Author Topic: Earth Hour  (Read 12923 times)

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
Earth Hour
« on: March 25, 2011, 10:12:05 AM »
Dear APS,

Earth Hour 2011 is upon us. I encourage you all to participate in this important event. I myself am looking forward to it this year more than ever. Last year I only learned about it mere hours before it started. I barely had time to turn on all the lights and appliances in my home.

http://www.earthhourus.org/main.php
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
Re: Earth Hour
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 10:21:03 AM »
It's time for this *expletive deleted*it (Earth Hour, not the protest) again?

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 11:28:35 AM »
Thanks for the heads up!  I'll have to see how much used motor oil I have for a nice big bonfire.

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Just enough time to borrow my friend's V-8 powered pickup truck to run out to the illegal tire dump and get some stuff for the bonfire/cookout tomorrow.

I'm changing all the bulbs from 100-watt to 200-watt incandescent in honor of the event.

Would breaking a bunch of those murcury-filled flourescent bulbs be over the top?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

Hey you kids!! Get off my lawn!!!

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 12:01:26 PM »
Those are all great ideas, but it seems to me that the only truly American thing to do is ignore it.  :P
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2011, 12:08:21 PM »
Those are all great ideas, but it seems to me that the only truly American thing to do is ignore it.  :P

But, by turning on all of your lights and appliances, letting your car run and having a toxic bonfire, you alone can counteract the smug caused by a dozen hippies!

You can ignore it, or you can make a difference!   :lol:

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2011, 02:48:36 PM »

It's my belief that the truely American thing to do is mock it until it dies of shame/embarassment.  America is the country of Manifest Destiny, the country that carved enough of the Earth to connect the Atlantic with the Pacific and then made a grocery store out of that feat, and aside from the indigenous inhabitants never invaded any other country unless we were attacked (assuming that you buy that "the business of America is business" thing), and the home of algore.  What else would such a country do?

stay safe.
If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege.

They keep making this eternal vigilance thing harder and harder.  Protecting the 2nd amendment is like playing PACMAN - there's no pause button so you can go to the bathroom.

PTK

• friends
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:16 PM »
It's my belief that the truely American thing to do is mock it until it dies of shame/embarassment.

:lol:
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2011, 04:51:20 PM »
i need to borrow a motor  i can only field 19 running motors and not one a v-8. i might have to un summerize the snowblower
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »

No sir. In the spirit of tolerance, we need giant signs in our lawns, wishing everyone a Happy Earth Hour. These signs should be back-lit with incandescent bulbs, and powered by large gasoline generators.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Devonai

• friend
  • Panic Mode Activated
    • Kyrie Devonai Publishing
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2011, 05:01:24 PM »
Meh, I was just trying to make a point about post-modern apathy.  I agree with the desire to fuel a bonfire with whale oil while barbecueing hamburgers with a hair dryer.
My writing blog: Kyrie Devonai Publishing

When in danger, when in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout!

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 05:03:30 PM »
I want to go rent a gigantic spotlight. You know, the kind that's on a trailer and has it's own large diesel genset.

Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

cassandra and sara's daddy

• friends
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 05:28:17 PM »
we need a floppy disk and styrofoam bonfire  with tires on top
It is much more powerful to seek Truth for one's self.  Seeing and hearing that others seem to have found it can be a motivation.  With me, I was drawn because of much error and bad judgment on my part. Confronting one's own errors and bad judgment is a very life altering situation.  Confronting the errors and bad judgment of others is usually hypocrisy.

by someone older and wiser than I

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »
we need a floppy disk and styrofoam bonfire  with tires on top
Don't forget to have the fluorescent bulb shooting contest.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

Fly320s

• friend
  • Formerly, Arthur, King of the Britons
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2011, 06:00:19 PM »
Meh, I was just trying to make a point about post-modern apathy.  I agree with the desire to fuel a bonfire with whale oil while barbecueing hamburgers with a hair dryer.
Make it pandaburgers and I'll be there!
Islamic sex dolls.  Do they blow themselves up?

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2011, 06:08:30 PM »
The generators should be fueled by burning hippys.
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

Lee

• friend
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2011, 06:37:10 PM »
Every hour is Earth hour to me....especially if I'm paying for the juice.

Ben

• Administrator
  • I'm an Extremist!
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2011, 06:44:44 PM »
Every hour is Earth hour to me....especially if I'm paying for the juice.

Exactly the point. :)

I generally don't waste power because, yeah, I'm paying the bill, waste not want not, etc., etc.

When someone gets holier than thou with me about it though, as if I can't figure things out for myself, I feel it's my duty to annoy the hell out of them. Especially when they're often the same people who traded in a perfectly good older car for a Prius, or buy tons of steel water bottles with fancy enviro sayings on them, or are otherwise engaged in "environmental consumption". :)
"I'm a foolish old man that has been drawn into a wild goose chase by a harpy in trousers and a nincompoop."

230RN

• It's like swimming to shore in an ebb tide.
  • friend
  • Pushing back. Help me out, here...
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
You suppose we could trim it down to an "Earth Minute?"  I can stretch out pissing on a bush to green it up for a full minute, but a whole hour?  No way. Not even at my age.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 09:35:13 PM by 230RN »

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2011, 09:36:04 PM »
You old people celebrate Earth Hour every day. It doesn't start til 8.30 pm, and you old folks are in bed with the lights out by then. Way to save the earf, old dudes!!
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

vaskidmark

• National Anthem Snob
  • friends
  • WTF?
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2011, 10:20:06 PM »
You suppose we could trim it down to an "Earth Minute?"  I can stretch out pissing on a bush to green it up for a full minute, but a whole hour?  No way. Not even at my age.

One word solution -  LASIX (feurosemide in the generic form).

It's been discussed before.

An hour?  Easy.

stay safe.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2011, 10:44:42 PM »
One word solution -  LASIX (feurosemide in the generic form).

It's been discussed before.

An hour?  Easy.

stay safe.

Take some Metolazone and your kidney's will suck the spit out of your mouth.  While you chew the sandpaper that used to be your tongue, it'll feel like you'll spend the rest of your life standing over the john.

While eating whale oil barbarqued pandaburgers next to a roaring styrofoam/floppydisk/motoroil/tire fire would be nice, I think the way to truly celebrate Eurf Hour this year would be to ensure that no radioactivities es-cop-aid from the Fukushima nuke plant.  It would be simple to layer hippies over it and then encapsulate the whole thing in concrete. Momma Gaia-sha will thank you.  >:D
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:51:15 PM by scout26 »
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

seeker_two

• friend
  • In short, most intelligence is false.
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2011, 10:53:07 PM »
Great....I'm just now getting the memo....and there's not a baby seal in sight......  :facepalm:
Impressed yet befogged, they grasped at his vivid leading phrases, seeing only their surface meaning, and missing the deeper current of his thought.

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2011, 11:03:48 PM »
There's still time to top off the chainsaw and cut down a small forest to make the perfect toothpick!!!!
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Declaration Day

• friends
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2011, 11:30:42 AM »
Damn, even YouTube is advertising Earth Hour. Click on the little light bulb at the top of the page. "Earth Hour- One person has the power to make change."

There's nothing at all hypocritical about the fact that Youtube thrives on technology that is 100% dependent on electricity and petrochemicals, right? The absurdity is mind-numbing......