Author Topic: A Romney / Paul Ticket ???  (Read 4983 times)

Waitone

• friend
A Romney / Paul Ticket ???
« on: February 23, 2012, 08:27:57 PM »
http://dailycaller.com/2012/02/22/rand-paul-says-it-would-be-an-honor-to-be-considered-as-veep-this-explains-a-lot/

It started with an honest, simple question and now has a life of its own.  Did Romney and Paul have a gentleman's agreement to lay off each other in view of a possible Romney / Paul ticket.  Seems the Brit papers started the question off by speculating it would be Ron Paul, then later Rand Paul said he would be honored to be considered for the ticket.  Now it is all over the US blogsphere.

Would such a ticket calm the non-elite wing of the republican party?  Time will tell.  But one has to remember Romney's brain trust said the way to win the nomination is to alienate the 40% of the electorate which is his potential base by pandering to the 20% undecided.  They just assumed the 40% would be there regardless of what Mitt and his brain trust did.  May have worked before the TEA insurrection but not after.

In any case how would a Mitt / Paul ticket strike the APS choir?
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

lee n. field

• friend
  • tinpot megalomaniac, Paulbot, hardware goon
Re: A Romney / Paul Ticket ???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012, 08:46:20 PM »
Paul would have minimal power and influence, and likely not run again (age, disease or infirmity).  He would serve the same purpose Biden does in the 0bama admin (insurance).
In thy presence is fulness of joy.
At thy right hand pleasures for evermore.

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 09:10:40 PM »
He would serve the same purpose Biden does in the 0bama admin

I don't think Paul would have near the idiotic foot in mouth comedy value that Biden does.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

grampster

• friend
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 09:11:28 PM »
If you look back, I speculated about this several weeks ago.
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

roo_ster

• Kakistocracy--It's What's For Dinner.
  • friend
  • Hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 10:41:16 PM »
Yeah, that one sure has me flustered.

Not sure whether to *expletive deleted*it or go blind, were it to turn out true and actually happen.
Regards,

roo_ster

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.”
----G.K. Chesterton

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2012, 11:00:51 PM »
Would you take Paul as your VP running mate knowing how some of his supporters are?   =D
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2012, 11:37:29 PM »
It's RAND Paul we are talking about, no?

The VP slot would be the stepping-stone to the Presidency in eight years--in normal times.  That's obviously the idea, but who among us would hazard a prediction about ANYTHING political in America in eight years? 
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 11:02:25 AM »
Whether the Romney/Paul ticket wins or loses, wouldn't this amount to Rand Paul giving Romney the ultimate endorsement? Do we really want Rand Paul to be tainted like that? Rand Paul would bring a lot of Romney RINO baggage into any future presidential bid, would he not? Especially if they win.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 11:10:14 AM »
Whether the Romney/Paul ticket wins or loses, wouldn't this amount to Rand Paul giving Romney the ultimate endorsement? Do we really want Rand Paul to be tainted like that? Rand Paul would bring a lot of Romney RINO baggage into any future presidential bid, would he not? Especially if they win.

^^ my thoughts exactly.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 11:41:51 AM »
That would make about as much sense as a George Wallace/Jesse Jackson ticket  ;/
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:57 PM »
This is just one of these crazy pre-election campaign watchers' theories. Won't happen.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

brimic

• friends
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
I'd vote for any Presidential candidate who promised to appoint Ron Paul the head of a different alphabet agency every week of his presidency- about enough time for Paul to hand out pink slips to each agency and tell them to go home.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

SADShooter

• friend
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 02:54:09 PM »
Heck, just make him Chairman of the Federal Reserve. Who'd need Netflix if they had CSPAN? [popcorn] >:D
"Ah, is there any wine so sweet and intoxicating as the tears of a hippie?"-Tamara, View From the Porch

red headed stranger

• friend
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 03:37:07 PM »
This is just one of these crazy pre-election campaign watchers' theories. Won't happen.

It feels like some folks trying to float a trial balloon. 
Those who learn from history are doomed to watch others repeat it

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 03:49:46 PM »
They want Rubio, but they can't get him.  (Yet.)
"Domari nolo."

Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 06:12:41 PM »
I think Romney and his brain trust grew a brain and figgered out they will not win the presidency by p*ssing off the conservative wing; not now with the ongoing TEA insurrection.  So now Romney is swinging conservative to get the nomination.  What better way to to shore up the base they had previously jettisoned than to bring onboard the only principled constitutionalists in public.  I think using Paul (you pick which one) is a pretty good move if you assume Paulian libertarianism appeals to the TEA insurrectionists.  I'm not convinced TEA types are willing to be identified with some of the more controversial positions of the Pauls.  I suggest Santorum may be a more acceptable VP selection to the TEA types.  From the beginning I've thought Santorum was running for VP.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

Balog

• Unrepentant race traitor
  • friends
  • What if we tried more?
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 06:52:37 PM »
Why in the world would Santorum of all people appeal to Tea Party types? Dude is more big .gov than even Romney.
Quote from: French G.
I was always pleasant, friendly and within arm's reach of a gun.

Quote from: Standing Wolf
If government is the answer, it must have been a really, really, really stupid question.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
Why in the world would Santorum of all people appeal to Tea Party types? Dude is more big .gov than even Romney.
That was then, this is now.  He's done an admirable job covering his tracks and repositioning himself.  Those new to political activism, like TEA types for instance, are not likely to pick up his new posture.  Non-elite republicans are buying a pig in a poke with Romney.  What hasn't been discussed is they are buying the same pig for VP.  It is increasingly apparent there is no substantive difference amongst the candidate with maybe, maybe Paul.  Perhaps after this election is will be evident the political class will not be able pull us out of our mess. 

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »
I'd vote for any Presidential candidate who promised to appoint Ron Paul the head of a different alphabet agency every week of his presidency- about enough time for Paul to hand out pink slips to each agency and tell them to go home.

This idea has potential.

Just for kicks, I'd like to see a Cain/Palin ticket. It would sound a lot like the '08 ticket, but not quite as faily.
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 12:13:12 PM »
Waitone nailed it.  What this election will prove, if not in November then after, that the real problem cannot be solved by changing the scorecard.
"Domari nolo."

Molon Labe.