Armed Polite Society
January 19, 2017, 05:42:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bury My Heart at Kent State - Tales from the Apocalypse  (Read 109699 times)
gunnkid
friends

« Reply #450 on: April 01, 2015, 05:33:17 AM »

Pretty enjoyable stories! If I could add one critique, the good guys are lacking in some standard tactical gear. If you added some things like FLIR helmets and made sure to let readers know that your protagonists were using 9MMs,  it would make the stories much more plausible. Keep up the good work!
RevDisk
Administrator

« Reply #451 on: April 01, 2015, 02:04:03 PM »

Pretty enjoyable stories! If I could add one critique, the good guys are lacking in some standard tactical gear. If you added some things like FLIR helmets and made sure to let readers know that your protagonists were using 9MMs,  it would make the stories much more plausible. Keep up the good work!

Oddly enough, they will be using FLIR extensively.  But they and the protagonists will be using 9mm. And mostly AR15, M16's and M4's. Availability over technical superiority.

Well, ghetto IR. Think closer to a couple FLIR ONE or Seek cameras rigged together, outlining with regular cell phone camera ish video. I'm still looking for a plausible way of getting germanium or sapphire lens made in an apocalyptic setting, and not thinking of any. Might have to call birdman and see if he has any ideas, but I'm doubting it. Ghetto FLIR is coming along quite nicely. The high end FLIR is not every likely to drop to dirt cheap, for the same reason that high end optics are so expensive. Materials, precision and QC are sky high. Some aspects are coming down greatly in price to become relatively economical to the average person, but total package will never be "cheap". See DSLR cameras.

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.
birdman
friend

« Reply #452 on: July 28, 2015, 03:43:17 PM »

Oddly enough, they will be using FLIR extensively.  But they and the protagonists will be using 9mm. And mostly AR15, M16's and M4's. Availability over technical superiority.

Well, ghetto IR. Think closer to a couple FLIR ONE or Seek cameras rigged together, outlining with regular cell phone camera ish video. I'm still looking for a plausible way of getting germanium or sapphire lens made in an apocalyptic setting, and not thinking of any. Might have to call birdman and see if he has any ideas, but I'm doubting it. Ghetto FLIR is coming along quite nicely. The high end FLIR is not every likely to drop to dirt cheap, for the same reason that high end optics are so expensive. Materials, precision and QC are sky high. Some aspects are coming down greatly in price to become relatively economical to the average person, but total package will never be "cheap". See DSLR cameras.

Reflective optics + silicon windows (if you need a window) (since silicon wafers are ass-easy to get, hell, just use repurposed solar cells).  Done.  If you can polish glass, you can make a long-wave telescope (just use gold instead of silver or aluminum on mirror)
RocketMan
Mad Rocket Scientist
friend

Semper Fidelis

« Reply #453 on: July 29, 2015, 08:10:12 AM »

Reflective optics + silicon windows (if you need a window) (since silicon wafers are ass-easy to get, hell, just use repurposed solar cells).  Done.  If you can polish glass, you can make a long-wave telescope (just use gold instead of silver or aluminum on mirror)

What, you don't think you could whip up a GaAs foundry in the post Apocalypse?   Wink
(Actually, between the birdman and Rev, they might actually find a way to pull it off.)

“Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out.” - G.K. Chesterton

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed."  She may be right.

Some joker wrote on a bathroom wall, "Is there really intelligent life on Earth?"
Someone scribbled below in answer, "Yes, but I am going home next Tuesday."

"I'm sciencing as fast as I can!"

"Help, I've fallen and I can't find the beef!"
birdman
friend

« Reply #454 on: July 29, 2015, 04:18:47 PM »

What, you don't think you could whip up a GaAs foundry in the post Apocalypse?   Wink
(Actually, between the birdman and Rev, they might actually find a way to pull it off.)

We'd Start with silicon..or germanium.  The latter is easier, and since we'd be the only folks who can make chips...yeah...there would definitely be a few "it's good to be da king" moments Smiley
RevDisk
Administrator

« Reply #455 on: July 29, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »

What, you don't think you could whip up a GaAs foundry in the post Apocalypse?   Wink

Funny you should mention that...

We'd Start with silicon..or germanium.  The latter is easier, and since we'd be the only folks who can make chips...yeah...there would definitely be a few "it's good to be da king" moments Smiley

Er. Actually, in the plot, the facility's cover is Pennsylvania Alternative Energy (Post Apocalyptic Enterprises being the real name) that makes solar panels and other alternative energy junk. Which obviously gives a really good excuse to have silicon manufacturing stuff lying around.

