Author Topic: TSA Super Thread  (Read 209584 times)

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
Re: TSA Plays "Pocket Pool" With Passenger's Equipment
« Reply #200 on: November 17, 2010, 08:44:24 PM »
Yes around the 30 second mark does look rather like it.

Irregardless, WTF purpose does it serve to give a detailed wanding to a three year old?

When they are adults it will seem the normal way to be treated. Teach em young.
For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #201 on: November 17, 2010, 08:58:43 PM »
calling that looking in the kids pants is a reach

http://hillbuzz.org/2009/12/28/could-the-underwear-bomb-herald-the-coming-diaper-bomb/

No, its not.  Even a quick peek at the kids diaper/underwear is going too far.

Where in the *expletive deleted*ck are we headed as a nation that this is even remotely accepted?
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Jamisjockey

• friend
Re: But the Nekkid Scanner Pics Aren't Saved!!!oneoneleventy1!
« Reply #202 on: November 17, 2010, 09:05:18 PM »
No, they promised "won't".  They required in the procurement requirements that the images can be saved and transmitted.  Otherwise the machine isn't meeting the contract requirements and the vendor could face a lawsuit.

Nyet.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/2010-11-15-column15_ST1_N.htm

"The imaging technology that we use cannot store, export, print or transmit images."

You and I both know she is lying.  But the depth of the lie makes it even worse. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #203 on: November 17, 2010, 09:07:37 PM »
Where in the *expletive deleted* are we headed as a nation that this is even remotely accepted?
I think we already know the answer, and it's a depressing one indeed.

Most of this outrage will fade as soon as the next season of American Idol or Lost or whatever the hell show people are currently zombified to rolls around to it's newest season.

If it doesn't maybe there is still some hope for America, but I will be mighty surprised.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Re: Fighting back against the TSA?
« Reply #204 on: November 17, 2010, 09:44:12 PM »
CSD:

Bottom line WRT the risk level of these two types of machines(1) is that TSA has not released enough data to rule out significant risk.  The released data leave large holes for assumptions & estimates, not to mention the means in which they are applying the radiation in question.  Anyone with only the data that has been released who says, "no worries" is no more valid than those saying there is significant risk(2) & (3).

FTR, my degree is in physics and I do a bit of work with RF, IR, and other non-visible wavelength emitters & detectors.  To be more specific, I model them.  To do so, I need some pertinent bits of information about them.  Without those bits, I can not determine their effects/effectiveness.  In the current brouhaha, I could do some of the pertinent calculations...given the data. 

Right now we have the TSA saying "trust me" after the EPA can ruled x-ray radiation a cancer risk and with little understanding of the effects of mm wave radiation on humans.

(1)  That I know of.  Backscatter X rays and millimeter wave. 

(2) A couple of fellows I know who left my employer for greener pastures liken the risk of death by cancer from one of the x-ray devices as roughly equivalent to being killed by a terrorist.  Pretty darned small.  BUt, if one is doing risk analysis, the net to the flying public is a wash: no reduction in total risk, just trade cancer risks down the road for lower death by terrorist risk toady (assuming the x-ray device completely eliminates the risk of death by terrorists for that flight).

(3)  The risks for the mm wave devices is a BIG unknown.  There has been little testing done, but the simulations show some ugly results.  Much more testing on live critters really ought to be done before subjecting the general public to thalidomide mm wave radiation.

This might help:
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #205 on: November 17, 2010, 10:02:21 PM »
Do you really think that aluminum skin of a jet liner will stop frangible ammo?

Not really. But there is a lot of other stuff tacked onto the inside of a modern aircraft's hull that might stop frangible ammunition.
But I'm with you about the actual necessity of using it.  It takes a really big hole to have an explosive decompression in an aircraft at high altitude.  And if you have a really big hole in your airplane, methinks you have other, more important problems to deal with.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #206 on: November 17, 2010, 10:04:33 PM »
Not really. But there is a lot of other stuff tacked onto the inside of a modern aircraft's hull that might stop frangible ammunition.
But I'm with you about the actual necessity of using it.  It takes a really big hole to have an explosive decompression in an aircraft at high altitude.  And if you have a really big hole in your airplane, methinks you have other, more important problems to deal with.

Do you mean the Hollyweird has been lying to me all this time?   ;/
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #207 on: November 17, 2010, 10:07:20 PM »
True, if you want to use 100 year old definitions of the words.  By that measure, you wouldn't call Democrats liberal or progressive either. 

And I don't.

I don't care much about who sees me nekkid, 

Pics or I call BS.  :P
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #208 on: November 17, 2010, 10:37:53 PM »

Pics or I call BS.  :P

If fistful starts a "Nude APS Members" thread, I motion that we nuke his site from orbit....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #209 on: November 17, 2010, 11:48:19 PM »
Nyet.

