Author Topic: TSA Super Thread  (Read 209597 times)

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
Re: TSA Super Thread
« Reply #425 on: November 23, 2010, 12:06:02 PM »
To be fair, the Republican-controlled Congress (including the resident Democrats) fell all over thyemselves approving and funding it.  It ain't ALL on W.

....and that shows the significant differences b/t the Republi-cons and the Demo-rats.....oh, wait....  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #426 on: November 23, 2010, 12:14:39 PM »
I have a creepy feeling that the current activities on the Korean peninsula are expressly intended to stop us talking about the TSA, and get it off the top of the Drudge page.
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

TommyGunn

• friend
  • Stuck in full auto since birth.
« Reply #427 on: November 23, 2010, 12:24:46 PM »
To be fair, the Republican-controlled Congress (including the resident Democrats) fell all over thyemselves approving and funding it.  It ain't ALL on W.

"We can't professionalize unless we federalize." ~~ Tom Daschle.

I knew when I heard that mind-numbing little bromide that we were going to get another government-imposed top-down bureaucracy and it would scr*w up our lives .....  [barf]

I don't particularly blame Shrubby, but OTOH he did nothing to dissuade anyone from imposing it on us.  =(
MOLON LABE   "Through ignorance of what is good and what is bad, the life of men is greatly perplexed." ~~ Cicero

erictank

• friends
« Reply #428 on: November 23, 2010, 01:00:17 PM »
"We can't professionalize unless we federalize." ~~ Tom Daschle.

I knew when I heard that mind-numbing little bromide that we were going to get another government-imposed top-down bureaucracy and it would scr*w up our lives .....  [barf]

I don't particularly blame Shrubby, but OTOH he did nothing to dissuade anyone from imposing it on us.  =(

Oh, agreed completely.  He COULD have stopped it, but thought it was a wunnerful idear. :mad:

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #429 on: November 23, 2010, 01:10:44 PM »
Oh, agreed completely.  He COULD have stopped it, but thought it was a wunnerful idear. :mad:

As did much of the Republican Hallelujah Choir.  Back then, Dubya could do no wrong, despite all the warnings that you didn't want to leave those wonderful toys for the next Dem to get in office...

Chris

AZRedhawk44

• friends
« Reply #430 on: November 23, 2010, 01:13:57 PM »
As did much of the Republican Hallelujah Choir.  Back then, Dubya could do no wrong, despite all the warnings that you didn't want to leave those wonderful toys for the next Dem to get in office...

^^ This plus eleventybajillion.

No one ever thinks of legislation/powers in terms of the harm they can do in the worst possible hands.

And then the worst possible hands constantly find a way to get those new powers.

And then We The People get to bear the brunt of it. :mad:
"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain - that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist."
--Lysander Spooner

I reject your authoritah!

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #431 on: November 23, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
I'm buying a kilt.

I'm taking skivvies and trousers in my carry-on but wearing a kilt traditional style for going through security.

I plan on singing "Danny Boy" as the search begins and upping my register as the search nears the nads.

There's no regulation about singing, loudly.  If they try to shut me up I'm going all 1st Amendment on them.

Yeah, the kilt thing crossed my mind, too - but I was thinking more of the feileadh mòr (great wrap) and maybe no leine (shirt).  My belt would be all that is holding that on.  Would all that wool wrapped around you count as a "coat" or "jacket" ?   :lol:

Or maybe wear just a long overcoat....?  :O  =D

Oh yeah, in the past I've noticed that a heavy knitted pullover sweater is not a "coat" but a zippered sweatshirt is  ;/

Really though, my biggest personal issue with the new scanner/grope policy is that they apparently require you to surrender all of your personal belongings.  When traveling, I always carry an extra stash of significant cash and an extra credit card somewhere deeply concealed, like in a t-shirt pocket under a regular long sleeve button/snap shirt, just in case my wallet gets stolen hundreds or thousands of miles from home.  The TSA damn sure aren't going to take that from me  :mad:  >:D
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #432 on: November 23, 2010, 01:25:02 PM »
Buy a high mpg car and get used to driving.  It's coming to trains, buses, and subways.  And, yeah, try to avoid the roadblocks.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #433 on: November 23, 2010, 02:04:25 PM »
Matt... what's your waist size.

I'll loan you one of my kilts, if you promise to get video!