To give away the plot. We discover space rock on collision path. Contractors are paid to make a coherent beam combining space fiber laser to vaporize spots on the space rock surface to provide delta V to make the space rock miss earth. Essentially, the laser I suspect you've worked on for you know who, but in space. NASA/Administration screws it up by attempting big kaboom for PR rather than couple hundred taps that are about as interesting as watching paint dry. So the earth is saved from ELE, just screwed in the process when a couple thousand large space rocks hit about everywhere.  

While simultaneously planning on throwing them under the bus, government is paying them to build barely underground bunkers ostensibly for some percentage of the population, but in reality primarily as their own hidey hole. Politicians are too thick to realize that defense contractors aren't stupid and the mil brass know enough to look the other way. So they have to be on the down low, or the administration will throws them to the wolves, likely to be literally ripped limb from limb if the media blames them as being evil profiteers that killed the world. So, they're trying to covertly build their own ark while hiding from both the general population as well as the government.

A solar panel place would be awfully handy starting ground for oh, chip manufacturing and ghetto FLIR units that you just described, if one was being sneaky. At least, for trying to hide large supply purchases of silicon and related material. And get tax credits for while doing so.

That's why it's admittedly taking so long, I want literally every scrap of science to be right and well planned out.  

Admit it, reading the above, you thought it'd be an eerily possible scenario.   grin

"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.
birdman
friend

« Reply #456 on: July 30, 2015, 12:15:04 PM »

I'm not a fiber laser guy...and coherent combining is -hard- especially at REALLY a high powers (since the number of lasers increases dramatically, as each fiber can't be that powerful)

Google "planar waveguide lasers"...that's the stuff...and they can each get big...really big, then you can combine a bunch.  All the good stuff of fibers, and a lot less bad.
Mannlicher
Grumpy Old Gator
friend

The Bonnie Blue

« Reply #457 on: August 15, 2015, 12:27:05 PM »

groan................... not Gunkid again.
jamisjockey
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
Administrator

Your mom sends me care packages

« Reply #458 on: August 16, 2015, 06:39:28 AM »

groan................... not Gunkid again.

Huh??

JD

"Why'd you open your bonghole, you smelly hippie? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey? You must have smoked some bad granola."
RocketMan
Mad Rocket Scientist
friend

Semper Fidelis

« Reply #459 on: August 16, 2015, 09:27:34 AM »

I think he saw the faux Gunnkid post at the top of the page.

“Don’t be so open-minded that your brains fall out.” - G.K. Chesterton

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed."  She may be right.

Some joker wrote on a bathroom wall, "Is there really intelligent life on Earth?"
Someone scribbled below in answer, "Yes, but I am going home next Tuesday."

"I'm sciencing as fast as I can!"

"Help, I've fallen and I can't find the beef!"
Fitz
Face-melter
friend

Floyd Rose is my homeboy

« Reply #460 on: August 24, 2015, 08:38:16 PM »

I'm just now reading this, and have been thoroughly entertained for hours.

I initially wanted to say "PUT ME IN THE BOOK AND HERES WHAT I WANT TO BE"

Not anymore. I definitely want to be in it. I have a preference for my XD45. Work in some of my geek if you will. Beyond that, I want to see what you come up with. Maybe the geek I was pre-event plays some role in my survival of the event. Advance knowledge due to gov contractor status? My standard preparation plan of "have ammo food, raid a pet store for antibiotics in the initial hours, then go off grid"

Jamis:

I loved it! hahaha. I can see working in HR :-D

If I have one request, it would be for me to execute an underling for some dire transgression. Call it a "guilty fantasy"

Fitz

---------------
I have reached a conclusion regarding every member of this forum.
I no longer respect any of you. I hope the following offends you as much as this thread has offended me:
You are all awful people. I mean this *expletive deleted*ing seriously.

-MicroBalrog
jamisjockey
Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
Administrator

Your mom sends me care packages

« Reply #461 on: August 25, 2015, 05:08:55 AM »

Pretty good Jamis.  However, two small quibbles.

1.  Having a Lt Baxley and a mission to Baxley, GA is one too many Baxley's.  Wink

2.  In the original Story Arc.  Scout26 is the head of HR, but I'm good with Fitz being one of my loyal operatives.  grin

I finally came back and fixed it. 
And yeah, Fitz makes a good senior underling for you  laugh

JD

"Why'd you open your bonghole, you smelly hippie? You'd sacrifice a beautiful woman to save a moderately attractive monkey? You must have smoked some bad granola."
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19]
  Print  

Jump to: