Author Topic: Upgraded my Linux distro  (Read 2429 times)

enfield

• http://www.delightfulproducts.com
Upgraded my Linux distro
« on: March 25, 2005, 03:08:05 PM »
from Redhat 8.0  to Fedora Core 3.  Boy is this new package great!  No problems at all with Samba, or with my 2 networked printers.  It was a b!tch getting it to run after GRUB messed up its installation (as usual) and I had to find out how to make a boot CD, and then getting X-windows to run after the installation mis-guessed at my video card and monitor.  But it's up and running sweet!  This could be the package that gets me away from Windows forever.

Smiley
- enfield

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2005, 04:25:23 PM »
so, how's that virginity workin out for ya?

Wink

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Azrael256

• friend
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2005, 07:46:41 PM »
Pretty well, actually.

Chuck Jennings

Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2005, 10:56:59 PM »
w00t!  

Smiley

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 04:09:06 AM »
I upgraded to Fedora Core 3 a while back from Core 1.  It was a great improvement.  My only gripe is their decision to not support mpg & mp3 out of the box.

After working on my dad's XP box, I am glad I run linux at the house.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Risasi

• friend
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2005, 11:08:03 AM »
yum install xmms-mp3

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2005, 07:21:17 PM »
heee...

I contemplated fdisking XP from my new (company) laptop and installing Linux on it but since Slowtus Bloats and IBM's SameTime are things I'm compelled to run I decided against it.  

I guess I should make a run over to Dallas Laptops and see what they've got in a good used laptop that I can make more functional for my own uses.

Red Hat stuff is nice, SuSe is splendid (if you speak German) and I'm still playing with Mandrake here at the house. Since I use it at work I may load Pear and use it to run AIX on a laptop partition. AIX 5L is fully Linux interoperable. They even ship a Linux utilities disk with it.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein

Dave Markowitz

• friend
    • http://blogostuff.blogspot.com/
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 05:43:31 AM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
heee...

..., SuSe is splendid (if you speak German) ...

Regards,
Rabbit.
While I don't speak German SUSE is my favorite Linux distro and has been for a few years.  In my experience it's been the easiest to get running and keep running without something blowing up.  My desktop at home runs SUSE 9.2 Pro and I have a Dell Latitude D600 at work which dual boots XP Pro and SUSE 9.2.   The only problem I've had was with getting my Samsun ML1710 printer running.  I had to use a different PPD file (basically, the driver) b/c the default PPD file sucks.

However, I am currently posting this from my Apple G4 iBook.  Smiley

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 07:57:02 AM »
Quote from: Sylvilagus Aquaticus
heee...

I contemplated fdisking XP from my new (company) laptop and installing Linux on it but since Slowtus Bloats and IBM's SameTime are things I'm compelled to run I decided against it.  

I guess I should make a run over to Dallas Laptops and see what they've got in a good used laptop that I can make more functional for my own uses.

Red Hat stuff is nice, SuSe is splendid (if you speak German) and I'm still playing with Mandrake here at the house. Since I use it at work I may load Pear and use it to run AIX on a laptop partition. AIX 5L is fully Linux interoperable. They even ship a Linux utilities disk with it.

Regards,
Rabbit.
Well....

Domino servers can serve up IMAP & run as SMTP servers...if the mail monsters flip the right switches.  Then you can run Mozilla like a civilized man.

OR...

You can run Notus Bloats under Crossover Office...I'm not sure about Sametime.
http://www.codeweavers.com/

My company also has "standardized" Lotus email & messaging tools.  I can't believe IBM/Lotus actually finds buyers for that mess of pottage.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

Sylvilagus Aquaticus

• friend
    • http://profiles.yahoo.com/sylvilagus
Upgraded my Linux distro
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 03:58:03 PM »
IBM bought Lotus years ago so somebody would be there to write applications for OS/2, Jason.  Then OS/2 started its decade-long death rattle before IBM pulled it off life support and Lotus hasn't been feeling well since 1995, either.

I guess if you're Blue, you can do what you want since you're one of the Big Dogs.

Gee, but I like Star Office Cheesy

....excuse me while I install FreeBSD on this perfectly good Pentuim 75 I have laying around....only be 5 minutes.

Regards,
Rabbit.
To punish me for my contempt for authority, fate made me an authority myself.
Albert Einstein