Author Topic: TSA Super Thread  (Read 209570 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: TSA Super Thread
« Reply #325 on: November 19, 2010, 07:24:22 PM »
me too its been debunked several times but the believers trot it out everytime someone reprints the wnd piece

but hey why muddy the waters with facts and reality when you are in mid rant and high dudgeon .

there are some legitimate concerns but they easily get lost in the fabrication and it only makes it too easy to dismiss everything the present outa hand
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #326 on: November 19, 2010, 07:33:00 PM »
got a source for those?
there have been some circulated that were "funny"

In order:
nytimes.com
TSA
science.howstuffworks.com
screenshot of TSA demo.
moblog.whmsoft.net (kinda sketchy I know, but it matches the rest)
Dude at Fox that canceled Firefly.

This is one of the fake ones. I deliberatly left them out for much the same reasons you mentioned above. (link prolly NSFW)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #327 on: November 19, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »
I'm fairly certain the last one is not genuine.

Could be....sometimes TSA agents walk through them...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

• friends
« Reply #328 on: November 19, 2010, 07:36:10 PM »
In order:
nytimes.com
TSA
science.howstuffworks.com
screenshot of TSA demo.
moblog.whmsoft.net (kinda sketchy I know, but it matches the rest)
Dude at Fox that canceled Firefly.

This is one of the fake ones. I deliberatly left them out. (link prolly NSFW)

read that pdf  specially the part about privacy and how the machines address it and the difference between training mode and operational.
then see if you can find pics of one actually in operation  besides the ones i've already posted since obviously they don't count.  also feel free to show me where the tsa has saved sent the images.  not the us marshalls but the tsa
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #329 on: November 19, 2010, 07:49:36 PM »
EDIT
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #330 on: November 19, 2010, 07:55:10 PM »
read that pdf  specially the part about privacy and how the machines address it and the difference between training mode and operational.
then see if you can find pics of one actually in operation  besides the ones i've already posted since obviously they don't count.  also feel free to show me where the tsa has saved sent the images.  not the us marshalls but the tsa

Why?

You asked what images people were concerned about.  I provided some.  Those are the kind of images many folks don't want TSA employees to see of them.  Not the Gizmodo one.  The backscatter machines. 

The entire privacy portion of the .pdf is crap.  Obviously the images aren't kept private.  The TSA employee sees them.  Anyone beyond that is icing on the cake.  Folks don't want TSA people looking at (or feeling) their junk. how is that hard to comprehend for you?

Oleg Volk

• Administrator
    • Volkstudio Blog
« Reply #331 on: November 19, 2010, 08:01:31 PM »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2010, 08:23:20 PM »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2010, 08:55:51 PM »
I'm fairly certain the last one is not genuine.

Sure it is.  That's John S. Pistole, TSA Administrator.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2010, 09:11:45 PM »
[Forwarded from a friend of mine.  "bravebuddies" is a support group for parents of children with juvenile diabetes.  Interesting that French security is just as intrusive as TSA.]

To:  bravebuddies@yahoogroups.com

Hi there,

I was going to post this after our travels last summer, and forgot, but thought now might be the right time.  Before we left of vacation last year I prepared Jordan for all the security measures that she might be subjected to.  Turns out we were in for a few surprises!

San Francisco to London:  TSA spots the bulge from her pump and asks her to remove her cell phone.  Once they learn it's an insulin pump she is pulled aside for a pat down.  I go through security and wait by the exit for her.  While she is waiting for a female agent I am repeatedly ordered out of the area.  I kept smiling and saying that I'm waiting for my child.  Third warning to me comes with a threat to call the supervisor.  I tell him to do what he needs to do, but I'm not leaving my daughter unattended. The old style pat down takes place and I leave with Jordan before the supervisor arrives.

Paris to Washington DC:  The Paris security spots Jordan's pump and pulls her aside for the special screening.  I run into the same issue with them wanting me to leave.  The screening in Paris is closer to what our new screening will be - and when the agent grabs the waistband of her sweats and pulls them forward to look down Jordan's pants I was shocked.  Luckily it was over before I could react because my instinct was to rip her hands off my daughter.  Jordan was horrified and she still talks about how violated she felt.  Meanwhile as we're on the jetway boarding the plane an agent decides to pull me out of line and rescreen me.  First order of business was to take my passport.  It was a very long, completely thorough search/question session.  Meanwhile my other daughter who was with me at the time was being ordered onto the plane (in French so she didn't understand) without me.  Poor kid looked terrified.  I was finally given my passport back and allowed to board the plane.

Washington DC to San Francisco:  Once again Jordan is pat searched.  This time no one is yelling for me to move along!  After the search they take her to another area and have her handle her pump.  After she does they wiped her hand with a tissue and ran it through a machine.  They weren't rude but they didn't explain what they were doing and she was really confused.

So, my advice is that you talk to your child, maybe practice the pat down so they know what it will feel like. Explain that they might want to wipe their hands with a tissue and why. Jordan has never been allowed to just walk through the detector or be wanded... they have always pat searched her.  Be ready to stand your ground should security want to force you to leave your child unattended, but explain to your child that while you won't leave the area, you won't be able to stay right with them.  Prepare them for the chance that you are the one that is being selected for special screening and make sure they wait somewhere where they can see you.  If you're going to major tourist destinations expect tight security screening there as well (the vatican for example).  Btw, we never had any questions about all our supplies that went through the x-ray machines.

