Author Topic: Where do you buy your kerosene and lamp oil?  (Read 18612 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Re: Where do you buy your kerosene and lamp oil?
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2011, 09:03:55 PM »
That'd be awesome Rev, thank you. :) I want some for practical preps, and some for decoration/romantic lighting other than candles.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2011, 09:31:46 PM »
Kerosene is sold at pumps at some gas stations.  Good luck, they're around but tricky to find.

If you want lamps, let me know.  I'm in Amish country.  Places around here stock them all the time because a lot of people use them on a daily basis.  Best place is an awesome hardware store in the middle of nowhere.  Swear, they have everything you need.  Before you know you need it.  No exceptions thus far.  And yep, they stock ammo too.

I can take some pics for you if you're interested?

I am interested in the kerosene lanterns.  Somehow, I have more fiath in the Amish HW store that caters to folk who use them every night over Amazon, which places them in the toy section.

For power outages and parties in the back yard.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2011, 09:59:04 PM »
That'd be awesome Rev, thank you. :) I want some for practical preps, and some for decoration/romantic lighting other than candles.
I am interested in the kerosene lanterns.  Somehow, I have more fiath in the Amish HW store that caters to folk who use them every night over Amazon, which places them in the toy section.

For power outages and parties in the back yard.

Alright, I'll try to snag photos and prices tomorrow after work.  It's literally on the way to and from work.
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2011, 05:27:31 AM »
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSzIfWy0lMd33PgqmD1c4QDXaKgyA6ELtQzUeceMCli8dwrODer

i use ones like this  screw em to wall high enough kids can't knock em off. but low enough the 4 foot high one can reach the knob to turn it up and down. i can leave it lit turned way down as a night light and they burn a long time.  not bright enough to read by but plenty bright enough for a power failure back up
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

PTK

• friends
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2011, 10:30:30 AM »
For what it's worth, Lehman's (the store I recommended) is a major supplier to the Amish in Ohio. It's why I use them - I used to live there, and asked where people bought their goods from. :)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2011, 02:28:27 PM »
If you're serious about kerosene lanterns, maybe look for Aladdin brand -- the kind that has a gas mantle like a Coleman lantern.  You'll get more light and ought to get less smoke and stink.
"It's good, though..."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2011, 02:56:10 PM »
Yes, but Aladdin lamps are $150+, last I looked. Worth EVERY single penny.

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »
For what it's worth, Lehman's (the store I recommended) is a major supplier to the Amish in Ohio. It's why I use them - I used to live there, and asked where people bought their goods from. :)

http://www.lehmans.com I presume?
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

PTK

• friends
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21:31 PM »
Looks right. :)

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2011, 01:09:06 PM »
hmm, post got nuked. so since most of what i had typed has been covered all ready.

i'll just add, walmart has the jugs of K1, there with the space heaters. [popcorn]

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
http://revdisk.org/photos/hardware/
https://s3.amazonaws.com/revdisk/HardwareStore.zip

There ya go.  Plus a blurry picture of bins of spare parts
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:35:02 PM by RevDisk »
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2011, 05:35:30 PM »
PRICEY. The lamp on the left in this image, http://revdisk.org/photos/hardware/IMG00858-20110222-1759.jpg, is $4.88 at the WalMart here. At the price shown, it's worth buying elsewhere...

Other items seem to be priced comparably to both WalMart and Lehman's. :)

Price/value, my favorite is http://www.lehmans.com/store/Lamps_Lights___Oil_Lamps___Table_Lamps___Old_Style_Table_Oil_Lamp___1050115?Args=

Without a doubt, it's bright, has a large reservoir, and has a nice wide chimney for efficient, bright burning.  =)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2011, 05:40:23 PM by PTK »

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2011, 06:59:22 PM »
http://revdisk.org/photos/hardware/
https://s3.amazonaws.com/revdisk/HardwareStore.zip

There ya go.  Plus a blurry picture of bins of spare parts

You rock.

My company firewall gives me a squawk at your site, but lets me through, the fool.
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 07:19:19 PM »
with kids the less glass the better for me
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

roo_ster

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 07:27:42 PM »
with kids the less glass the better for me

Yep.

I think I will run with those Dietz brand lanterns from Lehmans.  One of the Jupiters, that will run 3 days straight, and a couple hurricane lanterns. 
Regards,

roo_ster

----G.K. Chesterton

• friends
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 07:33:53 PM »
i've really liked mine  i only use the real pure oil in the lamps  almost no smell and the go a long time

these guys
http://www.bgreeneffects.com/Coppershop1.htm
do some nice candle lamps  but the also do a multiwick lantern/chandelier that burns over a 100 hours but you lift it with a pulley.  gives a boatload of light, it was 1500 bucks last i checked :O

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2011, 08:09:20 PM »
we buy Kerosene at the feed store-much cheaper then lowes
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

PTK

• friends
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2011, 09:08:22 PM »
Yep.

I think I will run with those Dietz brand lanterns from Lehmans.  One of the Jupiters, that will run 3 days straight, and a couple hurricane lanterns. 

I really like the Dietz red lanterns that were made for firehouses. One tank goes for about 36 hours, and they're REALLY hard to tip over.

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
I really like the Dietz red lanterns that were made for firehouses. One tank goes for about 36 hours, and they're REALLY hard to tip over.
Wouldn't that be embarrassing if the firehouse burned down.  ;/
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 01:42:37 PM by zxcvbob »
"It's good, though..."

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2011, 01:16:50 PM »
something else i had typed up i'll try to redo. didn't make as much sense this time, oh well. :facepalm:

if you have a grill lighter, the stick thing. you can light a lamp(not a mantle lamp globe to tall) with the globe installed, you run the wick up about a half an inch. then stick the stick lighter down the globe and light the corner and quickly run the wick back down. :laugh: cuts down on the soot, other option is to have the wick as low as it'll light, light it put the globe back on and turn it up. nowhere near as much fun though. [popcorn]

don't do this in front of the kids, really easy to knock the lamp over if your not stable. [tinfoil]

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2011, 05:39:04 PM »
What say you people? Local resale shop that is an SPCA fundraiser has two Coleman white gas lanterns sitting there for $12 apiece. I tried to get them off of the price, but they give you a for teh puppiez guilt trip. Globes good, all parts there, probably need to rebuild at least one pump. Older looking, not sure what models. I'm thinking of getting them, already have two, propane and white gas, but more is better I think. I grew up with lots of oil lamps, don't remember what kinds.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

sanglant

• friend
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2011, 01:29:29 PM »
doesn't walmart still sell them?

looks like a good deal, if there in good shape.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-2-Mantle-Dual-Fuel-Lantern/9870601

something like these are handier if you don't mind batteries.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Dorcy-360-Degree-Twin-Globe-LED-Lantern/10340633

remember to be careful not to drop one, they don't like that. :facepalm: i lost a nice white gas backpacking lantern that way. =|

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2011, 01:38:25 PM »
$12 each?  Buy them!

Chris

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2011, 03:07:08 PM »
I buy, now I find pump parts. One is 1960s and is quite nice except for a little rust on the unpainted steel at the bottom of the illumination chamber.  The other is early 80s and is fine, cosmetic dent in the tank. Got it to pressurize, something plugged in the generator. But I have tools and pressurized flammable liquids. Nothing I shouldn't be able to handle.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

• friends
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2011, 03:31:13 PM »
But I have tools and pressurized flammable liquids.

we need video