Author Topic: Where do you buy your kerosene and lamp oil?  (Read 18610 times)

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
Where do you buy your kerosene and lamp oil?
« on: February 21, 2011, 02:26:57 AM »
Finally getting around to doing a bit more prepping, and thinking of getting a lantern or two to supplement the candles if the power goes out. Then I realized I have no idea where kerosene is sold. Walmart? Feed store?
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
Re: Where do you buy your kerosene and lamp oil?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2011, 02:30:48 AM »
depends on where i use it  i have some real high dollar stuff for lamps in the house  lessor stuff for heaters
buy k 1 or better and remember it can be used in lieu of diesel
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

PTK

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2011, 02:43:46 AM »
Walmart carries it. I also use better "lamp oil" - less smell than kerosene. Walmart for lamps, Home Depot for 5 gallon cans of K1.
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

geronimotwo

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 09:42:36 AM »
one of our three local gas stations sells K1 from the pump.  bring your own container.  not sure of the current price, but it is less than diesel fuel.
make the world idiot proof.....and you will have a world full of idiots. -g2

CSM Kersh

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2011, 10:14:15 AM »

Karosene, aka coal oil, is what we used for heating, cooking and lights growing up.  House trailers of the late 1930s and 40s didn't have propane.  Even if we had electric hook up for lights, we still had to use coal oil for cooking and heating.  I've used in a scrape in place of antifreeeze in my old Ford.  At a dime a gallon it was far less expensive.
Sam A. Kersh
NRA Patron
csmkersh@thegunnerslair.com
My Web Page
When Seconds count the police are only minutes away.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2011, 10:16:37 AM »
I have a kerosene cooker I far prefer to cooking with my electric range top. So, at least some of us still use it for cooking. :)

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:46:27 AM »
They sell it at the pump at Fleet Farm, and at a couple of Co-op gas stations around town.  Untaxed K1 without red dye (not legal for street use, but without the dye they couldn't detect it.)  It currently costs just under $4 per gallon; about the same as diesel.
"It's good, though..."

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 01:10:08 PM »
I had a kerosene lamp for a while, got rid of the sooty booger and got into Coleman lamps.
Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

PTK

• friends
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2011, 01:59:06 PM »
I had a kerosene lamp for a while, got rid of the sooty booger and got into Coleman lamps.

Sooty means you were doing it wrong - period.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2011, 02:38:54 PM »
Sooty means you were doing it wrong - period.

I was doing it right, just sooty at start up.

Uranus is a gas giant.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 02:56:06 PM »
Sooty at startup means something is wrong, honestly. From the point I light my lamps to the point the glass chimney goes back on, there is no soot at all.

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 03:03:40 PM »
Sooty at startup means something is wrong, honestly. From the point I light my lamps to the point the glass chimney goes back on, there is no soot at all.

Perhaps but I like my white gas or dual fuel lanterns and stoves better. Seems to be brighter and I get more BTU with white gas than kerosene.

Uranus is a gas giant.

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 03:06:06 PM »
Doesn't kerosene store better though?

If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 03:17:13 PM »
Perhaps but I like my white gas or dual fuel lanterns and stoves better. Seems to be brighter and I get more BTU with white gas than kerosene.

Kerosene contains ~135,000 BTU/gallon. From what I could find, white gas has ~125,000 BTU/gallon, so about 8% less per gallon.

BTU aside, I pay ~$3.25/gal for K1. How much is your white gas? I believe that any perceived increase in BTU per given amount is FAR outweighed by the cost of other fuels versus kerosene.

EDIT: Balog, before I forget, don't buy cheap Chinese laterns from Amazon or Walmart. Go for lamp-style kerosene lamps (glass base, glass chimney), or better yet order some higher quality lamps from Lehman's online store - they really do have great stuff, but the kerosene and lamp oil there are overpriced.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 03:25:40 PM by PTK »

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 04:10:59 PM »
Kerosene contains ~135,000 BTU/gallon. From what I could find, white gas has ~125,000 BTU/gallon, so about 8% less per gallon.

Okay I concede to you, master of petrochemicals. :)

Uranus is a gas giant.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2011, 04:18:03 PM »
:D

I have 6-8 hours a day of free time. I read a lot, I learn a lot. ;)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2011, 04:23:33 PM »
They sell it at the pump at Fleet Farm, and at a couple of Co-op gas stations around town.  Untaxed K1 without red dye (not legal for street use, but without the dye they couldn't detect it.)  It currently costs just under $4 per gallon; about the same as diesel.
Street use? I remember reading that the old Model T would run on kerosene, but what else? Do you actually mean "non-agricultural" use?   ???

