Author Topic: Penalty for out of season goose hunting + discharging a firearm in the city?  (Read 15357 times)

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Grr...

I was out working in the yard and I heard a flock of geese as they went right over my house too late to run for cover.  I took 2 goose crap hits..  one in the chest and one in my right cheek.

I.  Hate.  Geese.

I'm almost serious about the shooting part!  I'd use steel shot..  that would make it ok right?   >:D

Doggy Daddy

• Poobah
  • friend
  • From the saner side of Las Vegas
That's supposed to bring good luck, right?  You should be double lucky.  Surely you feel double lucky.

DD
Would you exchange
a walk-on part in a war
for a lead role in a cage?
-P.F.

Harold Tuttle

• Professor Chromedome
  • friend
non migratory "canadian" geese need to meet the coyote

They nest in the median strips of access ramps, every pond has a landmine field of poo, and they seem to enjoy staining vinyl siding.
They need a culling.
"The true mad scientist does not make public appearances! He does not wear the "Hello, my name is.." badge!
He strikes from below like a viper or on high like a penny dropped from the tallest building around!
He only has one purpose--Do bad things to good people! Mit science! What good is science if no one gets hurt?!"

HankB

• friend
Confucious say . . . nothing illegal unless you get caught.  >:D
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

P5 Guy

And you can eat the evidence.

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
Bird bombing is weird.   There's a kind of "air traffic corridor" between my apartment and a thick line of trees where flocks of them fly through and umpty-billion of them also have nests in those trees.

For some bird-brained reason every once in a while they'll choose a car in our parking lot to bomb.  Last year it was my next-door neighbor's car  --twice in three days.  He'd come out in the morning and his vehicle would look like someone took a couple of cans of white paint and splattered it on his car from all angles.  (And a few small cans of green and brown paint.)  He could hardly see through the windows.

Here's the layout/target area. Reconnaisance photo taken from my balcony... a bird's-eye view. That's my car --the last space in the parking lot.  The white stuff is snow, not bird doo.

This year they chose my car and about two months ago the same thing happened to my vehicle.  My turn to cuss 'n fuss, but I figured if they followed the pattern (it has happened before to other cars) they'd do it twice, and that would be that. 

Sure enough, two days later they carpet-bombed it again. But they were pretty accurate.  Hardly any of it was on the ground.... I'd say 90% of it was on my car.  Almost like they had little Norden Bombsights and crosshairs built into their little avian eyes and brains.  So as I was unlocking it, I hollered, "OK, you guys, you had your fun, now lay off, huh?"

Nothing for two weeks, then they chose somebody else's car.

True story.  No lie.  I do know flocks of little birds will "mob" a threatening bigger bird and force it to the ground, and then drop tons of crap on it until it can't fly any more from getting all wet and gooky... I've seen this on one of those nature shows by Richard Attenborough (sp?).

I mean, it was not like my car, or the other cars, were threatening or anything --they parked out there all the time.  Just one day they'll decide, "Hey, let's get that Audi."  and the next time around, one will suggest, "Hey, let's get that Chevy."

You can't tell me non-verbal species can't think and devise ways to have fun like that.  There was no other reason for it but to make mischief, like little kids.

They seem to skip a day.  Maybe to give you a chance to get your car washed.  Maybe just to "re-arm."

Terry, 230RN
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 12:54:59 PM by 230RN »

Bigjake

• friend

I've heard from coyote hunters that Geese just stand there if you whack them from 300 yards,  they don't connect the report with their buddy getting splattered..

Tuco

• Fastest non-sequitur in the West.
  • friends
  • If you miss you had better miss very well
They are migratory birds and the penalties regarding hunting them out of season are NWS territory.
Your state undoubtedly has rules regarding the methods for taking migratory waterfowl as well.

Having said that, they are a filthy critter with no manners.  I, for one, wish they'd never made their glorious comeback and Mallard, Black and Wood ducks were at a healthier level.
7-11 was a part time job.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
I've long advocated hooking up the homeless of Milwaukee with retired rental golf-clubs from the municipal park courses, and a $1.00-a beak bounty. And they get to keep the meat.