34 inch waist

On second thought I might sing "Oh sweet mystery of love I've found you" in the style of Madeline Kahn in "Young Frankenstein". =)
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

Angel Eyes

• Lying dog-faced pony soldier
  • friend
  • You're not diggin'
« Reply #434 on: November 23, 2010, 02:26:46 PM »

Remember that restaurant scene from When Harry Met Sally?

A female friend of mine has threatened to reenact it when she gets the pat down.

"I make love to men daily, but in the imagination."
                         - Barack Obama

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
« Reply #435 on: November 23, 2010, 03:01:12 PM »
Roxi Copland- I'll be groped for Christmas (TSA Edition)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KucnZVKZfKQ

ETA: http://noblasters.com/post/1650102322/my-tsa-encounter - Very interesting read...Guy comes into USA from France and TSA wants him to go through Backscatter or Pat-down to get into the Airport from customs.  All he is trying to do is leave for home not catch a flight.  Stand off ensues, but he wins.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2010, 03:34:16 PM by adively »
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #436 on: November 23, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
Buy a high mpg car and get used to driving.  It's coming to trains, buses, and subways.  And, yeah, try to avoid the roadblocks.

This--I, and many others I am sure, cannot afford not to fly. I don't get PTO so it is literally cheaper for me to fly to, my friend's place in VT for the weekend than spend two days driving back and forth.
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

Gowen

• Metal smith
  • friend
    • Gemoriah.com
« Reply #437 on: November 23, 2010, 05:05:18 PM »

This--I, and many others I am sure, cannot afford not to fly. I don't get PTO so it is literally cheaper for me to fly to, my friend's place in VT for the weekend than spend two days driving back and forth.

I'm sorry, I guess you won't have a problem when some unscrupulous TSA agent puts your wife's, your kid's or your naked pictures on the internet.  We just need to take it and turn the other cheek, but that cheek is in your pants.
"That's my hat, I'm the leader!" Napoleon the Bloodhound

Gemoriah.com

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #438 on: November 23, 2010, 09:43:20 PM »
The only answer is to scan everyone and everything all the time.  If that's not an electronic version of Allah the All-Seeing I don't know what is.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

BridgeRunner

• friend
« Reply #439 on: November 24, 2010, 02:13:59 AM »
Yeah, the kilt thing crossed my mind, too - but I was thinking more of the feileadh mòr (great wrap) and maybe no leine (shirt).  My belt would be all that is holding that on.  Would all that wool wrapped around you count as a "coat" or "jacket" ?   :lol:

That could be awesome if some jackass demands you remove the belt, but a utilikilt or similar is stiff enough and tight enough over the hips, what with the sewn-down pleats that about the only way to do the testicular grope would be to reach up under.  Now we know why the gloves, I guess....

Hm, so...what do they do about women in pencil skirts or similar? 

Also--what about people with bandages?  People travel for surgery all the time.  What about "suspicious" feeling scars?  For years, if you ran your hand across my leg, it felt positively corrugated, from scars, and there people with far knottier and weirder feeling scars than mine.  Oh wow--next creepy thought:  This is America, land of the overgrown pannus.  If you've got eight inches of gut overhang, do they grope up under there?  Hope they change their gloves, before they give a yeast infection to the next person in line.  And this whole cupping the breast thing--that words for the cuties, but whole lots of women have graduated from "cup" to "softball in a tube sock"--how far up there are they gonna grope for bombs or stashes of cash? 

"Enhanced pat downs" are only useful to the extent that they can follow up on anything suspicion that turns up.  So, if sumdood is on his way home from surgery for testicular cancer, and they feel something thick taped up to the dude's groin, is that when they strip off surgical dressings to verify that it's not a bomb (or possibly a newly implanted bomb....hell, it might even be radioactive! 

Really though, my biggest personal issue with the new scanner/grope policy is that they apparently require you to surrender all of your personal belongings.  When traveling, I always carry an extra stash of significant cash and an extra credit card somewhere deeply concealed, like in a t-shirt pocket under a regular long sleeve button/snap shirt, just in case my wallet gets stolen hundreds or thousands of miles from home.  The TSA damn sure aren't going to take that from me  :mad:  >:D

Perhaps the solution is merely to grow an extremely large and deflated gut--unless they've implemented pannus inspections, maybe you could get away with tucking it up under there.  Personally, I've got a couple bras that are lined with thin but fairly stiff foam, and I could probably get some cash past an enhance pat-down--unless, along the lines  of musings above, they decide that my bras are subverting their ability to sufficiently fondle my boobs.  Wonder what happens then?