I was surprised by my visceral reaction to the search of my daughter in France and I'm not sure I can stomach someone touching her breasts and groin they next time we fly in the US.  And if she is forced to endure that on every leg of every flight we ever take... we just might be driving everywhere for the next few years!

Happy Travels :-)

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #335 on: November 19, 2010, 09:16:01 PM »
[Forwarded from a friend of mine.  "bravebuddies" is a support group for parents of children with juvenile diabetes.  Interesting that French security is just as intrusive as TSA.]

The creepy stuff is global now. It is part of the TERRAISM scare.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #336 on: November 19, 2010, 09:51:57 PM »
So, my advice is that you talk to your child, maybe practice the pat down so they know what it will feel like.

Oh, great - molest your own children so they will get used to it  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

stevelyn

• friend
Re: TSA Plays "Pocket Pool" With Passenger's Equipment
« Reply #337 on: November 19, 2010, 11:28:52 PM »
When you count on terror to justify tyranny, you might just get more than you bargained for.  Arrogance blinds people.

Yeah, but I remember a lot of people supporting TSA when the welfare-to-work morons were first federalized because they keep us saaaaaaaayfe. I also remember catching hell because I opposed it.

Well, how's that working out now?

The flying public is getting exactly what they deserve.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #338 on: November 20, 2010, 12:15:08 AM »
Just in time for the Holidays.....

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/1044965/
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

• friends
« Reply #339 on: November 20, 2010, 12:34:44 AM »

like this guy?
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/middle_east/article7145681.ece

A former US Marine is at the centre of Israel’s response to the outrage caused by its raid on a Gaza-bound aid boat after it listed him as one of five people on board with terrorist links.

Ken O’Keefe, 40, who lives in London, told The Times that he had met Ismail Haniya, the Hamas leader, and said that he supported the organisation’s “right to violent resistance”.

He also said that he had helped to subdue two Israeli commandos after leaders of the Turkish Islamic IHH charity enacted a plan to defend the boat.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #340 on: November 20, 2010, 12:52:25 AM »
Well, let's cavity-search everybody then. Don't want someone who has [gasp] met with a terrorist to go un-cavity-searched.

Under this definition, I would also have a 'terrorist' link. Given how I once met with a 'former' FATAH fighter.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #341 on: November 20, 2010, 01:03:21 AM »
Well, let's cavity-search everybody then. Don't want someone who has [gasp] met with a terrorist to go un-cavity-searched.

Under this definition, I would also have a 'terrorist' link. Given how I once met with a 'former' FATAH fighter.

disingenuous much?  there is a difference between meeting someone and helping disarm commandos.  heck i'm irish i've got terrorist kin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #342 on: November 20, 2010, 10:47:19 AM »
Helping disarm commandos is not an act of terrorism. Not by a long stretch.  But fine. You win. There are some U.S. Marines who can commit various acts that are dangerous and wrong. The average Marine is still not statistically likely to be a terrorist.

Hell, the average person is not statistically likely to be a terrorist.

freakazoid

• friend
« Reply #343 on: November 20, 2010, 11:05:28 AM »
So, my advice is that you talk to your child, maybe practice the pat down so they know what it will feel like. Explain that they might want to wipe their hands with a tissue and why. Jordan has never been allowed to just walk through the detector or be wanded... they have always pat searched her.  Be ready to stand your ground should security want to force you to leave your child unattended, but explain to your child that while you won't leave the area, you won't be able to stay right with them.  Prepare them for the chance that you are the one that is being selected for special screening and make sure they wait somewhere where they can see you.  If you're going to major tourist destinations expect tight security screening there as well (the vatican for example).  Btw, we never had any questions about all our supplies that went through the x-ray machines.

My advice would be to not accept that crap. If I had a child and they tried to pull something like that one of them would be on the floor.
"so I ended up getting the above because I didn't want to make a whole production of sticking something between my knees and cranking. To me, the cranking on mine is pretty effortless, at least on the coarse setting. Maybe if someone has arthritis or something, it would be more difficult for them." - Ben

"I see a rager at least once a week." - brimic

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #344 on: November 20, 2010, 11:14:36 AM »
Helping disarm commandos is not an act of terrorism. Not by a long stretch.  But fine. You win. There are some U.S. Marines who can commit various acts that are dangerous and wrong. The average Marine is still not statistically likely to be a terrorist.
Hell, the average person is not statistically likely to be a terrorist.

Especially while in uniform returning from a war zone.

JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2010, 11:42:11 AM »
heck i'm irish i've got terrorist kin

Or Freedom Fighters, depending on how you look at it  =D

Saorsa!
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

• friends
« Reply #346 on: November 20, 2010, 01:42:41 PM »
Or Freedom Fighters, depending on how you look at it  =D

Saorsa!

yup
though the westie cousins are hard to put a good spin on

P5 Guy

« Reply #347 on: November 20, 2010, 07:07:46 PM »
Just wait 'til they insist on doing the Trailways Cowboys that way.

Well i know Greyhound is the only survivor of the bus lines.

• friends
« Reply #348 on: November 20, 2010, 07:57:45 PM »
how would you profile
this guy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Finton

look up his pic
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:24:29 PM by cassandra and sara's daddy »

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.