Author Topic: TSA Super Thread  (Read 209590 times)

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: TSA Super Thread
« Reply #350 on: November 20, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
Your second link doesn't work.

thanks
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #351 on: November 20, 2010, 08:35:18 PM »
According to charges against him, on February 3, 1999, Finton indicated to a woman in Olney, Illinois, that he had "a firearm or other dangerous weapon”, took $323 and eight cartons of cigarettes “by the use of force,” and “caused great bodily harm” to the woman “in that he struck (her) in the face and pushed her into a desk.”[3] Finton was convicted of aggravated assault and aggravated robbery and spent 1999–2005 in prison
all i have to say is, unarmed victims are never a good thing. :angel:

AKA. the two to COM, and one to the head. school of terrorism prevention.

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #352 on: November 21, 2010, 08:33:08 AM »
C&SD.  You seem to be caught up in peoples pictures.  Part of the problem the US faces is when you use the word "Profiling" half the country thinks about pulling over a black guy.

Let me help with that.

• friends
« Reply #353 on: November 21, 2010, 10:55:49 AM »
oh i understand profiling  i'm trying to point out why it carries the seeds for fail. do i need to explain why we would be hard pressed to try israeli style here?
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2010, 12:10:07 PM »
do i need to explain why we would be hard pressed to try israeli style here?

We have 60 times the air traffic Israel has.  I don't think we have time to do it Israeli style based on that. 
Shame 'cause their way seems a lot saner......
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2010, 12:25:38 PM »
if we continue down this road, we'll have close to the same levels of air travel, as Israel. =D if i squint just right, i can almost think that's the goal. [tinfoil]

• friends
« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2010, 02:10:49 PM »
you check how full flights are recently? >:D

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #357 on: November 21, 2010, 02:31:46 PM »
I have no idea why people are so obsessed wit the Israeli system, anyway.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

• friends
« Reply #358 on: November 21, 2010, 02:37:56 PM »
because they only have peripheral knowledge of it?  i could sell frozen dog turds in some circles if i marketed them as israeli frozen dog turds

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #359 on: November 21, 2010, 02:49:46 PM »
I have no idea why people are so obsessed wit the Israeli system, anyway.

Cause Israel is tacti-cool and eleventy!

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #360 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:11 PM »
israeli frozen dog turds

Dogs are unclean  :O
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #361 on: November 21, 2010, 03:30:50 PM »
oh i understand profiling  i'm trying to point out why it carries the seeds for fail. do i need to explain why we would be hard pressed to try israeli style here?

I refuse to believe that our only choices are Checkpoint Charlie at the gate, or the Israili system.

There's a place for good Behavioral Profiling in a good American security setup.  At the very least screeners should be trained in it, and not afraid to pull folks from the line based on them fitting a profile.

That's not to say ONLY look at people that fit a profile, but be at least aware that a profile exists.

We should be able to adapt the parts of other countries systems that work and discard those that don't, or wouldn't, work for us.

For example, I recently flew through Amsterdam.  The security checkpoints there are at the gates.  each gate has an X-ray, magnetometer, and some screeners.  That means any one line NEVER has more then 1 flights worth of people, and often less. (they open the gate about 1.5 hrs before boarding starts.)  Security is the same as here (They have to conform to TSA standards on flights into the states) but total wait time is less then 15 min in line. And the line's are significantly less inviting targets.

We should be looking at things that work, and not concentrating on stupid, and invasive, crap that doesn't.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 07:08:08 PM by dogmush »

White Horseradish

• friend
« Reply #362 on: November 21, 2010, 04:17:32 PM »
At the very least screeners should be trained in it, and not afraid to pull folks from the line based on them fitting a profile.
The average TSA salary is $10.50 to $15 an hour. Do you think you can get trained professionals for that?
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.

Robert A Heinlein

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #363 on: November 21, 2010, 04:21:39 PM »
i could sell frozen dog turds in some circles if i marketed them as israeli frozen dog turds
On a stick?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2010, 04:39:22 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #364 on: November 21, 2010, 04:26:59 PM »
The average TSA salary is $10.50 to $15 an hour. Do you think you can get trained professionals for that?

And at that pay grade they get to feel my balls? Awesome!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

• friends
« Reply #365 on: November 21, 2010, 04:33:17 PM »

And at that pay grade they get to feel my balls? Awesome!

no paygrade covers that

• friends
« Reply #366 on: November 21, 2010, 04:35:33 PM »
I refuse to believe that our only choices are Checkpoint Charlie at the gate, or the Israili system.

