Author Topic: How to permanently disable a car alarm?  (Read 51673 times)

zahc

• friend
How to permanently disable a car alarm?
« on: June 12, 2010, 12:37:06 PM »
I have a 2002 Buick Park Avenue and I hate car alarms with a burning passion a thousand suns. I want to permanently disable the car alarm so that it can never be triggered again, ever. Is there any way to do this? I'm having a hard time finding the "HOW TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE THE CAR ALARM" section in the user's manual.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: How to permanently disable a car alarm?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 01:13:59 PM »
Find the positive lead going to the black box and disconnect it?

taurusowner

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 01:17:08 PM »
Detcord.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »

What black box? Is there such a black box? If so, that would be great. All the horn, the lights, and the door switches, and even the keys seem to be all tied into the alarm, so I figured it wall all orchestrated in the Hal-like central brain of the car and maybe there is some kind of magical code to disable it with a diagnostic thing or something.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 01:59:18 PM »
Is it after market or part of the car?
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 02:33:06 PM »

Find the negative lead going to the battery and disconnect it.

Problem solved.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 03:31:47 PM »
Find the negative lead going to the battery and disconnect it.

Problem solved.

sell the car, take public transportation. =D
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

zahc

• friend
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 04:18:52 PM »
Sigh.

Maybe I will take the car to a place that installs aftermarket security systems and ask them how much they would charge me to break it. I assume that when they install an aftermarket alarm they have to disable or at least modify the original factory alarm.
--Tallpine

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 05:07:57 PM »
Kill it with fire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2010, 05:45:22 PM »
Isn't there some device that all the sensors report to, that then instructs the horn and lights to behave in a socially unacceptable manner?  Find that device.  Clip wires one by one to see if the horn and lights still function in their "normal" mode but not when you trip the sensors.

DO NOT clip the blue wire that is next to the red wire.  Or is it do not clip the red wire next to the blue wire?

Don't you have some car theives in the area you could consult?  Or a repo guy?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2010, 05:55:40 PM »
If you can't find the wire to the alarm, check the fuse box. A factory alarm would have a fuse in the box, and it should be labeled. If not, pull some fuses one at a time until you get one that disables the alarm. Check to see if the fuse controls anything else.

An aftermarket alarm would have a fuse somewhere in the engine bay.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
If you can't find the wire to the alarm, check the fuse box. A factory alarm would have a fuse in the box, and it should be labeled. If not, pull some fuses one at a time until you get one that disables the alarm. Check to see if the fuse controls anything else.

An aftermarket alarm would have a fuse somewhere in the engine bay.

+1 to that idea.  Also, if you sell the car later, fixing the alarm is much easier....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 06:39:21 PM »
I have a 2002 Buick Park Avenue and I hate car alarms with a burning passion a thousand suns. I want to permanently disable the car alarm so that it can never be triggered again, ever. Is there any way to do this? I'm having a hard time finding the "HOW TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE THE CAR ALARM" section in the user's manual.

Icepick.

Or, gotta say it:

Detcord.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2010, 07:33:55 PM »
If it's a factory alarm it should be fused seperately.  If it's aftermarket it can be removed.

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2010, 09:56:01 AM »
Disabling the alarm, as by pulling the fuze, might also disable the ignition.

(has anybody mentioned detcord yet?)
"It's good, though..."

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 05:05:19 PM »
The factory alarms I've experienced are wired pretty close to the chest. 
They operate from a central control circuit that disables things like fuel pumps, ignition leads, starters, etc.
Pulling an alarm fuse will generally disable the vehicle.

If the alarm system can be disabled, it will probably require a Rube Goldberg electronic work-around to keep the vehicle operational.

Of course, this is based on my limited experience, ymmv, and you may be able to find a "Park Ave Alarm Control Disabler Box" in your choice of designer colors for the low low low buy it now price of 49.99 on fleabay.

I'd start by signing up for a few Buick enthusiast websites and doing some heavy searching.

