Author Topic: Music thread  (Read 7896 times)

wasrjoe

Music thread
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2005, 02:40:37 PM »
Waiting for NiNs new CD. Hopefully I'll get to see them in concert. Just have to Ebay some tickets for around 200 dollars. *sigh* Currently trying to add a lot of blues to the collection. However, it seems blues has just as much stale and repetitive crap as any other genre. A bit of jazz has been trickling onto my iPod, too... I love John Zorn.
Disenchanted with the Libertarian party and seeking practical ways to promote personal liberty.

...has left the building.

Music thread
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2005, 04:27:45 PM »
The last CD I bought was Rob Zombie's "Past, Present, & Future".

Right now I'm listening to the song "Monster" by Full Devil Jacket. Interestingly enough, the lead singer actually converted to being a hardcore Christian. His new band is called "Day of Fire". I really enjoy seeing both sides of his expression and experience.

DigMe

Music thread
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2005, 05:03:07 PM »
Quote from: garyk/nm
or a really good singing voice (Jewel, Sarah Maclachlan, Leann Rimes, etc), not that yodeling that seems to pass for vocals lately.
That's funny that you say that because Jewel has a very yodelly voice (I like it though personally!) and is, in fact, a very good yodeller.  I kid you not.

Personally I can't imagine myself ever thinking that Leann Rimes has a good voice.  It's such a strange voice that seems almost like some kind of low falsetto or something...it sounds like she does something weird with her throat.  Then again you'd probably laugh at some of my favorite female singers...good thing music is subjective!

brad cook

Chris Rhines

Music thread
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2005, 06:21:14 PM »
Listening to old King's X CDs and Irish folk music lately.  

- Chris

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Music thread
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2005, 07:22:50 PM »
New?

Marshall Tucker
Allman Bros
Waylon Jennings
and of course, more Dire Straits
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

HForrest

Music thread
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2005, 08:01:11 PM »
I download off of BuyMusic.
I like most sub-genres of Classic Rock. Favorites are: Allman Brothers Band, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zepellin, Fleetwood Mac- plus many more.

DigMe

Music thread
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2005, 04:52:44 AM »
Quote from: Chris Rhines
Listening to old King's X CDs and Irish folk music lately.  

- Chris
I can always listen to Dog Man.  It's got just the right amount of dark edginess, groove and harmony.  I love that album but I've never been able to really get into their earlier stuff.

brad cook

griz

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2005, 05:39:05 AM »
Timely thread. I just started buying one song at a time and found out what I liked that way. Like Grampster my last was Spanish Moon from Waiting For Col. I have the record version of that but no CD. (Yes some records do exist outside of museums) Other than that I got some Taj Mahal, Cheryl Wheeler, assorted bluegrass, a couple from Wet Willie, and one from Sly & the Family Stone.
Sent from a stone age computer via an ordinary keyboard.

Preacherman

Music thread
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2005, 08:26:11 AM »
Recently I've been updating some of my rock classics with newly-released remastered versions.  Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull has re-released several of the band's classic albums, digitally remastered, with some "bonus tracks", and I'm currently listening to (and enjoying very much!) the new copies of "Songs From The Wood", "Heavy Horses", "Stormwatch", and "Minstrel In The Gallery".  Highly recommended.
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Music thread
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2005, 08:51:30 AM »
Just borrowed a few CD's from a friend of mine.  Wumpscut : Music for a Slaughtering Tribe, Imperative Reaction : Ruined, KMFDM : Attak, couple others.  All good Industrial music.  

For you non-Industrial listeners, think of the music as your classic 'techno' on PCP.

I also got another Loreena Mckennitt CD.   If you like Enya ish music, buy some of Mckennitt's music.  It's much better.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

Lennyjoe

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2005, 09:17:35 AM »
Last weekend they played Redneck rock on 96.1 here in Tucson.  It was a Southern Rock marathon and as the dj's said "music that all trailer parks can agree on".  I rocked out to that station the whole weekend.  Good stuff.

My personal preference is hard rock.  Metallica, Ozzy, Slip Knot, Linkin Park and so on.

Music thread
« Reply #36 on: May 29, 2005, 04:21:32 AM »
Just downloaded the Wovenhand, Dig me. Good stuff!

