Author Topic: Cheapest paint job - tailgate  (Read 15493 times)

Hutch

• friend
Cheapest paint job - tailgate
« on: September 09, 2010, 08:51:26 AM »
I finally broke down and bought a new tailgate for my F250.  It's complete, except for the emblems and a plastic bit that goes across the top.  It is, however, a flat black color, not the 11 year old "industrial truck white" of my trusty truck.  I'm perfectly content to leave it that way, but the Director of Operations (aka SWMBO, aka Good Wife) has decreed that it will be painted white.  I am seriously considering a couple of cans of Rust-O-Leum (sp?) just to keep piece.  I've been given an estimate of $150 from local body shops.  I mean, if Earl Scheib can paint any car for $50, why is it that much more expensive for a prepped tailgate?  Anybody got any suggestions for tight-fisted ol' Hutch?
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Cheapest paint job - tailgate
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 09:07:44 AM »
A couple cans of Rustoleum. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Chester32141

• friend
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 09:10:19 AM »
A couple cans of Rustoleum and take the job seriously and for about $10 you can have a paint job that looks professional ... ;)
"The best argument against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter...... "

Photos
CBs Hawg Sauce

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 09:12:48 AM »
A couple cans of Rustoleum. 

11 year old work truck, yes!
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 09:17:18 AM »
For the record, that flat black is most likely a Primer, and you really want to paint it soon, as Primers don't really hold up all that well.

You don't really want to use Rustoleum.  Get an automotive enamel and it'll hold up WAY better.  Different paint has different uses.

What's your painting ability?

Do you have a compressor, and a cup gun?  If so your best bet is a quality automotive paint, reduced and sprayed.  Two or three nice coats will be fine for a work truck. Something like this is what you need.

Not a Painter?  No Biggie.  With a little patience you can get good results from a rattle can paint job.  Go to an autoparts store and get a couple cans of something like the Duplicolor that matches your truck. Take the tailgate off the truck, clean it well, wipe it down with the appropriate thiner and spray about 5 or 6 thin coats from your rattle can.  Read and follow the instructions on the can for recoat and dry times, as well as fan overlap.  Take your time and it'll come out just fine.  Probably about $30-$35 worth of paint and an afternoon.  Most people that mess up spray paint use too heavy a coat or uneven coats.

A lot of really good paint is the skill of the painter, but for an 11yo work truck, you should be able to put down an adequate finish, that'll look at least as good as those Maaco hack jobs with no real problem.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »
Latex house paint.

FTW.
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2010, 10:03:08 AM »
Okay, I can imagine hanging the tailgate by the cables in the garage.  I can imagine going to O'Reilly's or Autozone or Napa and buying 2 cans of gloss white Rustoleum.  I can imagine using masking tape and newspaper to mask the handle, pins, latches etc.  Once I spray everything that ain't masked, do I just let it hang?  Cover it with cheese cloth? ;)  Put a hairdryer on it?  I got nuthin'...
"My limited experience does not permit me to appreciate the unquestionable wisdom of your decision"

Seems like every day, I'm forced to add to the list of people who can just kiss my hairy ass.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2010, 10:13:21 AM »
Once you paint it, it should be fully dry in about 24 hours, depending on your heat and humidity levels.  Just try and protect it from getting anything on it (maybe surround it with plastic...note I didn't say "cover").
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:45 AM »
Skip the "quality automotive paint." Prices have skyrocketed. Depending on color, a quart will cost you between $50 and $75, and then you have to have a way to spray it. The good auto paint stores will package the color of your choice into an aerosol spray can, but that's still very pricey.

Head to Wal-Mart, or one of the chain auto parts places. Look for Duplicolor in the larger "truck" cans. You won't have as many choices on color, but they'll have several versions of white, and on an 11-year old truck no new paint is going to be a perfect match anyway. The flat black on the tailgate is primer, but it's very thin. It would be a good idea to wipe the surface down with a thinner/degreaser, then shoot a new coat of primer, and THEN shoot the white. Do not use conventional "paint thinner" to degrease -- it leaves a film. The chain auto parts places sell a product called Prep_sol ... that's what you want. Use clean rags to wipe down, and turn the rags frequently so you don't transfer dirt and grease from one section of the surface to another.

I would let the paint cure for at least 48 hours before even thinking about handling it. 24 hours would be nice, but it's not realistic if you're going to be handling the tailgate the reinstalling it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »
Skip the "quality automotive paint." Prices have skyrocketed. Depending on color, a quart will cost you between $50 and $75, and then you have to have a way to spray it. The good auto paint stores will package the color of your choice into an aerosol spray can, but that's still very pricey.

Not to be picky, but I posted a link to a Gal. of good paint with reducer and hardener for $65.  The paint's not that expensive unless you go for House of Kolor or something exotic.  That does assume spray equipment is owned, which it is sounding more and more like Hutch doesn't.

Hutch:

Just let it air dry in a clean dust free environment.  Depending on humidity and temp it should be good and hard in 24-48 hrs try and keep any dust and animal fur away from it.  I've had good luck surrounding painted objects with old sheets or Home Depot drop cloths (plastic sheeting) just set up some kind of stand so that it doesn't actually touch the tailgate.

T.O.M.

• friend
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2010, 11:00:40 AM »
I had a buddy who painted a 1976 Dodge Duster with Duplicolor and a couple of paint rollers.  The finish wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad, either.  For a tailgate on a work truck, I'm sure that would do fine.
No, I'm not mtnbkr.  ;)

a.k.a. "our resident Legal Smeagol."...thanks BryanP
"Anybody can give legal advice - but only licensed attorneys can sell it."...vaskidmark

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2010, 11:35:10 AM »
I cannot believe that I am the first to suggest roll-on bedliner.  It even comes in white.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2010, 11:42:20 AM »
I used to work in a laquer booth, and I've never had any luck with cans of spray paint  =(

You could probably rent a compressor and paint sprayer (or better yet, an airless) for a few hours.

Or just buy a cheap compressor (they always come in handy!) and a cup sprayer.   =)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2010, 11:53:38 AM »
I used to work in a laquer booth, and I've never had any luck with cans of spray paint  =(

You could probably rent a compressor and paint sprayer (or better yet, an airless) for a few hours.

Or just buy a cheap compressor (they always come in handy!) and a cup sprayer.   =)

Case in point, my compressor was a harbor freight special at $89.  I've abused it for two solid years and it's still running well.

Hutch

• friend
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2010, 12:30:08 PM »
Well guys, I appreciate all the tips.  Just for the record, I do have a very good DeWalt compressor.  But....

Time is money, and I just got back from delivering the tailgate to a local bidness with whom I trade.  For $125, they will do a complete job, including re-attaching the blue oval, the F-250 logo, and the top protector.  That gives me at least one more range trip during my week off.

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 01:14:15 PM »
Another lost opportunity to go to Lowes and buy yourself a paint gun.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 06:06:42 PM »
Shooting paint is a hobby, too  =D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 10:09:22 PM »
if you go spray can, you can buy automative paint matched to your truck and loaded in a can at a auto paint shop. or you can go with the engine paint and you don't have to worry how close you have your BBQ to you truck, or your bumperdumper causing the paint to peel. [popcorn]

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 10:11:04 PM »
The best thing that you can do with a spray can is take it out to the range and shoot it with your gun  ;)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 10:25:10 PM »
actually i have seen some good results from the paint shop loaded cans. but that was a guy that used to work in one. [tinfoil] a fiberglass bumper. hated the way it looked. but the paint was nice. :angel: