  But to say "I don't like him because he said something was wrong that he did himself" is a pretty strange attitude to have considering that every one of us has done something we have said is wrong, and will no doubt do so again many times.  Perfection is not a prerequisite for having a moral opinion.

Can't disagree with that much at all.
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 12:28:42 AM »

Everyone knows he's much more than that.  If you want proof, just listen to the leftists trying desperately to make Limbaugh go away by repeating the phrase "he's just an entertainer."  Or listen to the other response; "He's hateful/a bigot/divisive." 

I think one example of Limbaugh's achievements should be enough.  On a forum where everyone loves to bash the "lamestream media," it should be sufficient to point out that Limbaugh has done more than anyone else to expose the establishment press. Even the left (were they actually interested in free thought), would have to admire Rush for making skepticism cool.

Is he right about everything?  No.  But having served my country in uniform for a few years, I can state authoritatively that Rush has done far more for the country than some of us veterans have.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 05:54:57 AM »

For people like Ronald Reagan (who was medically unfit for miltary service in WWII), it was....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2010, 09:46:01 AM »
Who coined the phrase "mainstream media"?  Rush is the first major guy I remember saying it, but I'm sure it is older than that.

I just remember first listening to him when I was in college in the early 90's and all the ozone layer hysteria was going on.  He just made a lot of sense. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2010, 10:57:36 AM »
RUSH IS RIGHT!!!! :cool:
Personally, I do not understand how a bunch of people demanding a bigger govt can call themselves anarchist.
I meet lots of folks like this, claim to be anarchist but really they're just liberals with pierced genitals. - gunsmith

I already have canned butter, buying more. Canned blueberries, some pancake making dry goods and the end of the world is gonna be delicious.  -French G

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2010, 03:51:43 PM »
So, using your (according to fisty) considerable influence to try to destroy the lives of people who are doing the same thing you are is not an example of hypocrisy now? Interesting...

I'm not downplaying his accomplishments, I just see no reason to pretend the man is some sort of saint because I happen to agree with him about a lot of things.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2010, 05:38:04 PM »
Whose lives did he try to destroy?  Are you trying to say that commentary on his show equates to trying to use his influence to destroy the lives of certain people?  That is stretching it so far it is ridiculous.  

Also, I don't see the man as a saint or anything.  He is just a fairly conservative guy who makes pretty good sense and has remained remarkably consistent over the years.  Whether you like him or not, he has had a huge influence on politics in the media over the years. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 05:47:36 PM by MechAg94 »
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2010, 05:55:51 PM »
His accomplishments are remarkable, which is enough for me to admire the man. Before him talk radio was nothing.

It's easy to take his and other hosts' skills for granted until you hear an average host.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2010, 06:58:45 PM »
If you don't see the hypocrisy in a drug addict trying to use his influence to get far harsher sentences for other drug addicts, well.... I'm not sure what I can do to convince you. I notice that when a liberal calls for more gun control then carries a gun themselves we have no problem calling them on that hypocrisy...
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

taurusowner

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »
Bad analogy.  Carrying a gun isn't inherently bad for you or wrong, and it's not something people struggle to get over.  There are no "recovering gun owners".

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2010, 07:30:56 PM »
There's plenty of people who use recreational drugs who maintain careers/jobs/etc, or who could have done so if they weren't arrested. Not every drug user is an addict, and not every addict is a junky.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2010, 07:56:06 PM »
Bad analogy.  Carrying a gun isn't inherently bad for you or wrong, and it's not something people struggle to get over.  There are no "recovering gun owners".

1) There are many that would argue that carrying a gun is bad for you and wrong.
2) It is not government's place to tell you what is bad for you.  

I would argue that Rush's hypocrisy isn't in his being an addict, but being someone who accuses leftists of being statists, while he himself pushes the war on drugs and the continued occupation of nations that are no longer a military threat to us.

Also, Rush has been very critical of Homosexuals, yet hires a very open homosexual to entertain at his wedding?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:59:24 PM by JamisJockey »
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Sergeant Bob

• friend
« Reply #39 on: June 14, 2010, 08:31:53 PM »
Also, Rush has been very critical of Homosexuals, yet hires a very open homosexual to entertain at his wedding?