"The imaging technology that we use cannot store, export, print or transmit images."

You and I both know she is lying.  But the depth of the lie makes it even worse. 

http://epic.org/open_gov/foia/TSA_Procurement_Specs.pdf

and Appendix A.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Zardozimo Oprah Bannedalas

• Webley Juggler
  • friend
  • All I got is a fistful of shekels
« Reply #210 on: November 17, 2010, 11:55:43 PM »
A TSA guy called in to Rush and mentioned that the pictures could be saved, but weren't supposed to be (unless there was a weapon or other item detected, I guess).

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #211 on: November 18, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »
Nyet.

This leaves the field wide open on the issue of storing, exporting, printing or transmitting 'data' or 'files'.  Technically speaking, it is not an image until the software assembles the bits and bytes into an image.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #212 on: November 18, 2010, 12:23:44 AM »
http://epic.org/open_gov/foia/TSA_Procurement_Specs.pdf

and Appendix A.

Oh yeah I saw that a long time ago.  Doesn't mean that Janet isn't a freaking liar.
JD

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #213 on: November 18, 2010, 12:29:35 AM »
So what are they going to do when somebody swallows a bunch of Semtex condoms with a cell phone detonator?
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #214 on: November 18, 2010, 12:56:55 AM »
When you count on terror to justify tyranny, you might just get more than you bargained for.  Arrogance blinds people.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Nitrogen

• friends
  • Who could it be?
    • @c0t0d0s2 / Twitter.
« Reply #215 on: November 18, 2010, 03:08:35 AM »
I might disagree with you guys on a lot, but i'm with many of you 100% on things like this, and that's why I'm still here :)

(about this being WAY TOO FAR and out of line, that is)
יזכר לא עד פעם
Remember. Never Again.
What does it mean to be an American?  Have you forgotten? | http://youtu.be/0w03tJ3IkrM

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #216 on: November 18, 2010, 04:34:52 AM »
Shouldn't we just nuke Fistful from orbit. Preemptively, as it were?
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #217 on: November 18, 2010, 05:55:56 AM »
Shouldn't we just nuke Fistful from orbit. Preemptively, as it were?

To clarify, I meant "site" as in his physical location and surrounding area....maybe even the ajacent states...just to be sure....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Jamisjockey

• friend
« Reply #218 on: November 18, 2010, 08:08:39 AM »

Frangible ammo is probably more applicable to this situation due to the cramped quarters and probability that an overpenatration will result in hitting a passenger.
JD

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #219 on: November 18, 2010, 09:00:08 AM »
Stopping the threat is the goal. Modern JHPs do that better than frangible.  No agency that I know of uses frangible ammo on aircraft. 
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #220 on: November 18, 2010, 09:24:06 AM »
Logically, wouldn't the capability have to be there in order to preserve evidence for a potential investigation/trial? I'm not condoning this, just pointing out any suggestion that it can't/won't be done seems silly.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

Seenterman

• friend
« Reply #221 on: November 18, 2010, 10:45:35 AM »
Another totalitarian masking as a conservative, meet Emmett Tyrrell.

http://townhall.com/columnists/EmmettTyrrell/2010/11/18/pat_me,_pat_me/page/1

Yes, I blame the Drudge Report for this insane controversy about the use of high-tech body scanners and "pat-downs" at airport security zones.
Hello Emmett, meet the internet. Have a look around and you will find many other sites pissed off about this too.

How many more Americans would welcome a soothing pat-down midst the hurly-burly of travel at our nation's stress-filled airports I do not know, but count me in -- especially if the patter-downer is a cute little number on the order of, say, Sarah Palin.

Seriously WTF? A soothing pat down is he trying to be funny or does he actually think that? What if the patter-downer looks like Mr. T? Gonna be happy about getting patted down then? How about when Mr. T grabs your junk?

<Mr T's voice> I PITY THE FOOL THAT OPS OUT!</Mr T's voice>

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #222 on: November 18, 2010, 10:46:25 AM »
We will do ANYTHING to avoid "profiling," anything to avoid doing what makes sense to win this war.  America should have mobilized nine years ago.  Our airports are the only place most Americans have any contact with The Great Unpleasantness.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #223 on: November 18, 2010, 10:49:16 AM »
So... what if you actually have something in your pants - like a zuchinni for instance?
(are vegetables illegal now?)

What do they do then  ???
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

CNYCacher

• friend
« Reply #224 on: November 18, 2010, 11:00:41 AM »
So... what if you actually have something in your pants - like a zuchinni for instance?
(are vegetables illegal now?)

What do they do then  ???

You trying to squash our freedom?
On two occasions, I have been asked [by members of Parliament], "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.
Charles Babbage