Author Topic: TSA Super Thread  (Read 209640 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: TSA Super Thread
« Reply #400 on: November 22, 2010, 06:38:21 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/22/AR2010112205514.html?hpid=topnews

and the survey says....

Nearly two-thirds of Americans support the new full-body security-screening machines at the country's airports, as most say they put higher priority on combating terrorism than protecting personal privacy, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

That's neat of them.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #401 on: November 22, 2010, 07:19:32 PM »
And so this is how freedom dies - with applause  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #402 on: November 22, 2010, 07:22:22 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/11/22/AR2010112205514.html?hpid=topnews

and the survey says....

Nearly two-thirds of Americans support the new full-body security-screening machines at the country's airports, as most say they put higher priority on combating terrorism than protecting personal privacy, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Then nearly 2/3rds of Americans are Stupid, or have been snowed.

You know what we need?  Some sort of list of rules, or limits on what government is allowed to do.  That way if the mojority of folks get scared, snowed, conned, or just don't care the .gov will know what it's not allowed to do.  It could include things like being secure in your home and person.

Nevermind, some ahole will just call it a "living document" and say that following it lets the terrorists win.

To quote myself from THR.us:

The whole point of the terrorist attacks on 9/11 was to change a free, prosperous country into something worse. I have to fly on orders next month, and I'm not going through a scanner. As I contemplate the thought of standing there in ACU's and letting my government feel my groin to make sure I don't have a bomb, I have to wonder if they didn't succeed beyond their wildest dreams.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #403 on: November 22, 2010, 07:24:41 PM »

and the survey says....

I trust that poll, like I trust the DNC not to raise taxes.  Who did they poll, 500 New Yorkers and 50 Pentagon workers?
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #404 on: November 22, 2010, 07:25:35 PM »
And so this is how freedom dies - with applause  ;/

Every time.  =(

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #405 on: November 22, 2010, 07:50:07 PM »

and the survey says....

[tinfoil]   Oh wonnerful ......

"Caesar si viveret ad remun da resis." ~~ "If Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar."

--Then maybe the ABC news poll respondants would on a faster course to Hell .......  [tinfoil] >:D :facepalm: :facepalm:
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #406 on: November 22, 2010, 08:03:11 PM »
Every time.  =(
Could have at least given us a nice circus

Wait...we got congress.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #407 on: November 22, 2010, 09:19:06 PM »
and the survey says....

Only a small percentage of Americans fly frequently (under 10 per cent).  It's certainly understandable most wouldn't be that troubled by what's going on.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #408 on: November 22, 2010, 09:27:19 PM »
Only a small percentage of Americans fly frequently (under 10 per cent).  It's certainly understandable most wouldn't be that troubled by what's going on.

The most objections came from those who fly with some frequency. Sixty percent of men who fly at least once a year say the new pat-down goes too far, compared with 48 percent of women.
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #409 on: November 22, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
Of course, the ones who fly most frequently also bear the most risk of getting blown up, and somehow are still not impressed with TSA Kabuki.

But one of the reasons that I don't fly at least once a year is in substantial part because of the TSA.  I wonder what proportion of non-flyers fall into category entirely or in part because of the TSA?  I know several of us here do, but it's hardly a random sampling.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #410 on: November 22, 2010, 10:11:53 PM »
Of course, the ones who fly most frequently also bear the most risk of getting blown up, and somehow are still not impressed with TSA Kabuki.

Very good point. Just like with guns, what I eat, and what I drive -- the people who don't exercise freedoms I exercise always seem to be the ones who are most happy to restrict those freedoms, or to not care if those freedoms are restricted.

So people that aren't flying and aren't getting felt up think it's a great policy and that the rest of us should stop whining. Neato.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
« Reply #411 on: November 22, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »

and the survey says....

Nearly two-thirds of Americans are also as dumb as a box of rocks.

There, it's been clarified for you.
I'm making my fourth business trip this year Saturday after next.  I am not looking forward to the TSA insecurity theater.  I may just buy a thong and make it easier for them to molest me.
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #412 on: November 23, 2010, 12:28:26 AM »
cutting out the showers from now might be funny(redundant but still funny :laugh:)

but the best thing to do is charter. next choice for me would be flying with no less then 10 rifles/shotguns, and a pistol or two. [popcorn] intimidate the intimidators.

got a .50 cal?