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #440 on: November 24, 2010, 03:04:05 AM »
"The secret of chipping away successfully is to continue to discuss the dynamiting of the whole damn mountain. How might that be contrived? How nice would that be? Then settle for dynamiting only half of it."
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #441 on: November 24, 2010, 08:26:20 AM »
Only 48% now support the pat-downs.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Jocassee

• Buster Scruggs Respecter
  • friends
  • "First time?"
« Reply #442 on: November 24, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »
I'm sorry, I guess you won't have a problem when some unscrupulous TSA agent puts your wife's, your kid's or your naked pictures on the internet.  We just need to take it and turn the other cheek, but that cheek is in your pants.

LOL at the cheek in pants comment.

Obviously there's no solution to this yet. But I don't believe simply circumventing the system is going to make it better. You will never get enough people to stop flying to make a difference IMO. But a small but determined majority, raising as much hell as possible whenever they are forced to endure this unconstitutional expansion of powers, might make a difference. I'm basically just waiting for a chance to fly so I can do some "direct action."
I shall not die alone, alone, but kin to all the powers,
As merry as the ancient sun and fighting like the flowers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #443 on: November 24, 2010, 10:44:09 AM »
Don't know how many of you have noticed the TV coverage of the TSA today.  What really has drawn my attention is the broadcasting of actual TSA goons conducting actual nekkid-picture scans and body-gropes.

Yes, the TV has shown the actual search procedures.  A few of them are not even putting the shadow circle around te hands as they do breasts and crotches, or over the juicy bits as they show the actual nekkid-picture scan screens.

What happened to the $11,000 fines and jail for the rest of your life if you filmed them?  [popcorn]

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #444 on: November 24, 2010, 11:26:07 AM »
Perhaps the solution is merely to grow an extremely large and deflated gut

I think that I will pass on that  [barf]

OTOH, for skinny guys like me I have often thought that one could fashion a "false gut" where you could conceal most anything.  ;)
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

P5 Guy

« Reply #445 on: November 24, 2010, 12:18:27 PM »
Remember that restaurant scene from When Harry Met Sally?

A female friend of mine has threatened to reenact it when she gets the pat down.

Can I get a Tee shirt that says, "Can I get a happy ending with my pat down?"

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #446 on: November 24, 2010, 01:38:48 PM »
Just as an example of the insanity....

Remember back when they made such a big deal about unattended luggage?

The Billings airport had no room in back for the luggage scanner machines so they set them up right out in the middle of the public area right in front of the ticket counter.  When you check in your luggage, you have to carry it back to the end of the line to run it through the conveyor instead of handing it over to the clerk.

Well, the last time (several years ago) that I flew, they were shorthanded I guess and just told us all to leave our luggage in a pile by the machine and go on through security.

WTF?  :O

So first of all, anybody else could have just grabbed a suitcase and made off right out the door to the street.  =(

Secondly, you could have a bomb in your bag and walk outside right before it detonates.  ;/

So please don't tell me that the TSA cares anything about "security".

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #447 on: November 24, 2010, 01:54:10 PM »
Just job security...
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #448 on: November 24, 2010, 03:32:48 PM »
Just job security...

Ain't that the truth...  ;/

Then there was the time (maybe even the same trip...?) when I had an uncased circuit board for an aircraft power supply module in my suitcase.  I waited around at the luggage scanner and even talked to the TSA guy before my bag went through so hopefully they wouldn't freak out and evacuate the airport or something.  He was totally okay with it before and after and didn't seem to even understand why I would think there might be an issue with it.

Soooo... let me get this straight: my laptop(s) must be carried on and run through the security gate scanner, but some weird electrical board with unknown components is fine to just load in the belly of the airplane  ???

Monkeyleg

• friend
  • Tattaglia is a pimp.
    • http://www.gunshopfinder.com
« Reply #449 on: November 24, 2010, 07:08:31 PM »
Why can't we have the Israeli's come over and show us how to do this? All we're doing is taking reactive measures: a guy tries to light his shoe, we require passengers to take off shoes; somebody gets a potentially explosive liquid on board, we restrict liquids; some guy puts an explosive in his underwear, we require searches of private parts.

To the best of my knowledge, the Israeli's do none of this to the average air traveller.