Author Topic: TSA Super Thread  (Read 209596 times)

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
Re: Fighting back against the TSA?
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2010, 12:18:29 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AA55S20101111

The man's right. When we are so crippled by fear that we can excuse children being molested in front of their parents and being necessary the terrorists have won.

This.

x a million bajillion.

I got this email from Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson's office

Dear Friend:
     Thank you for contacting me regarding airline safety and security.  I welcome your thoughts and comments.

As the Ranking Member of the Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee, I understand the importance of aviation security.  Since our nation was attacked on 9/11, we have instituted many effective policies to protect us against the threat of future terrorist attacks.  Many of these policies naturally impact the transportation sectors in the U.S., particularly at airports.   Unfortunately, these security policies systematically failed with the nearly successful terrorist attack on one of our airliners on Christmas Day 2009 by an Al Qaeda-trained Nigerian terrorist.  This disturbing incident highlights the evolving nature of terrorist threats against our country.

In response to the December 25, 2009 attempted attack, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) announced plans to enhance passenger screening and detection capabilities, including an increase in the deployment of advanced imaging technology (AIT) machines, also known as "body imaging scanners",  from 878 units to 1,800 units by 2014.  The AIT produces an image of a passenger's body that a screener can use to identify objects or anomalies on the outside of the physical body. TSA officials have also indicated they hope to use this technology for primary screening where feasible, rather than as a strictly secondary measure.  However, passengers concerned for their personal privacy may always opt for traditional screening methods.

We must ensure that the federal security agencies entrusted with protecting us can adapt the detection and prevention measures we employ to stay ahead of these changing threats.  It is clear that the current measures in place were inadequate to prevent this type of plot.  The country was very fortunate that when the device malfunctioned the crew and passengers of flight 253 acted heroically.  Our nation must do better.

Along with this increased commitment comes an increased responsibility on the part of the security agents and administrators.  TSA must pay close attention to the privacy concerns of individuals, consistently demonstrate reasonable judgment, and perform its duties in a highly professional manner.  Failure to exercise sound judgment and professionalism is not acceptable.  Please be assured that I will continue to do everything in my power to hold security providers accountable.

I appreciate hearing from you, and I hope that you will not hesitate to contact me on any issue that is important to you.     

Sincerely,
Kay Bailey Hutchison
United States Senator

284 Russell Senate Office Building
Washington, DC  20510
202-224-5922 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              202-224-5922      end_of_the_skype_highlighting (tel)
202-224-0776 (fax)
http://hutchison.senate.gov

They
just
don't
get
it.

I sent a scathing reply.  We'll see if that goes anywhere.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2010, 12:58:32 PM »
Wow.  Glad she failed in her bid to be Gov of Texas.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2010, 04:38:13 PM »
You know what, this whole thing with the TSA right now has made me optimistic.

Right around the time I saw this topic posted, I started seeing articles and reports all over the news on it. There is a groundswell of indignation and revolt that is running from the Left to the Right. The Left still has its "it's for the children" people backing TSA, and the Right still has the "as long as it's for our security, I'm for it" people doing the same, but I am seeing a LARGE cross-section of political beliefs coming out against the new procedures.

The fact that people who will disagree about health care, and taxes, and politics in general until Hell freezes over, can all come together to protest an injustice like this, and demand change, ups my pride in America.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2010, 08:04:48 PM »
Also note:

The stink started on the "unreliable" sites that every smart ass says something like "Do you have a credible source/link?"

The MSM links took a while to get rolling.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2010, 08:06:41 PM »
JJ:

You finally feel Texas's pain with regard to Senator Squish.  Makes Governor Goodhair look great in comparison.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

erictank

• friends
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2010, 09:31:31 PM »
Caution: images at top and bottom of linked site are from Nude-O-Scopes aka virtual-strip-search-machines, possibly NSFW - but that's part of the problem, isn't it? (I believe the bottom ones are from the MMW scanners, and the top ones are from the TSA-preferred, and ionizing-radiation-using, backscatter-X-Ray machines produced by the company owned in part by ex-TSA bigwig Michael Chertoff)

http://www.optoutday.com/

"National Opt Out Day" - if you fly on Wed Nov 24, 2010, please say "I choose to opt-out" when directed to go through the Nude-O-Scope.  When directed to endure the perp-frisk (or "enhanced pat-down", in TSA-speak), have it done in public, or at the very least in front of YOUR choice of witnesses, not TSA's.

Of course, it's good to do these things ANY day you fly, not just on the 24th, but they're trying to get EVERYONE to refuse the Nude-O-Scope that day.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2010, 09:52:39 PM »
What needs to happen is a woman (not being sexist, but it'll have to be a woman to work) being groped *slaps* the TSA agent when he grabs her crotch or her boobs.  A hard slap.  She'll be arrested, of course, but that will be the Rosa Parks moment.
"It's good, though..."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2010, 10:39:20 PM »
i maintain, give me my native,(spyderco) diesel,(gerber) and no.6,(opinel) pocket knives. and every other passenger there EDC pocket knifes. and let the cowards try to hijack another passenger plane. >:D

much less there loaded CCWs

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 11:46:07 PM »
What needs to happen is a woman (not being sexist, but it'll have to be a woman to work) being groped *slaps* the TSA agent when he grabs her crotch or her boobs.  A hard slap.  She'll be arrested, of course, but that will be the Rosa Parks moment.
Not likely to happen. They have male and female personnel on hand for just that, IIRC.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 09:16:00 AM »
JJ:

You finally feel Texas's pain with regard to Senator Squish.  Makes Governor Goodhair look great in comparison.

