Author Topic: Music thread  (Read 7893 times)

Music thread
« on: March 24, 2005, 06:00:22 PM »
Hasn't been one for a while. I'm hooked on Mindy Smith's version of Jolene right now..what's new in your collection?

50 Shooter

Music thread
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2005, 06:06:24 PM »
Waiting for the new NIN CD to be released. Other then that there really hasn't been much of any really good Rock, Alt, Ind or Metal put out in a long time.

I'm having withdrawls, I think I need to go to OzzFest this year.

Chas

Music thread
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2005, 06:29:28 PM »
Nothing new in my collection since I spend most of my music time changing stations. I haven't found much music I feel a need to purchase. May be because I listen to a WIDE variety of music depending on the activity. If I'm writing at work it's classical. If I'm actually working it's rock, new and classic. If I'm woking on my Scout or out dancing it's country. Drinking on Sunday afternoon it's Reggae. Not much music I don't like, rap of course isn't even fit to be called poetry in my book. Hope I don't offend anyone... Wink  I have started recording my sons CD's though. Some of the new stuff ain't half bad!
Chuck
Ignorance is curable, stupidity is forever...

Music thread
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2005, 06:35:13 PM »
Pink Floyd...

Only tape in the truck at the moment. *grin*

Have to find another Allman Bros, Bob Seger, and ZZ Top tape for the truck...Hey I am old, drive an old truck with a cassette deck.

One thing for sure - cassettes take up less room than the 8 tracks did. *smirk*

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
Music thread
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2005, 07:50:47 PM »
I've been trying to get some Ozark Mountain Daredevils here lately...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Sindawe

• friend
  • Vashneesht
Music thread
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2005, 08:33:40 PM »
When you dream there are no rules,
people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes there is a moment as you are awakening
when you become aware of the real world around you,
but you are still dreaming.
You may think you can fly but you do better not try.
People can fly.
I just added a copy of Astral Projection's Trust In Trance 3 to my collection, along with Sad Wings of Destiny from Judas Priest.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do.

duck hunt

• http://www.annesoffee.com
Music thread
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2005, 09:31:26 PM »
I haven't made any new purchases lately, but since watching a lot of metal retrospectives on VH1 this week I pulled out "Use Your Illusion I&II" by Guns N' Roses tonight.  I stood in line at midnight to buy that one.  Still good.

Antibubba

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 01:48:50 AM »
I work nights, alone, and I've been streaming WOXY, the very first "Alternative" Rock station.  I grew up on the fringe of it's broadcast range.  New stuff I like are The Kills, MIA, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Lucinda Williams.  And I can't wait to hear all of "Has Been", William Shatner's newest album.   I'm LMAO from what I've heard so far.

www.woxy.com
If life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

garyk/nm

• friend
  • shovelbum
Music thread
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2005, 03:47:10 AM »
I'm a sucker for a well-played guitar (Clapton, Santana, Buddy Guy, Joe Walsh, etc) or a really good singing voice (Jewel, Sarah Maclachlan, Leann Rimes, etc), not that yodeling that seems to pass for vocals lately.

SpookyPistolero

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2005, 04:07:47 AM »
Listening to "Time" from Pink Floyd now. So good....

Just got a Rage Against the Machine CD and a Massive Attack cd not long ago.
"She could not have reached this white serenity except as the sum of all the colors, of all the violence she had known." - The Fountainhead
"Smoke your pipe and be silent; there's only wind and smoke in the world"  - Irish Proverb

JAlexander

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2005, 04:47:53 AM »
Let's see...  The last five arists/bands that I listened to, in no particular order:

Drive By Truckers
Willie Nelson
Richard Buckner
Lightnin' Hopkins
Charlie Robison

It's a fairly representative sample, actually.

James

Brrlgrrl

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2005, 06:43:03 AM »
Gene Krupa and Anita O'Day
Glenn Miller and Airmen of Note
Count Basie and Billy Eckstine Inc.
I'm a little behind the times........

grampster

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2005, 06:53:03 AM »
Got a taste for Little Feat the other day.  Waiting for Columbus CD.  Been listening to "Willin'" a bit.  Also cable had "The Last Waltz" (the movie) by The Band on the other night.  Hooked up swmbo's Wave Machine to the TV and cranked it up to about 99.  I played the best air guitar in years that night.  Yah mamma, I still got it!

PS:  Thanks Barbara, I just put in the Little Feat CD again and am listening right now to "Fatman in the Bathtub"  Ahhhhhh  "Oh Atlanta" just started.  See later.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

onions!