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #413 on: November 23, 2010, 12:51:25 AM »

And the beat goes on ...

http://www.examiner.com/county-political-buzz-in-san-diego/tsa-airport-screeners-gone-wild-san-diego-again

the San Diego Harbor Police arrested an area resident for refusal to complete the screening/security process yesterday
The incident was confirmed by Harbor Police Sergeant Rakos who said Wolanyk was arrested on two misdemeanors, “failing to complete the security process; violation code 7.01 and illegally recording the San Diego Airport Authority (they confiscated his iPhone); violation number 7.14 (a).”

Apparently there is a local ordinance that forbids recording of airport authority personnel.

Trivia note: Wolanyk successfully sued San Diego after he was arrested for openly carrying an unloaded firearm (which is not a crime in California).  He had the same legal representation (Jason Davis) as he does in this case.  Should be fun to watch the proceedings.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #414 on: November 23, 2010, 01:08:12 AM »

and the survey says....

I said on another forum that we should call these 2/3rd of "Americans" Americans In Name Only. AINO.

These people are going to be the ones that f*** it up (again) on Nov 6 2012 by electing either Obama or a RINO to the White House. They are a prime threat to our liberty (what's left of it, anyway).

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #415 on: November 23, 2010, 02:30:37 AM »
I'm buying a kilt.

I'm taking skivvies and trousers in my carry-on but wearing a kilt traditional style for going through security.

I plan on singing "Danny Boy" as the search begins and upping my register as the search nears the nads.

There's no regulation about singing, loudly.  If they try to shut me up I'm going all 1st Amendment on them.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Strings

• APS Pimp
  • friend
« Reply #416 on: November 23, 2010, 02:42:27 AM »
Matt... what's your waist size.

I'll loan you one of my kilts, if you promise to get video!
No Child Should Live In Fear

What was that about a pearl handled revolver and someone from New Orleans again?

Screw it: just autoclave the planet (thanks Birdman)

erictank

• friends
« Reply #417 on: November 23, 2010, 03:35:16 AM »
Has anyone else observed that these supposed security procedures seem less designed to find explosives and weapons, and more designed to find cash, jewelry, drugs, etc ... ???

This times eleventy-BILLION.  Some have noticed - but those who matter most either are the ones who've implemented "administrative searches" which seem explicitly designed to get around those nasty, pesky Constitutional protections, or they SIMPLY DON'T CARE.

and the survey says....

TSA has been claiming anywhere from 90-98%, at least until very recently.  Sad to say, the poll numbers would be a SUBSTANTIAL improvement...

And the beat goes on ...

http://www.examiner.com/county-political-buzz-in-san-diego/tsa-airport-screeners-gone-wild-san-diego-again
Apparently there is a local ordinance that forbids recording of airport authority personnel.

Trivia note: Wolanyk successfully sued San Diego after he was arrested for openly carrying an unloaded firearm (which is not a crime in California).  He had the same legal representation (Jason Davis) as he does in this case.  Should be fun to watch the proceedings.

Yup - bike-shorts guy, I read about him on TS&S.  I look forward to finding out how the charges against him will proceed, since it was *TSA* that refused to complete the required screening.  He was just making it easier for them to do so, if that was what they really, ACTUALLY wanted to do.

Note that the second charge against him was for recording public servants engaged in official duties in a public location with no legitimate expectation of privacy, a charge also filed against the bystander who was caught recording the incident, and BOTH of their expensive phones were stolen "confiscated". :mad: [ar15]  Wonder how *THAT'S* going to play out, too.  If one was tempted to emulate these protesters, might I recommend using the cheapest cameraphone capable of running something like Qik, which will stream video straight to the Web for storage and playback, so your evidence doesn't disappear - and have the phone set so that you need to log in manually every time you use it, so they can't get at it easily.

I'm buying a kilt.

I'm taking skivvies and trousers in my carry-on but wearing a kilt traditional style for going through security.

I plan on singing "Danny Boy" as the search begins and upping my register as the search nears the nads.

