Author Topic: Ronin (Movie)  (Read 5502 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Ronin (Movie)
« on: August 10, 2010, 09:13:39 PM »
I am watching Ronin right now.  I want to watch it all over again when I am done.  I don't think I will ever tire of it.  A few flaws, of course, but just a solid, classic film. [Sean Bean]That's a fact!  That's a fact![/SB]
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
Re: Ronin (Movie)
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:36:26 PM »
What color is the boat house?

Phantom Warrior

• friend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 10:58:13 PM »
The "He must be trying to kill  me.  He sprayed Teflon on his bullets" comment still bothers me years later.  Too ridiculous.

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 11:04:21 PM »
The "He must be trying to kill  me.  He sprayed Teflon on his bullets" comment still bothers me years later.  Too ridiculous.

The police response times to firefights with automatic weapons is unbelievably slow. Still a very good movie, though.

"I hurt someone's feelings once." Some good lines.

Parker Dean

• friend
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 11:23:51 PM »
The police response times to firefights with automatic weapons is unbelievably slow.

I'd be pretty slow about taking a handgun to an automatic weapons firefight, too.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 12:14:50 AM »
I'm going out on a limb here and seconding fistful.  Awesome classic.  The car chases are phenomenal and have yet to be outdone by any movie.  A pinnacle of stunt driving.  And that's only one facet of the movie.

I've owned this DVD for probably 10 years.  I must have watched it at least 4-5 times in the first year I bought it, and still watch it a couple times a year.  It's been about 9 months since I last watched it.

Think I'll go watch it again, now, tonight.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 12:31:35 AM »
The car chases are phenomenal and have yet to be outdone by any movie.  A pinnacle of stunt driving. 

I'm no expert on chase scenes or driving, but it's pretty sweet to have two great car chases in one film.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 12:36:55 AM »
One of my favorites.

Sam: "What's in the case?"

Gregor: "What could have been conducted in a collegial atmosphere has now been f^&#*d into cocked hat!"

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 12:42:55 AM »
Awesome movie with great actors. I've always liked Jean Reno, and him with Robert De Niro is great.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 01:28:32 AM »
Awesome movie with great actors. I've always liked Jean Reno, and him with Robert De Niro is great.

Exactly.

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 02:32:42 AM »
I'm no expert on chase scenes or driving, but it's pretty sweet to have two great car chases in one film.

That's Frankenheimer for you.  Same guy that directed "Grand Prix".

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 05:53:48 AM »

Same here....but this was the only movie that I didn't like Sean Bean in...he's leading star material, not sniveling henchman....guess I've been watching too many of the Sharpes movies lately....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 09:18:42 AM »
The flaws irritate me also. Self-surgery to remove an abdominal bullet?

But the good far outweighs the bad. A definite classic.

I saw it in the theater with a group of guys. This sequence:

Bean: "Not done too well have you, last few wars?"

De Niro: "Perhaps not, but at least we don't go around whining about it."

brought us to our feet cheering. Good stuff.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
I don't mean to pick on "Ronin" when I ask this, but when did driving the wrong way on freeways in chase scenes come into vogue in movies? It seems like just about every movie with a chase scene has a wrong way part. The "Bourne" series, "Taken" and "Ronin" come to mind immediately, but I've seen others.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:46:19 PM »
I'd be pretty slow about taking a handgun to an automatic weapons firefight, too.

[Sean Bean]That's a fact!  That's a fact![/SB]

Plot, script, execution, character development...all there.

Ronin is a great movie.  Too much to mention, but the fact that the dude lets the skater hang and she gets it marks it as an order of magnitude grittier than standard action/thriller film fare.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 05:27:32 PM »
Same here....but this was the only movie that I didn't like Sean Bean in...he's leading star material, not sniveling henchman....guess I've been watching too many of the Sharpes movies lately....

I like him, too, but you can't blame Ronin for the fact that he keeps playing supporting actors or, at best, the evil nemesis.  Look at LotR, National Treasure, Goldeneye or Equilibrium. 

Headless Thompson Gunner

• friend
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »
"Are you worried about saving your own skin?"

"Yeah, I am.  It covers my body."

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 08:18:05 PM »

I like him, too, but you can't blame Ronin for the fact that he keeps playing supporting actors or, at best, the evil nemesis.  Look at LotR, National Treasure, Goldeneye or Equilibrium. 

Yeah....but those were much better roles (esp. the villian roles) for Bean than playing a sniveling weasel in Ronin....but he was even good in that....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

zahc

• friend
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 08:28:52 PM »
I thought this would be a samurai movie; if so, it sounds a lot different than the other samurai movies I've seen.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 08:39:58 PM »
zahc, they do talk about some famous samurai.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 11:22:34 PM »
zahc, they do talk about some famous samurai.

Jean-Pierre: The ronin could have hired themselves to new masters. They could have fought for themselves. But they chose honor. They chose myth.

Sam: They chose wrong.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 12:10:40 AM »
One of my very favorite movies, in spite of the admittedly annoying flaws.

The car chases are done all in real life, no trick photography or cgi. Never matched for real chase scenes, and it never will be.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Cromlech

• friend
  • English bloke
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 05:33:15 AM »
I think Sean Bean is an excellent supporting actor, but yes, it would be nice to see him in a leading role from time to time. I remember this from a few years back:

OUTLAW trailer - uncut version

Basically a kind of 'Death Wish' for the UK.

As for Ronin, I love it.

When in deadly danger, when beset by doubt, run in little circles, wave your arms and shout!

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 09:49:01 AM »
For anyone who hasn't seen the films, Sean Bean is fantastic as Richard Sharpe. (The first couple of series. The latter plots get a little thin.)

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 11:31:56 AM »
I thought this would be a samurai movie; if so, it sounds a lot different than the other samurai movies I've seen.

It's about spies in Europe after the fall of the USSR/combloc.  The spies are now masterless not unlike the ronin of feudal Japan, and they get hired on to perform a job.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!