Other than that..Alison Krauss today.

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
Music thread
« Reply #37 on: May 29, 2005, 06:51:15 AM »
OK, so I've moved on from Dire Straits to some Mark Knopfler.

And I just hit up a Lynyrd Skynyrd and Cheap Trick concert the other night.
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Paddy

Music thread
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2005, 08:24:03 AM »
I usually just listen to country music on the radio, or Celtic music on the internet.  Last week we went to a Coast Guard band concert at the Performing Arts Center in San Luis Obispo. http://www.pacslo.org/

It was awesome!

Scix

Music thread
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2005, 11:50:19 AM »
www.islandrecords.com/thrice/" target="_blank">Thrice!  I picked up Illusion of Safety recently and it's been monopolizing my CD player.

They've reworked their site recently and I don't think there are any samples available right now, so here's a retailer's demo:
http://www.downloadpunk.com/?webaction=website.Albumdetail&albumid=102

I'd call Thrice "Heavy Punk", though others may label it differently.

-Scix

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Music thread
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2005, 06:15:31 PM »
When SWMBO and I drove to Amarillo late in March I chunked a bunch of CD's in the Zook.  We listened to the 3 latest CD's from a Celtic band from East Texas called Beyond the Pale; we used to have them play quite a bit at the old coffeehouse.  Wunnerful stuff.  Also listened to some Ray Charles, Freddie King, Albert King, and Buddy Guy.

I gots to gets some Little Feat!

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Mulliga

Music thread
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2005, 06:49:42 PM »
Recently played...

Bach cello suites for unaccompanied cello.
Komeda - "What makes it go?"
Yoko Kanno - "Wolf's Rain OST 2"

Last month I was on a metal binge, though. Smiley

Modifiedbrowning

• friend
  • Best Avatar on APS
Music thread
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2005, 09:44:17 PM »
My most recent purchase was Mike Ness (lead singer for Social Distortion) "Under the Influences". It is an album of cover songs, most of which I had never heard before, except for "I Fought the Law". His other solo album "Cheating at Solitaire" is excellent as well. It includes covers of  Johnny Cash's "Long Black Veil", Hank Williams' "You Win Again" and Bob Dylan's "Don't Think Twice". Highly recommended.
Give Peace a Chance,
Kill all Terrorists.

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
Music thread
« Reply #43 on: May 30, 2005, 05:33:15 PM »
new nin is pretty good.

Right now i'm most intrigued by this canadian called "Bit Shifter"
http://www.bitshifter.cc

Psy-trance made solely by the synthesizer of a GameBoy (classic).

Here's a sample:
http://www.bitshifter.cc/audio/bit_shifter_-_science_city_zero.mp3

Certainly won't appeal to most.

atek3

Music thread
« Reply #44 on: May 30, 2005, 05:49:24 PM »
Preacherman -

One of the stations have been playing the re-mastered Jethro Tull...good stuff indeed!

Also one of the stations been playing the various works of old blues classics...Robert Johnson  for instance...

Then one night, Bob Segar and the Silver Bullet Band...I'll never tire of Seger, or forget the last time I saw him live at the Pyramid in Memphis...

Corkey's Ribs, fried pies and Seger live...it don't get much better than that...

DigMe

Music thread
« Reply #45 on: May 30, 2005, 06:06:45 PM »
Quote from: Barbara
Just downloaded the Wovenhand, Dig me. Good stuff!
Glad you dig it!  If you like what you downloaded then you'll definitely like the album Consider the Birds.  It's just incredible, IMO.  Also, you'd probably really like the 16 Horsepower album called "Folklore."

brad cook

grampster

• friend
Music thread
« Reply #46 on: May 30, 2005, 06:36:34 PM »
SM,

Saw Segar when he pulled his yacht into Charlevoix's Round Lake a couple years ago.
Oy...Rock n Roll been 'berry 'berry good to him.  I love his tunes as well.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
Music thread
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2005, 06:40:10 PM »
I managed to get my hands on Wumpscut's "Evoke" album before it was released.  Ditto VNV Nation's "Matter+Form".   VNV Nation's new CD is a bit of a disappoint.  Futureperfekt was much better.   Wumpscut is still excellent.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.