There's no regulation about singing, loudly.  If they try to shut me up I'm going all 1st Amendment on them.

TSA has gone on record in the past saying that the First Amendment does not apply at the checkpoint, Matthew.

I'm reasonably sure they've "officially" reversed that position since - people go through checkpoints wearing shirts like this one: http://trollkiller.spreadshirt.com/the-tsa-wants-to-see-me-naked-A4967364 (has copies of the web-available Nude-O-Scope male and female front and rear scans as a 4-panel pic on the front of the shirt, for those who don't want to click).  However, I consider it highly likely that the screener(s) will regard either the traditionally-worn kilt or the singing as "interfering with the screening process", and threaten you with arrest.  Whether an airport cop would actually DO it?  Dunno - but if they don't, I predict TSA will delay you as long as they can, to try to keep you from making your flight.

Having said that - second the call for video, man!  If provided, I'd like to link it to Flyertalk's Travel Safety & Security forum, with permission.  Most of the folks there would *LOVE* it, and would help to make whatever happens go viral.  The more we expose TSA's absurdity, pettiness, and disregard for the Constitution and the rights of their PAYING CUSTOMERS (the flying public), the better!  I have no plans to fly in the near future - can't afford it right this second anyways - but will have to try and acquire a kilt before doing so for that exact purpose.  Well, I probably wouldn't sing, myself...

Oh - be sure to *INSIST* on your screener changing his gloves, as is your right.  Tell him you want to see them come out of the box!  Also insist, prior to your frisk, that they ensure you can CLOSELY monitor your personal belongings from the x-ray machine - they have no problem ensuring you can't see them (and thus risk theft of any valuables), if you don't make a fuss about it.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #418 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:01 AM »
I said on another forum that we should call these 2/3rd of "Americans" Americans In Name Only. AINO.

These people are going to be the ones that f*** it up (again) on Nov 6 2012 by electing either Obama or a RINO to the White House. They are a prime threat to our liberty (what's left of it, anyway).

+1

Two-thirds may be an overstatement, but maybe not.  Lots of political zombies out there.  They will not figure in the resolution of what's forming.
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
« Reply #419 on: November 23, 2010, 10:36:26 AM »
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1332307/Now-abused-TSA-staff-vent-anger-security-patdown-searches.html

While I understand how frustrating their job might be, I'm just not working up any sympathy.

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #420 on: November 23, 2010, 11:02:38 AM »
It's similar to the situation in the schools.  Go deal with the people who put you into a no-win situation.  Don't blame us.  The DHS and TSA have forgotten that they work for us.  How much credibility do they have left?  From here it appears they don't care any more if they're credible, they're just telling us they're the boss of us.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #421 on: November 23, 2010, 11:13:45 AM »
I believe the TSA Chief needs to find a brain and some common sense.

Transportation Security Administration chief John Pistole said on Monday that he disregarded internal advice to the contrary and decided not tell the public in advance about aggressive new screening and pat-down procedures for airline passengers, fearing terrorists could try to exploit the information.

http://nation.foxnews.com/airport-screening/2010/11/22/tsa-chief-admits-he-withheld-information-pat-downs
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #422 on: November 23, 2010, 11:33:41 AM »
The more I hear about John Pistole, the more I want to hear about him being found after an experimental concrete shoe bath in the middle of the Potomac.

He's such a highspeedlowdrag wannabe, I can't stand him.  Constantly talking about taking the TSA "to the next level."  Increasing security beyond even this invasive affront to dignity and rights at the airports, and then expanding same system randomly around the US in other transportation venues.

Makes me think of FIST checkpoints in Enemies Foreign and Domestic.

DUDE:

THIS LEVEL IS OVER THE TOP BY ABOUT 4 LEVELS.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #423 on: November 23, 2010, 11:48:04 AM »
The DHS should never have been born.  One more great Bush accomplishment.  Let's not rehab him too quickly, folks.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.

erictank

• friends
« Reply #424 on: November 23, 2010, 12:03:22 PM »
The DHS should never have been born.  One more great Bush accomplishment.  Let's not rehab him too quickly, folks.

To be fair, the Republican-controlled Congress (including the resident Democrats) fell all over thyemselves approving and funding it.  It ain't ALL on W.