Music thread
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 08:27:02 AM »
Got another copy of"Live @ Budokhan":)

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
Music thread
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2005, 08:35:17 AM »
newest CD?  My cousin's husband's band from Pheonix, Just-n-Time bluegrass band.  http://www.justntimebluegrass.com/

Gotta support family I guess.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

Penman

Music thread
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2005, 12:07:22 PM »
Just bought Kaki King's first CD

Enjoy Rosanne Cash's "Rules of Travel"

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
Music thread
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2005, 03:16:18 PM »
Artie Shaw and Fats Waller.

Also behind the times and loving it.
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

RocketMan

• Mad Rocket Scientist
  • friend
  • Semper Fidelis
Music thread
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2005, 05:10:54 PM »
Rusty Wier, "I Stood Up", out of Austin, TX
If there really was intelligent life on other planets, we'd be sending them foreign aid.

Conservatives see George Orwell's "1984" as a cautionary tale.  Progressives view it as a "how to" manual.

My wife often says to me, "You are evil and must be destroyed." She may be right.

Liberals believe one should never let reason, logic and facts get in the way of a good emotional argument.

Gewehr98

• friend
  • Yee-haa!
    • Neural Misfires (Blog)
Music thread
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2005, 05:17:03 PM »
Hell if I know what it is I'm listening to...

But it's XM radio, and it's pretty darned good.  I have to push the little display button to get the name of the group and the song.  Wink
"Bother", said Pooh, as he chambered another round...

http://neuralmisfires.blogspot.com

"Never squat with your spurs on!"

DigMe

Music thread
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2005, 08:39:23 PM »
I've really gotten hooked on this band Wovenhand lately as well as another band with the same main guy, 16 Horsepower.  Both feature David Eugene Edwards and I've heard their style called "Appalachian gothic" or "southern gothic."  All I know is I'm loving it...it's incredible music with great lyrics as well.  Kind of dark acoustic folk with bluegrass, celtic and other americana influences.  16 horsepower has more overt rock influences  and wovenhand is mostly straight acoustic.

Here's a couple of (legal) free mp3 from Wovenhand:
Sparrow Falls
White Bird

For a 16 Horsepower song go to this page and stream or download:
16 Horsepower at Epitonic.com
and if you have a cdnow/amazon account you can download a free mp3 from them here as well.  

I'm also really digging what I'm hearing of this Austin band called The Murder Mystery but I can't track down any CDs.  Apparently they only sell them at shows.  Here are a couple of mp3s:

Tom Waits fans might appreciate this first one, Paint the Town
The Reason Why

I've also been digging some stuff from this group The Shivers but they're kind of hit or miss:
Beauty

Of course I always dig Tom Waits, Soul Junk, Medeski Martin and Wood, King Crimson, etc...

I really do listen to a large variety of music but lately I've been on this kind of melancholy acoustic type thing.  

brad cook

Fjolnirsson

• friends
  • The Anti-Claus
Music thread
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2005, 08:56:17 PM »
Well, the most recent thing I've heard that made me prick up my ears is Shooter Jennings, son of Waylon Jennings. He looks and sounds just like his dad did, early on. It's actually a little creepy.
Hi.

TNGO

Music thread
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2005, 11:36:06 PM »
New in my collection:

Lyle Lovett/My Baby Don't Tolerate
Steve Morse Band/The Introduction
Robert Plant/Fate Of Nations
Joe Satriani/The Extremist
They Might Be Giants/Flood
Joe Williams/Every DayThe Best Of The Verve Years

DigMe

Music thread
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2005, 07:32:43 AM »
Oh also I just ordered The Eels - "Shootenanny!"  I love what h'e's been doing on his last couple of albums.  Especially "Souljacker"...excellent CD.  I made sure to play "Fresh Feeling" off that album at my wedding reception.

brad cook

armedcitizen

Music thread
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2005, 07:53:38 AM »
Been listening to a lot of Robert Earl Keen lately.  Just bought his Live in Austin cd but I've pulled everything else off of the shelf and put it in the truck so I've been listening to all of them.

spinr

Music thread
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2005, 02:16:31 PM »
I'm eagerly awaithing the new Audioslave album; really like the last one and I hope the new one is as good.  Haven't bought anything new in quite a while.  As of late I've been going through some old Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, etc. and burning compilations of my favorite songs to CD & MP3.

Wink