You'd kill two birds with one stone. Pun intended.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2010, 01:42:55 PM by AJ Dual »
I promise not to duck.

280plus

• friend
  • Ever get that sinking feeling?
and a $1.00-a beak bounty.
There's something fundamentally wrong there but I still love it.  :laugh:
Avoid cliches like the plague!

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
They are migratory birds and the penalties regarding hunting them out of season are NWS territory.
Your state undoubtedly has rules regarding the methods for taking migratory waterfowl as well.

It wasn't a serious question..  I think we are all pretty familiar with the hunting regs.

Bigjake

• friend
I've long advocated hooking up the homeless of Milwaukee with retired rental golf-clubs from the municipal park courses, and a $1.00-a beak bounty. And they get to keep the meat.

You'd kill two birds with one stone. Pun intended.

You'd have more donations than birds to fill em',  if you passed the hat around here.

HankB

• friend
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
I think an air gun with a scope would be in order, low noise, not likely to attract PD, DWL, etc.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

S. Williamson

• formerly Dionysusigma
  • friends
  • It's not the years, it's the mileage.
 ;/

A bang is still a bang.  Quieter doesn't mean it draws less attention - if you've got uppity neighbors, they'll be on the way to the phone when they see you with a rifle, and dialing when they hear the pop.
"The chances of finding out what's really going on are so remote, the only thing to do is hang the sense of it and keep yourself occupied. I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
"And are you?"
"No, that's where it all falls apart I'm afraid. Pity, it sounds like quite a nice lifestyle otherwise."
-Douglas Adams

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
That's why you Shoot from well back in the room from a partially open window. Turns the whole house into a suppressor of sorts.  :angel:

Oh, and a barely sub-sonic .22 is best.
I promise not to duck.

Bigjake

• friend
That's why you Shoot from well back in the room from a partially open window. Turns the whole house into a suppressor of sorts.  :angel:

Oh, and a barely sub-sonic .22 is best.

CB Longs out of a rifle with a reasonably long barrel.  All you hear is a little snap/clicky sound.

HankB

• friend
CB Longs out of a rifle with a reasonably long barrel.  All you hear is a little snap/clicky sound.
Aguila Colibri out of a 10/22 is quieter than most spring-piston airguns . . . but do be careful when using these in an urban environment.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
Minor point.

An airgun might garner you a bit less legal trouble vs. a "real firearm" should all your OPSEC preparations fail you.
I promise not to duck.

castle key

• friend
I am going to have a safari in Arlington, VA.

We will go after one of the most elusive beasts known to man...a dangerous animal.

My neighbor has a Norway Rat that appears to have taken up residence in his garage. This prey also seems to have some relatives that may be doing real estate comps under my deck.

Location Location Location!!!

I have aquired .177 worth of firepower in an attempt to hunt effectively but discreetly. Fortunately, my neighbor with the resident of his garage will not complain, however I must be careful about the one on my other side.

I need a pith helmet.
Vigilate hoc, tenendum per ebrietatem.

RaspberrySurprise

• friend
  • Yub yub Commander
I think a monocle would be in order as well.
Look, tiny text!

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
I think a monocle would be in order as well.

Indubitably, my good man, indubitably....
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
HankB suggested:

THIS is the car you need:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxSex9VxlwI

Yer right.  A Birdapult. 

I was reluctant to open that link because of the filename, but it seems SFW.  I wonder why they used that.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 11:52:12 AM by 230RN »

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages

Having said that, they are a filthy critter with no manners.  I, for one, wish they'd never made their glorious comeback and Mallard, Black and Wood ducks were at a healthier level.

I'm pretty confident the thread was started in jest.  If I'd suspected the OP was really contemplating committing a federal crime, I'd have called Barry Oh myself.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

GigaBuist

• friends
    • http://www.justinbuist.org/blog/
Back when I lived in an apartment there was a pond just outside my back sliding door.  Around migration time it wasn't uncommon to find 60-70 geese back there making noise.

I know you can't just slaughter the suckers, but boy did I fantasize about buying a nice sharp katana and running out there one night screaming, "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!"