Not really....it just means that Texas is even more screwed up in its politics than it thinks it is....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #35 on: November 13, 2010, 09:43:29 AM »
Not likely to happen. They have male and female personnel on hand for just that, IIRC.
So a female TSA agent groping a female passenger is OK? 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2010, 09:57:27 AM »
What needs to happen is a woman (not being sexist, but it'll have to be a woman to work) being groped *slaps* the TSA agent when he grabs her crotch or her boobs.  A hard slap.  She'll be arrested, of course, but that will be the Rosa Parks moment.

Given that they gender match for the pat down. it might actually work better (or more likely happen) with a man. If somebody squeezes too hard in the wrong place and squishes one of my testicles, punching him in the head might very well be an involuntary reaction to get him and the pain to stop.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2010, 10:44:37 AM »
Hmmm...

So what would the possible reactions be if they check a gay man, and he just smiles?

Something tells me there's comedy gold in there...

[popcorn]
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2010, 12:30:29 PM »
So a female TSA agent groping a female passenger is OK? 
No, just more likely to get away with it in the current era, IMO. After all, certain groups really believe that "all men are dogs/rapists."
And any reaction to same-sex groping would no doubt be spun as homophobia.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2010, 12:38:31 PM »
No, just more likely to get away with it in the current era, IMO. After all, certain groups really believe that "all men are dogs/rapists."
And any reaction to same-sex groping would no doubt be spun as homophobia.

So, what if - just for the sake of argument - I would claim to be "gay" and demand a female to pat me down ?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #40 on: November 13, 2010, 12:42:03 PM »
Hmmm...

So what would the possible reactions be if they check a gay man, and he just smiles?

Something tells me there's comedy gold in there...

[popcorn]

Oh, you better believe I will act like I enjoy every minute of it.  I will make the TSAweenie feel like he's the one who just got molested...
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #41 on: November 13, 2010, 01:01:35 PM »
Oh, you better believe I will act like I enjoy every minute of it.  I will make the TSAweenie feel like he's the one who just got molested...

You'd better have someone video it and then post it here!  :laugh:

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2010, 01:04:36 PM »
So, what if - just for the sake of argument - I would claim to be "gay" and demand a female to pat me down ?
Probably wouldn't let you, though it's worth a try.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2010, 02:18:00 PM »
Probably wouldn't let you, though it's worth a try.

Well, it's better to just not fly.

The only times that I have ever flown were when I had to for work.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2010, 02:39:37 PM »

Incorrect. They say that the pat-downs will be conducted by a member of the same gender, but in reality it doesn't work that way unless the passehnger makes a stink -- and that simply invites a more invasive "pat-down."

Funny -- they don't have these things in Israel, they have bomb sniffing dogs and security agents trained to spot people who might be carrying/wearing bombs, and they haven't had any planes blown up. The only reason that won't work for the U.S. is that the U.S. gummint doesn't want it to work.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2010, 03:02:24 PM »
Funny -- they don't have these things in Israel, they have bomb sniffing dogs and security agents trained to spot people who might be carrying/wearing bombs, and they haven't had any planes blown up. The only reason that won't work for the U.S. is that the U.S. gummint doesn't want it to work.

I don't like any of this stuff, but from what I've read of the Israeli methods is that they are more effective and less intrusive. Don't know how accurate that is, and maybe Micro can weigh in. If we can't get rid of "enhanced" screening altogether, on the face of it if they're going to give me a pounding without Vaseline, the Israeli method seems like it would be more likely to actually be effective against the bad guys. My understanding is that most of the "screening" takes place before you ever reach the airport.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2010, 04:25:55 PM »
I wonder what would happen if ya had a raging boner when they groped you? I'd love to see the look on the TSA guys face if he crabbed someones hard-on!
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!

Regolith

• friend
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2010, 04:37:44 PM »
I wonder what would happen if ya had a raging boner when they groped you? I'd love to see the look on the TSA guys face if he crabbed someones hard-on!

Heh.  A lot of people are saying that they're going to act like they "like" it, just to embarrass the hell out of the TSA agent.

Personally, I'm just going to avoid flying.  I've done without it for 24 years, and I'll continue to do without it if this crap keeps up.
The price of freedom is eternal vigilance. - Thomas Jefferson

Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves. - William Pitt the Younger

Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything. - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
« Reply #48 on: November 13, 2010, 06:12:43 PM »
I too am done with flying.  I can get across the country just fine on wheels and enjoy watching the landscape change as I do so. Getting scanned, groped and treated like a crimminal for purchasing the services of an airline is not in the equation.

A blogger recounts his encounter with the TSA this morning.

http://johnnyedge.blogspot.com/2010/11/these-events-took-place-roughly-between.html#comment-form

Sadly not everyone is willing to stand up to the TSA, even when their children are involved.

http://www.lewrockwell.com/blog/lewrw/archives/69522.html

[barf]
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

HeroHog

• Technical Site Pig
  • Administrator
  • It can ALWAYS get worse!
    • FaceButt Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2010, 06:33:49 PM »
EVERY time I fly I get the "special treatment", of course they tell me it's "random" but random, by definition is not 100% of the time, no? Think me having been an FFL, having CHP in the 3 different individual states I have lived in an 1 I haven't as well as 1 back BEFORE "shall issue" might have anything to do with it? Naw, that's just a coincidence... Yeah, I don't intend to fly any time soon unless forced to.
I might not last very long or be very effective but I'll be a real pain in the ass for a minute!
MOLON LABE!