Anyway, Home Depot is supposed to sell kerosene in both 1 gallon and 5 gallon cans . . . when I lived up in Minnesota, I found that quite a few gas stations carried it in bulk and would fill your container, charging by the gallon.

The small containers of lamp oil you find for lamps in various stores are actually kerosene, but are generally labeled "paraffin oil" (per British usage) to fool the ignorant into thinking it's something special.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

PTK

• friends
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2011, 04:56:42 PM »
HankB,

While you are correct regarding paraffin oil = kerosene, quite a few brands/types are more highly refined and simply have no odor at all when burning. It's still not worth paying $18/gallon, though! :D

zxcvbob

• friend
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2011, 04:58:51 PM »
Street use? I remember reading that the old Model T would run on kerosene, but what else? Do you actually mean "non-agricultural" use?   ???

Anyway, Home Depot is supposed to sell kerosene in both 1 gallon and 5 gallon cans . . . when I lived up in Minnesota, I found that quite a few gas stations carried it in bulk and would fill your container, charging by the gallon.

The small containers of lamp oil you find for lamps in various stores are actually kerosene, but are generally labeled "paraffin oil" (per British usage) to fool the ignorant into thinking it's something special.

No, I mean it's not legal to use it on the highway because the tax hasn't been paid.  (you can use it in any diesel)  It's sold as heating oil, but you could also use it for a farm tractor I guess.  It's cheaper at the pump than buying K1 in prepackaged 1- and 5-gallon jugs or cans like at Home Depot or Lowes.
"It's good, though..."

brimic

• friends
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
If you just need light, here's a cheaper, easier, safer alternative:
Go to Home Depot/ Menards/etc and look for solar landscaping lights. They usually cost $2-3/ea. Buy a bunch of em.
We had an overnight power outage a few weeks ago, I simply plucked a 1/2 dozen of these things from my yard and brought them in to light up rooms in the house. They seem to last about a year before the lens gets fogged up/battery dies/or they just stop working.  Bonus: they recharge AA batteries.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Balog

• friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2011, 05:43:03 PM »
EDIT: Balog, before I forget, don't buy cheap Chinese laterns from Amazon or Walmart. Go for lamp-style kerosene lamps (glass base, glass chimney), or better yet order some higher quality lamps from Lehman's online store - they really do have great stuff, but the kerosene and lamp oil there are overpriced.

Interesting, I was thinking that would be one of those designs so simple and well established the Chinese lack of quality wouldn't make a substantial difference. Hmmm...

Looks like the Lehmans stuff isn't that much more, so I'll probably just go ahead and get it.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2011, 05:59:48 PM »
You want the widest wick possible, and for a lantern, you want a Dietz. For lamps, I prefer the larger "amish table" style lamps. :)

BlueStarLizzard

• Queen of the Cislords
  • friend
  • Oh please, nobody died last time...
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 06:24:38 PM »
Around here k1 is almost four bucks a gallon or so. We get it at a pump. Some gas stations carry it, others don't.
"Okay, um, I'm lost. Uh, I'm angry, and I'm armed, so if you two have something that you need to work out --" -Malcolm Reynolds

stevelyn

• friend
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2011, 08:17:35 PM »

Put it in the freezer or set it outside on a cold night and you'll see how special it really is. It will not just gel, it'll solidify into a soft wax. Kerosene and #1 diesel even down to -60* F won't.
Be careful that the toes you step on now aren't connected to the ass you have to kiss later.

Eat Moose. Wear Wolf.

RevDisk

• friend
    • RevDisk.net
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2011, 08:56:46 PM »
Finally getting around to doing a bit more prepping, and thinking of getting a lantern or two to supplement the candles if the power goes out. Then I realized I have no idea where kerosene is sold. Walmart? Feed store?

Kerosene is sold at pumps at some gas stations.  Good luck, they're around but tricky to find.

If you want lamps, let me know.  I'm in Amish country.  Places around here stock them all the time because a lot of people use them on a daily basis.  Best place is an awesome hardware store in the middle of nowhere.  Swear, they have everything you need.  Before you know you need it.  No exceptions thus far.  And yep, they stock ammo too.

I can take some pics for you if you're interested?
"Rev, your picture is in my King James Bible, where Paul talks about "inventors of evil."  Yes, I know you'll take that as a compliment."  - Fistful, possibly highest compliment I've ever received.