I've listened to Rush for a lot of years (almost every day when I was driving truck) and I don't recall him ever being "very critical of Homosexuals". It sounds like something the heard is always saying. =|

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35:57 PM »
1) There are many that would argue that carrying a gun is bad for you and wrong.
2) It is not government's place to tell you what is bad for you.  

I would argue that Rush's hypocrisy isn't in his being an addict, but being someone who accuses leftists of being statists, while he himself pushes the war on drugs and the continued occupation of nations that are no longer a military threat to us.

Granted, I don't listen to him much these days, but I haven't heard Rush go on about the drug war in years.  Anyone have a pointer to a program of him doing so?

The homosexual he hired (Elton John) has the exact same position on gay marriage that Rush does. 

Rush's position on troops in Germany, the UK, Italy, Japan,and S Korea are not particularly controversial.  ;)
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2010, 08:36:57 PM »
Both Elton John and Rush Limbaugh agree on the issue of gay marriage, FWIW.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 09:04:26 PM »
If you don't see the hypocrisy in a drug addict trying to use his influence to get far harsher sentences for other drug addicts, well.... I'm not sure what I can do to convince you. I notice that when a liberal calls for more gun control then carries a gun themselves we have no problem calling them on that hypocrisy...

That's because you haven't shown any examples of Limbaugh calling for far harsher sentences for any drug addicts at all, much less for those who abuse pain pills.

That's because the current drug laws have almost nothing to do with Rush Limbaugh.  Limbaugh did not start the war on drugs, nor would it be any nearer to an end if he were still a Philadelphia disk jockey.

That's because Rush went through the legal process, and kicked the habit; rather than suddenly beginning a campaign to legalize prescription drugs, or protesting that what he had done was just fine.

I just see no reason to pretend the man is some sort of saint because I happen to agree with him about a lot of things.

How about the fact that he's done more for those things you agree with, than you or I ever have? 

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 09:13:22 PM by Fistful »

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 09:24:25 PM »

So, drugs, occupation and Elton John.  In reverse order:

Rush never said that homos shouldn't play the piano.  I don't quit listening to musicians, just because their personal lives or political views are a mess. Do you? 

Differing with your point of view about national security does not make a man a statist. 

As for drugs, ya know, I've pretty much come to agree with drug legalization point of view.  But it still doesn't make any sense to call a man a statist for not being a perfect libertarian.  At least not when he's done more to combat statism than any drug legalizer I know of.  

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 09:54:16 PM »
  At least not when he's done more to combat statism than any drug legalizer I know of.   

Milton Friedman.

taurusowner

« Reply #45 on: June 14, 2010, 09:55:55 PM »
Milton Friedman.

Ooooo, MB may have a point on that one.  But it doesn't discount the fact that Rush has still done more to combat statism than all of us in this thread combined.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #46 on: June 14, 2010, 09:57:23 PM »
Ooooo, MB may have a point on that one.  But it doesn't discount the fact that Rush has still done more to combat statism than all of us in this thread combined.

Which means what?

Practically any politician who's even remotely right-wing has done more to combat statism than me. This doesn't mean they're immune to criticism.

It's like saying I shouldn't call Avatar a bad movie because I can't direct a film myself.

taurusowner

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
I'm saying that for a guy who has done things right 95% of the time, sniping at him for the 5% he does wrong is petty and foolish.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #48 on: June 14, 2010, 10:34:09 PM »
As far as the drugs go, so what!!  Because some faceless bureaucrat and elected statist bluenoses decided they know what's best for us in the manner of how we take care of our medical or pain problems, Rush is some kind of vile creature?  My view it's none of the business of government when it comes to pain management.  The fact that Rush had to get creative in order to get what he needed, I say good on him.  The fact that he came to abuse them, well, there but for the grace of the Almighty go many of us.  None of us is immune to character flaw.

What he has done with talk radio along with the internet may be two of the main reasons we wind up staying a free society of free men and women.  If any of you are without blemish I'd probably call you out as adding to your blemish by your untruthfulness.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #49 on: June 14, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »
I'm saying that for a guy who has done things right 95% of the time, sniping at him for the 5% he does wrong is petty and foolish.
I believe it is 98.6%.   :lol: