Author Topic: OpenOffice 2 help needed  (Read 3128 times)

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« on: March 23, 2005, 08:49:19 AM »
How do I turn off the dang word autocomplete thing?  Anyone?
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2005, 11:12:44 AM »
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

crt360

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2005, 02:12:07 PM »
I was just getting ready to download it.  I never tried turning autocomplete off in the previous version, so I'm not much help there.  Are there any noticeable improvements in OO2?
For entertainment purposes only.

Wildalaska

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 09:03:34 AM »
Nice Jamz, we are about to switch to open office and I guess I need to get the help manual you showed Smiley
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

jefnvk

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 09:13:58 AM »
It's prettier.  I'm not much of a 'power' user, so to me its not too different.  Except for this dang autocomplete, which I cannot figure out how to work.  It is extremely annoying.  If I type 'north', it may flash up 'northeast'  Last time, I was working on a list.  When you normallyy hit enter, it creates a new bullet.  When you hit enter with the autocomplete, it gives you the word you are typing.  The only way for me to have typed north, was to type north, put a space behine it, and then hit enter.

And I dunno why, but if they were looking to improve on Office, why did they put in the paperclip?

jefnvk

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 09:14:59 AM »
Oh, the biggie was that it doesn't save in the same format as OpenOffice 1.1

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 09:35:32 AM »
doesn't save in the same format as OpenOffice 1.1
That seems kinda dorky.

Has anyone played around with it regarding back and forth compatability with MS Office? I think 1.1 is pretty good in that regard, but still run into enough glitches that when working on work documents at home, especially presentations, I'll still often fire up the Windoze machine.
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

jefnvk

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:37:36 AM »
Reads Word and Excel fine.  Don't have Office, so I can't bounce some back and forth, but it did work on one Word document that 1.1 would never convert right.

crt360

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 04:17:16 PM »
If it reads Word better, that will be a big help for me.  I use Word in the office and OpenOffice elsewhere.  I transfer docs back and forth that have a lot of formatting which gets screwed up and takes a lot of time to fix in the final draft.
For entertainment purposes only.

Beren

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2005, 10:18:15 AM »
doesn't save in the same format as OpenOffice 1.1
OOo 2.0 uses the 'OpenDocument' format now by default.  This is an open format that all "open source" office productivity packages are moving to for enhanced compatibility.  

It'll still save and write the old formats, and it's easy to change the default file formats.

To turn off autocomplete, go to 'Tools->AutoCorrect', click on the 'Word Completion' tab, and uncheck 'enable word completion.'

Wildalaska

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2005, 10:27:32 AM »
So should I be downloading this or what?

WildnongeekAlaska
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

BryanP

• friendly hermit
  • friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2005, 10:41:51 AM »
Wildalaska,

OpenOffice is a nice product.  It isn't quite as stable or as friendly as MS Office, but it's very close and they're improving it all the time.  It also has the advantage of being free.  And not just in the sense that "hey, my buddy gave me a CD-R with MS Office 2003 on it" is free.  

The two office packages will coexist quite happily side by side on the same computer, so there's no reason not to try it out.  Open Office 2 is still in beta, but appears to work quite nicely.  If you'd prefer you can stick with 1.1.4, the final release of the 1.x series.  

OO will read MSOffice files quite easily and can save to their format as well.  I have seen one case where a spreadsheet a friend created in OO didn't work quite right in Excel without some touchup, but heck, I've seen that between multiple versions of Excel itself.

So download it.  Try it.  If you don't like it uninstall it.
"Inaccurately attributed quotes are the bane of the internet" - Abraham Lincoln

Happy Bob

• friend
OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 01:06:58 AM »
2.0 is out?

1.1.4 is out?

Cool.

Maybe I'll switch from OOo v1.1.0.    cool
WE DON'T WEAR FUR.
(We have it made into Cowboy Hats)

mons meg

OpenOffice 2 help needed
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »
The big deal for OO.o 2.0 for me was "Base", the MS Access replacement.   Looks like it will be good for "personal" level database projects, e.g. small business customer databases that don't need a back-end server.