Good luck
7-11 was a part time job.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 03:42:08 AM »
If it's a factory alarm it should be fused seperately.

Not necessarily; my Blazer's is part of the power lock system.  There's no keyhole on the back, so if you disable the power locks, you can't ever open the tailgate again.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 07:21:23 AM »
if it's like a subaru, there are dip switches on the alarm box. they tell the box whether or not you have paid for the alarm function. [popcorn] and if you want to have to hold the unlock button on the key fob to unlock all the doors, the horn to blow when you lock the doors, if you want the doors to lock when you take off, etc.

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 10:59:47 PM »
GM's alarm systems (since OBDII) are integrated in the BCM.

There is no known (as far as I know) way to bypass the alarm system.

There may be a way, but it would require extensive reworking of the BCM circuitry. The pass key sensor on the ignition switch (ie. 04 Malibu) can be bypassed with a 4.7k ohm resistor. Not quite sure on the ohm rating.  This will enable it to start and run but will not stop the content theft alarm from arming. These are separate systems within the BCM.

You can rig the door close circuit to never close on one door which will prevent the alarm from arming but then your delayed power shut down (if equipped) and you dome lamp would stay on all the time. Also the BCM would never go to sleep which in turn may cause the PCM to not sleep therefore running down the battery regardless of what you try short of removing the battery cable.

Just a thought;

Do you have a working keyless entry transmitter? aka key fob?

More thinking.

PM me the VIN and I can run a GMVIS  to find out if it was built with a factory alarm system.

We just never have much issues with the GM systems. If it's and add on system it can be removed. Seen lots of issues with aftermarket alarms going off at will.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2010, 11:28:39 PM »
We wouldn't have a problem, but that it keeps going off when we feel it shouldn't. It doesn't go off from thunderstorms or anything, but when we do something that it interprets as theft. Not sure if it's working as designed or not.

For one thing, I wanted to ditch my keyfob and just use my key. However, this will not work since unlocking the car with my key sets off the alarm, plus then I don't have my keyfob to turn it off, making me violently angry.

One time I stood talking to someone with the door open for a couple minutes. When I got in and started the car, the alarm went off, making me violently angry.

Another time, I went to get out of my car, then realized I'd forgot to put something in the glovebox, then while I was leaned over the door shut on me. When I opened the door to get out, the alarm went off, making me violently angry.

See a pattern?
--Tallpine

Brad Johnson

• friend
  • Witty, charming, handsome, and completely insane.
« Reply #20 on: June 14, 2010, 11:31:52 PM »
See a pattern?

Everything makes you violently angry?

Brad
It's all about the pancakes, people.
"And he thought cops wouldn't chase... a STOLEN DONUT TRUCK???? That would be like Willie Nelson ignoring a pickup full of weed."
-HankB

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #21 on: June 14, 2010, 11:32:31 PM »
See a pattern?

Yes. The car is behaving rationally. You're not. ;)

p12

• friend
  • I SEE NOISES!!
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »
We wouldn't have a problem, but that it keeps going off when we feel it shouldn't. It doesn't go off from thunderstorms or anything, but when we do something that it interprets as theft. Not sure if it's working as designed or not.

For one thing, I wanted to ditch my keyfob and just use my key. However, this will not work since unlocking the car with my key sets off the alarm, plus then I don't have my keyfob to turn it off, making me violently angry.

One time I stood talking to someone with the door open for a couple minutes. When I got in and started the car, the alarm went off, making me violently angry.

Another time, I went to get out of my car, then realized I'd forgot to put something in the glovebox, then while I was leaned over the door shut on me. When I opened the door to get out, the alarm went off, making me violently angry.

See a pattern?

That sounds like an afermarket alarm issue.

Does it have an extra horn (siren type) or does it honk the factory horn?

zahc

• friend
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 11:52:17 PM »
It honks the factor horn.
--Tallpine

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2010, 12:09:52 AM »
It honks the factor horn.

And you say it's a 2002?  Well, there's yer problem right there!  It's pre-Obamamotors... it's a honky car.   >:D

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.