There's a place for good Behavioral Profiling in a good American security setup.  At the very[/i] least screeners should be trained in it, and not afraid to pull folks from the line based on them fitting a profile.

That's not to say ONLY look at people that fit a profile, but be at least aware that a profile exists.

We should be able to adapt the parts of other countries systems that work and discard those that don't, or wouldn't, work for us.

For example, I recently flew through Amsterdam.  The security checkpoints there are at the gates.  each gate has an X-ray, magnetometer, and some screeners.  That means any one line NEVER has more then 1 flights worth of people, and often less. (they open the gate about 1.5 hrs before boarding starts.)  Security is the same as here (They have to conform to TSA standards on flights into the states) but total wait time is less then 15 min in line. And the line's are significantly less inviting targets.

We should be looking at things that work, and not concentrating on stupid, and invasive, crap that doesn't.

how many flights leaving amsterdam?  how many for the states?  1 1/2 before a flight?  we have 2 flights leaving in that time from gates at busy terminals

ramis

• friend
  • Rawr!
« Reply #367 on: November 21, 2010, 05:14:25 PM »
TSA twitter account.  =D

http://twitter.com/tsagov
The limerick, peculiar to English,
Is a verse form that's hard to extinguish,
Once congress, in session,
Decreed it's suppression,
But people got around it by writing the last line without any rhyme or meter.

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #368 on: November 21, 2010, 05:27:04 PM »
>And at that pay grade they get to feel my balls? Awesome!<

Which is the main reason I have never applied for a TSA position: there simply isn't enough money available to get me to feel Jamis' balls...
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

• friends
« Reply #369 on: November 21, 2010, 05:36:33 PM »
>And at that pay grade they get to feel my balls? Awesome!<

Which is the main reason I have never applied for a TSA position: there simply isn't enough money available to get me to feel Jamis' balls...

amen

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #370 on: November 21, 2010, 07:27:11 PM »

how many flights leaving amsterdam?  how many for the states?  1 1/2 before a flight?  we have 2 flights leaving in that time from gates at busy terminals

Not quite.

Depending on who you which source Amsterdam-Schiphol is between the ninth and fifteenth busiest airport in the world.

The only US airports above it are, in order: Hartsfield Jackson, O'hare, LAX, DFW, Denver and JFK.  JFK and Denver are within 15% of the passenger traffic.

Heathrow is the second buisiest airport in the world, and passengers report Security wait times of 5-15 min.  Would you like to tell us how the Brits don't understand terrorism?

Since 9/11/01, airport security in the US has gotten more expensive, more time consuming, and less effective.  Seriously, every minute we spend on gorram nail clippers is time and money away from actual security.

What we probably need to do is rip all security out of airports and start over with an effective, layered system, that considers actual threats, both objects and people, and doesn't sacrifice personal dignity and human rights to do it.

Before you start, yes I know it'll be expensive.  If we're too cheap as a country to swing actual security, scrap the whole thing and let me bring my Sig and a frakking diet coke on board. 

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #371 on: November 21, 2010, 07:57:34 PM »
Before you start, yes I know it'll be expensive.  If we're too cheap as a country to swing actual security, scrap the whole thing and let me bring my Sig and a frakking diet coke on board. 

That's a big 10-4.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #372 on: November 21, 2010, 10:19:16 PM »
So... why, exactly, can America not just revert to the situation up to 2008? Why are metal detectors and explosive sniffers not enough?

Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #373 on: November 21, 2010, 10:36:50 PM »
So... why, exactly, can America not just revert to the situation up to 2008? Why are metal detectors and explosive sniffers not enough?

I went through an explosive puffer-sniffer wearing my regular shooting jacket, which had been to the range a dozen times and not washed, residue of thousands of rounds on it.  I also wore it while reloading hundreds (perhaps thousands?) of rounds, exposed to fresh gunpowders of various burn rates as well as whatever compounds (lead strychnate?  mercury fulminate?) primers are made of.

Metal detectors don't catch ceramic or high quality polymer knives.

It was possible to get things into the plane.

Frankly, I don't care.  I have enough faith in the 1-3% of fellow air travellers that will absolutely MAUL the idiot who jumps up and says "Admiral Ackbar" or whatever.  Sophisticated/clandestine triggering require electronics.  Homebrew "chemical only" triggers require mixing and exposure to sight to mix (or awkward fiddling in bags/lavatory/other weird behavior).  And the 3oz limitation stops most chem-bombs from being very effective.

That's enough.

Nekkid scans are too much.  Pat downs are too much.  By about 10-fold.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #374 on: November 21, 2010, 10:39:55 PM »

And return to the failed policies of the last eight nine ten years? NEVER!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife