Author Topic: Ah. The pot calling the kettle black.  (Read 2831 times)

molonlabe

Ah. The pot calling the kettle black.
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:42:13 AM »
D.A. calls Blake jury incredibly stupid
Cooley says actor guilty as sin, miserable human being

The Associated Press
Updated: 10:56 a.m. ET March 24, 2005

LOS ANGELES - District Attorney Steve Cooley says Robert Blake was guilty as sin and the jurors who acquitted him of murder were incredibly stupid.

A jury last week found the former Baretta star not guilty in the 2001 slaying of his wife, Bonny Lee Bakley, who was shot in a car outside a restaurant where the couple had dined.

Quite frankly, based on my review of the evidence, he is as guilty as sin. He is a miserable human being, Cooley said Wednesday.

Blakes attorney, M. Gerald Schwartzbach, said the district attorneys attack on the jurors was inappropriate and small-minded.

Juror Chuck Safko said: To hear him say we arent a smart jury is sour grapes. They didnt have a good case. Their case was built around witnesses who werent truthful.

© 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/7284990/
The United States Constitution
? 1791. All Rights Reserved.

Jason

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 07:01:03 AM »
Why is it that after a person is aquitted of a crime, a DA can run around slandering them?  If I were Blake, I'd sue.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 07:08:29 AM »
That's what I was thinking Atc.  Sounds like slander to me.  Not only for Blake, but for the Jurors as well.  

Chris

Jason

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 07:48:24 AM »
By the way, I've finally gotten a Mountain bike, Jamis Dakar Sport, upgrading the rear shock though.  Now it just needs to dry out so I can ride!

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 08:14:09 AM »
Cool.  I need to get out on mine this year.  We recently got a Burley to drag my daughter around in, so maybe it'll happen.

Chris

Wildalaska

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 09:02:13 AM »
Someone needs to complain to the California Bar about him for ethics violation
I'm just a condescending, supercilious,  pompous ass .But then again, my opinion is as irrelevant as yours, and keep in mind kids, it's only the internet! If I bug ya that much, ignore me. Anyway, need something? Call me at 800/992-4570.
?If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers?

http://www.hyperarts.com/pynchon/gravity/index.html

http://www.therealwildalaska.com/blog/

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 09:02:40 AM »
Back on point.

Cooleys statement was a rather nasty bit of political grandstanding. The Los Angeles District Attorneys office does not have a particularly solid track record these days.  Why?  Because they blew a couple of high profile cases?  I am quite certain that most of the folks in the D. A.s office are quite good.  

Unfortunately, we do not hear about Joe and Jane Crook who get put away for a decent long time.  

On the other hand, blowing high profile cases can be a bit embarrassing.  

Blaming the jurors is far too much of a cheap out.  Yap, Yap, Yap.  Simpson, race, pay-back, Yada Yada Yada.  Try reading Vincent Bugliosis book, Outrage, which was a scathing criticism of the L.A. D.A.s office and how they handled the trial of O.J. Simpson.  You might get a different opinion.

Blake?  Who knows?  Id have to, at the very least, read through the trial transcript in its entirety to make any kind of determination.  I have long since dismissed the popular media as a way to obtain facts.  I prefer to judge for myself.  Since I did not witness the trial in its entirety, I cannot rightly say.

If I were Cooley, I would make certain that I had the best attorneys I could get (and pay them competitively).  And, again to Cooley.  If you do not want stupid jurors, stop making jury duty so painful and filled with your silly bureaucracy that only stupid people want to serve.  

Ive been called for jury duty in Los Angeles Superior Court.  I hope never to be called again.
To the stars!

Leatherneck

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2005, 10:50:24 AM »
"LOS ANGELES - District Attorney Steve Cooley says Robert Blake was guilty as sin and the jurors who acquitted him of murder were incredibly stupid."

Dude. The idea is that after you help select them, then YOU get to try to convince them by presenting your case. get it? CONVINCE THEM.

He sounds like the Democrats after the election. Get a life.

TC
TC
RT Refugee

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2005, 12:24:51 PM »
I heard the actual min-DA who tried the case is 48 - 1 in murder cases.  This is her first loss.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

crt360

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 04:10:13 PM »
After such a comment, it doesn't seem to be in the best interest of the state to have Cooley handling any jury trials in the near future.  I can just hear potential jurors during voir dire break asking each other, "Isn't he the guy that calls jurors stupid?"  Or, not that they would necessarily want to, how about the defense asking the jury pool whether they could be impartial in light of the DA's view of jurors?  It might take a long time to seat a jury or be an easy way to get a trial moved.
For entertainment purposes only.

armedcitizen

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 10:39:14 AM »
Memo to DA:  before you bring charges, HAVE A CASE!!

TarpleyG

• friend
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2005, 02:44:35 PM »
The only reason the jury found him not guilty was because they had instructions to do that so the kalifornia guvmint wouldn't have to worry about an uprising of washed-up short white guys!  Don't you all pay attention?

Greg

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2005, 03:09:05 PM »
Yeah, I don't blame the jury if the case wasn't solid. And I fear that the Jackson case will go the same way. Though  it's as blatantly obvious the guy is a freak, as ahh...the nose on his face. And I am sure he's guilty as sin I'd probably let him go too simply because they aren't going to prove beyond a reasonable doubt he is guilty of the crimes they charge him for.