Author Topic: $400 Million for "Food Deserts"  (Read 10185 times)

MechAg94

• friend
Re: $400 Million for "Food Deserts"
« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »
Personally, I think if you have something someone wants in those neighborhoods, I don't think the fact that you are a neighbor would stop them from trying to get it.  I have no doubt there are good people or people that are potentially good, but I also have no doubt there are people who are up to no good.

My issue with buying property in a place like Detroit is that even if you bought it, the city and others would probably not let you tear anything down or do anything useful with the property. 
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2010, 08:28:12 AM »

My issue with buying property in a place like Detroit is that even if you bought it, the city and others would probably not let you tear anything down or do anything useful with the property. 

I'd be real curious to see what the price difference is in purchase/lease of commercial property in the average inner city vs. the nearby suburbs, as well as the taxes....
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2010, 05:11:09 PM »
I'd be real curious to see what the price difference is in purchase/lease of commercial property in the average inner city vs. the nearby suburbs, as well as the taxes....
Not just that, but you probably have to get permission from zoning boards, planning commissions, and others, use contractors that are "licensed" to do that work in that city.  I bet the local politicians have made it very difficult to make any business work in that city.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

HankB

• friend
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2010, 10:27:44 PM »
Not just that, but you probably have to get permission from zoning boards, planning commissions, and others, use contractors that are "licensed" to do that work in that city.  I bet the local politicians have made it very difficult to make any business work in that city.
Chicago was the same . . . I grew up there, and my Dad and I did a lot of work on our own house that was probably not allowed, as we weren't licensed union plumbers/electricians/plasterers/carpenters/whatever.

And there was no such thing as a "permit" so long as it wasn't visible from outside . . .
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain