Author Topic: asking the right questions  (Read 2716 times)

geronimotwo

• friend
asking the right questions
« on: July 21, 2010, 09:09:06 PM »
stopped by a garage sale this weekend, and was a little peeved to see the guy ahead of me walking away with a folding rifle rest that he just purchased for 5.00.  so i ask the owner if he has any other gun stuff for sale. he says "no", then "well, i was thinking of selling my two pistols".  one is a ruger p97dc with two holsters and the factory box and mags, and the other is a keltec p-40.  they are really clean, he might have shot a box or two of ammo through each.  got them both with some ammo for $400.  now i just have to figure out what to do with 'em.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
Re: asking the right questions
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 09:31:14 PM »
Well, you can figure out how to afford physical therapy for your wrists after you fire the P-40.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

BReilley

• Just a frog in a pond.
  • friend
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 09:32:57 PM »
1> Verify function by unloading several boxes of various ammunition through each pistol(perhaps not so many through the Kel-Tec, that's probably a handful).
2> ...
3> Profit.

For what you paid, you can probably sell one of the two and break even.

Or keep them.  That Ruger model is supposed to be quite a reliable pistol, and at that price would make a good "truck gun".  The Kel-Tec would probably make an outstanding concealment pistol, or a nice common-ammo backup for a larger .40.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 09:36:36 PM by BReilley »

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 09:37:13 PM »
Well, you can figure out how to afford physical therapy for your wrists after you fire the P-40.

first hand experience?

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 10:26:32 AM »
Yeah, the P-40 had the second-highest perceived recoil of any pistol I've fired.  The highest on that list is one of those ultra-light S&W .357 pocket revolvers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 03:31:05 PM »
Darn, I hate you guys!

The only man-stuff I ever see at yard sales is worn-through clothes in sizes either too small or too big, and cheap power tools that have been left out in the rain or dragged down a dirt road.  Oh, yeah!  Also someone's idea of DIY furniture projects that even I'd be embarassed to haul home if they were giving me money to take them.

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 03:48:11 PM »
one is a ruger p97dc with two holsters and the factory box and mags, and the other is a keltec p-40.  they are really clean, he might have shot a box or two of ammo through each.  got them both with some ammo for $400.

<sigh!>

What little I've read of the p-40 says it's brutal to shoot. 

Would love to have a P97.  Wanna trade a P90 for it?

got them both with some ammo for $400.

Good deal.  My P90 was $400, back when
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 06:21:38 PM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 10:32:03 PM »
^^  stay safe.
[/quote]at this time i've been too busy to get out and shoot.  after, i might consider trading if it's not what i find comfortable.

Darn, I hate you guys!

The only man-stuff I ever see at yard sales is worn-through clothes in sizes either too small or too big, and cheap power tools that have been left out in the rain or dragged down a dirt road.  Oh, yeah!  Also someone's idea of DIY furniture projects that even I'd be embarassed to haul home if they were giving me money to take them.

did i mention i just found a single shot 12ga for $5?

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 11:46:13 PM »
[/quote

I have owned & carried a P40 for some years.  It is an amazing bit of engineering, right on the edge of HUMAN limits.  If you regularly limp-wrist your autos, sell it.

Keep it lubed (I like synthetic grease) and polish the feed ramp  If you are not pocket carrying, the pinky rest on the mag is helpful.

Recoil is...impressive.  MOre than an all-steel 2" J-frame .357mag with hot 125gr pills.

I carried mine so much hte finish wore off. I then had it nickel-plated at a guy who will do it for $25/$35 plus shipping (ofthe slide).

Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2010, 06:55:27 AM »
I never meant to imply that there was anything wrong from an engineering perspective.  I have owned a couple of P-11s and they functioned as they should, and my buddy has a P-32 that he is very happy with.  I've had my eye on the SU-16CA lately and I may yet buy a Sub-2000 Glock/.40 someday.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 08:06:00 AM »
Recoil is...impressive.  MOre than an all-steel 2" J-frame .357mag with hot 125gr pills.

About what I would guess.  

By compartison, I picked up a PF9 a couple weeks back.  Interwebz Gunboard whiners say it's painful.  I find shooting 115gr FMJ blasting ammo through it about par with shooting .38 in a steel snub.  Nothing to write home about.

If it were me, I'd start w/ mild handloads in that P11.

Note to self: "beltclip"
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:26:06 AM by lee n. field »
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:36:13 AM »
i like the idea of the belt clip as well. but, as a contractor, i don't like to subject my carry piece to the amount of sweat i can produce on a hot day.