Author Topic: Boberg pocket pistols  (Read 6093 times)

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
Boberg pocket pistols
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
I just came across this new pistol, designed to pack a longer barrel into a very compact pistol. Anyone heard of it? What do you think?

http://www.bobergarms.com
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 11:03:10 PM by Fistful »
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

41magsnub

• friend
  • Don't make me assume my ultimate form!
Re: Boberg pocket pistols
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 11:06:29 PM »
Never heard of it.  Looks kinda complicated.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:11:53 PM »
Looks kinda like the original Luger action, only internally instead of externally.

My feeling is to wait until it's proven technology.  There's a reason it's called "The Bleeding Edge".....
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:14:11 PM »
Been reading about it for a while, and waiting for reviews/reports. It's interesting in concept, but now that I'm in apprentice curmudgeon status, I've become a late-adopter of new tech. I'm also not enough of a gear-head to be sure some of the claimed benefits outweigh the novelty of the design. If I read positive reviews I'll eventually buy one, both for my own use and to support private firearms innovation on principle.
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

grampster

• friend
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 11:35:13 PM »
Price?
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 11:41:16 PM »
I always like to see new concepts out there, but being in California I'll probably never get to even see one in person.

Based on the videos it looks good.  I don't know what it will cost but with them being a small company and the engineering that went into it I'm guessing @1000.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 11:48:57 PM »
I want a larger version; .45 Auto with a 5" barrel.  =)

just Warren

• friend
  • My DJ name is Heavy Cream.
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 11:52:33 PM »
Baby steps, man.
Member in Good Standing of the Spontaneous Order of the Invisible Hand.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2011, 12:00:45 AM »
I like how they claim it's "the most powerful 9mm pistol."
Like their mechanism somehow increases the velocity of the rounds you load into it or something beyond any other pistol.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2011, 12:02:16 AM »
I just came across this new pistol, designed to pack a longer barrel into a very compact pistol. Anyone heard of it? What do you think?

http://www.bobergarms.com

Check Oleg's blog(s).  He's been showing pictures for quite a few months.  Not in production yet, though there's obviously a working example.
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2011, 12:03:08 AM »
Heard of them. Generally, I don't really trust tiny startup gunmakers of this type, simply because they tend to a) fail b) fail to deliver and c) fail to deliver in the qc and reliability departments.

I also don't think that that extra bit of bbl length is worth a wierd design. Honestly, I'd be looking at ammo optimized for the shorter barrels before I'd be looking at funky designs. Kinda like bullpups...but you actually get usable additional barrel length in those (even though I generally don't care for them for other reasons)

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2011, 12:13:56 AM »
Looks kinda like the original Luger action, only internally instead of externally.

My feeling is to wait until it's proven technology.  There's a reason it's called "The Bleeding Edge".....

http://www.bobergarms.com/video/boberg-xr9-patentpending-feed-1

It seems more like a Beretta 8000's short recoil operated rotating locking barrel, plus a Walther's recoil spring location (around the barrel) and then combined with the loading mechanism of a browning machine gun (draw ammo from feeding source, raise (lower in the case of the BMG), and then insert into barrel.)

Neat little combination of designs. My only alteration would be for a single action version as I've never much cared for DAO in my pocket pistols (my current PP is a Beretta M1935).

Edit: Watched the take down video of the actual pistol. The recoil spring is located down the left side of the slide, like a 10/22, rather than around the barrel as shown in the function animation.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 07:08:29 AM by kgbsquirrel »

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2011, 12:30:10 AM »
They have been vaporware for a long time and there is doubt as to if it will ever make it to production.  Arne did finally build a prototype though.  I am on their mailing list, so I have been following it for a while.  He started up the company almost two years ago, and you still cannot buy one in a store.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

Perd Hapley

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2011, 12:55:54 AM »
I like how they claim it's "the most powerful 9mm pistol."
Like their mechanism somehow increases the velocity of the rounds you load into it or something beyond any other pistol.

In a way, it does increase the velocity. The claim is that the gun produces higher velocities than other pistols of the same size. And that's the part that isn't controversial at all. The design allows a longer barrel length than with a conventional automatic of the same size, and that will certainly provide an edge in velocity. The questions are whether it is reliable, how much will it cost, is the slight increase in velocity worth the extra complication and price, etc.

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 03:30:08 AM »
Saw it on Oleg's blog a while back. Interesting, but I'm more and more a low speed high drag kinda guy. I carry a revolver and keep a SxS for social work at home.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

KD5NRH

• friends
  • I'm too sexy for you people.
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 04:00:54 AM »
I want a larger version; .45 Auto with a 5" barrel.  =)

I'd like them to take it down a notch; .32NAA.  Every bit of barrel length seems to help with the small-and-screaming-fast calibers.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2011, 06:14:09 AM »
If it's going to cost somewhere in the $1,000.00 range, why not buy a Rorbaugh which has already established itself as reliable although expensive?  http://www.rohrbaughfirearms.com/node/9?phpMyAdmin=ohYg-nCgDTLddyCqYCnbXGpet23

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2011, 09:30:10 AM »
IMHO, Fail.  The hard part to conceal in most pistols is the grip, not the barrel.  The market is getting saturated with sub compact pocket sized .380's and 9mm's under $500.  Nothing about this pistol seems superior to say the Kel Tec PF9. 
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2011, 10:40:34 AM »
Interesting design...esp. in how a strong magazine spring isn't necessary for operation. I'm a little hesitant about it in a "complexity vs. reliability" way....but I'll be watching to see how it does over a long period of time....
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

230RN

• saw it coming.
  • friend
  • ...shall not be allowed.
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2011, 11:35:21 AM »
^
"but I'll be watching to see how it does over a long period of time...."

I'm the same way.  I came "that close" to buying a .22 Jet revolver with the .22 LR inserts.

I thought it was a great concept in firearms --.22 high velocity centerfire and .22 LR capabilities int he same gun.

Then I started to hear about the problems with it.

Terry, 230RN
WHATEVER YOUR DEFINITION OF "INFRINGE " IS, YOU SHOULDN'T BE DOING IT.

CypherNinja

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2011, 07:04:27 PM »
I've been following it for quite some time, and I've had a bit of cash stashed for it for a while now.

I'll let you guys know how it works, I should be relatively near the top of the pre-order list.  =D

(I'm a design junky. I almost don't care if it's not totally reliable, I just want it cause it's awesome and I love thinking up stuff like that myself.)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 05:53:42 AM by CypherNinja »
“Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth,” Hemingway once said. Today, many of us have become rich in the currency of cowardice. We have so many things and so few experiences. We are desperate to live as long as possible, not as large as possible. We are so afraid to say goodbye to the world that we never say hello.
-Marty Beckerman (from a Wired article of all things)

HankB

• friend
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2011, 07:22:35 PM »
I know Arne Boberg - we worked together on a program or two in the past (when we worked for the same company) and he's a really sharp mechanical engineer. Haven't seen him since I left Minnesota, but it's good to see him doing this. If I were still up there I'm sure I'd be able to give a "hands on" impression, but he did all this after I moved away.

He's been working on his pistol design for quite some time, and has been very passionate about incorporating design ideas that maximize the actual delivered velocity of the pistol. His straight-line feeding system OUGHT to be exceptionally reliable - for one thing, the videos suggest the pistols won't fall prey to "limp wrist malfunctions" like so many other small guns.

I wish him well.
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain