Author Topic: Great Moments in Public Education  (Read 1731 times)

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Great Moments in Public Education
« on: March 24, 2005, 08:57:13 AM »
I tore this from the WSJ's Best of the Web

Great Moments in Public Education  http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/292646p-250502c.html

"A Bronx teacher who repeatedly flunked his state certification exam paid a formerly homeless man with a developmental disorder $2 to take the test for him," New York's Daily News reports:

The illegal stand-in--who looks nothing like teacher Wayne Brightly--not only passed the high-stakes test, he scored so much better than the teacher had previously that the state knew something was wrong, officials said. . . .

Brightly, 38, a teacher at one of the city's worst schools, Middle School 142, allegedly concocted the plot to swap identities with Leitner last summer. If he failed the state exam again, Brightly risked losing his $59,000-a-year job.
The News notes that the test has a 95% pass rate, which makes the inaptly named Brightly's repeated flunking--and the school system's failure to fire him long ago for incompetence--all the more appalling.  

And my State Senator wonders why I support education vouchers and not the current Government Education Monopoly?
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Pb

• friend
Great Moments in Public Education
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 12:08:53 PM »
Wow... I am mostly impressed at how high the salary is.  I would like to say that some schools are good.  My high school was quite good (one of the best in my state) and I had some excellent teachers that prepared me well for college.