Author Topic: APS Prediction Thread, April 2011 through April 2012  (Read 15364 times)

MicroBalrog

• friend
Re: APS Prediction Thread, April 2011 through April 2012
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:57 AM »
1. No major successes will have been made by the Congressional GOP in cutting budgets. They will compromise down from their 100-billion-dollar cut compromise.

This has occured.

2. Violent crime rates will continue to fall in the United States, and more expansions of gun rights on the state level will be seen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2006367/Was-abortions-lead-petrol-Obama-effect--Experts-baffled-violent-crime-falls-lowest-levels-1960s.html
http://www.wjfw.com/print_story.html?SKU=20110621181901
http://blogs.philadelphiaweekly.com/phillynow/2011/06/21/bill-to-expand-gun-rights-at-your-castle-headed-to-gov-corbett%E2%80%99s-desk/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=bill-to-expand-gun-rights-at-your-castle-headed-to-gov-corbett%25e2%2580%2599s-desk

5. The Putin regime in Russia will continue facing tensions within the Putin-Medvedev tandem, and it's possible one or more sides will introduce further economic liberalization, and maybe even political liberalization as a result.

Medvedev has announced further economic liberalization measures at the St. Petersburg economic forum, and intent to decentralize power. Not clear if the latter will actually take place.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

Hawkmoon

• friend
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 10:40:11 PM »
It's now summer. One wrong so far. The rest are still looking pretty good, (although I'm far less confident about the government shutting down. Apparently the results of the budget fight of the 90's has really frightened the Republicans.)

Premium gas did hit $5/gallon around here for a few weeks. It's edging back down again now, but it likely won't go below $4/gallon for premium, and regular likely won't drop lower than $3.75.
- - - - - - - - - - - - -
100% Politically Incorrect by Design

gunsmith

• I forgot to get vaccinated!
  • friend
  • I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 12:13:14 AM »

1Glen Becks Israel event gets attacked.
2Bob Dylan dies.
3National Reciprocity attached to debt ceiling bill. (gets signed by B.O to the dismay of bradies)
4gas prices drops but no one has a job so it doesn't help much.
5Taliban resurgence in Afghanistan.
6another huge terrorist attack near anniversary of 9-11 & Obama blames R's
7 President Palin gets sworn in and immediately SF & NYC has huge riots.
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2011, 12:14:46 AM »
Premium gas did hit $5/gallon around here for a few weeks. It's edging back down again now, but it likely won't go below $4/gallon for premium, and regular likely won't drop lower than $3.75.

gas was 3.63 in Reno, NV yesterday
Politicians and bureaucrats are considered productive if they swarm the populace like a plague of locust, devouring all substance in their path and leaving a swath of destruction like a firestorm. The technical term is "bipartisanship".
Rocket Man: "The need for booster shots for the immunized has always been based on the science.  Political science, not medical science."

Perd Hapley

• Superstar of the Internet
  • friend
  • My prepositions are on/in
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 12:30:09 AM »
gas was 3.63 in Reno, NV yesterday

And it's 3.42 where I live. Was makattak talking about national average, or CA price?
"Doggies are angel babies!" -- my wife

Boomhauer

• Former Moderator, fired for embezzlement and abuse of power
  • friends
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2011, 12:32:55 AM »
Gas is 3.23/gal for regular in my area today...

Highest it got was around $3.79.
Quote from: Ben
Holy hell. It's like giving a loaded gun to a chimpanzee...

Quote from: bluestarlizzard
the last thing you need is rabies. You're already angry enough as it is.

OTOH, there wouldn't be a tweeker left in Georgia...

Quote from: Balog
BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR THE SKULL THRONE! AND THROW SOME STEAK ON THE GRILL!

MillCreek

• Skippy The Wonder Dog
  • friend
  • APS Risk Manager
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2011, 08:26:28 AM »
I filled up the scooter with Chevron Premium for $ 4.16/gallon yesterday.  Regular unleaded was $ 3.92.

Quote from: Angel Eyes on August 09, 2018, 01:56:15 AM
You are one lousy risk manager.

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2011, 08:46:54 AM »
And it's 3.42 where I live. Was makattak talking about national average, or CA price?

I had thought national average would push that high, but purposely left it vague as I was counting on CA to save me in case the price increases slowed before summer.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

lupinus

• Southern Mod Trimutive Emeritus
  • friends
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2011, 04:12:14 PM »
Gas is 3.23/gal for regular in my area today...

Highest it got was around $3.79.
But the same here in the upstate. Right up the road is now 3.24.
That is all. *expletive deleted*ck you all, eat *expletive deleted*it, and die in a fire. I have considered writing here a long parting section dedicated to each poster, but I have decided, at length, against it. *expletive deleted*ck you all and Hail Satan.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2011, 04:30:33 PM »
I paid $3.74 for regular yesterday.

You would think it would be cheaper here considering this is an oil producing state and there are three refineries within 50 miles of here.  =(
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

charby

• Necromancer
  • Administrator
  • APS's Resident Sikh/Muslim
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2011, 12:04:31 AM »
This morning 1.33 CND a liter in Canada and 3.39 in Central Iowa this evening.

Yesterday it was 1.55 CND a liter at the boat dock in Minaki, Ontario, Canada.

Iowa- 88% more livable that the rest of the US

Uranus is a gas giant.

Team 444: Member# 536

PTK

• friends
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2011, 12:08:10 AM »
Today, $3.84 9/10 for 91 octane. Montana... slower to rise prices, slower to fall too. ;)
"Only lucky people grow old." - Frederick L.
September 1915 - August 2008

"If you really do have cancer "this time", then this is your own fault. Like the little boy who cried wolf."

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 04:53:22 AM »

4. More Arab regimes will fall. The Khaliphate will not come into being. Possibly, one or more Arab states will develop a fledgling democracy.

Fledgling democracy:

Check. Head of the Tunisian liberal party is now head of government.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

gunsmith

• friend
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 02:33:44 AM »
the only one I seem to have gotten right is Taliban resurgence

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #39 on: February 13, 2012, 12:34:56 AM »

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2012, 08:35:48 AM »
http://www.bloomberg.com/quote/CONSSENT:IND

Consumer confidence index.

It's not April, yet. ;) But that prediction looks to be wrong.

I was not incorrect about inflation (which is what makes me perplexed about the consumer confidence numbers) but at least give me credit for the ones I got spectacularly correct:

6. Cubs will not win the world series.
7. Lions will not win the Super Bowl.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

RoadKingLarry

• friends
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2012, 08:54:17 AM »
Some things will get worse.

Some things will get better.

We'll all get a little older. (well. most of us anyway)

So far I'm good.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen.

Samuel Adams

longeyes

• friend
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2012, 01:36:37 PM »
Try Los Angeles: regular is bouncing around $4 right now.
"Domari nolo."

Thug: What you lookin' at old man?
Walt Kowalski: Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have messed with? That's me.

Molon Labe.

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 06:31:27 AM »
Okay, this has been done before. We've given our political and economic predictions for the coming year.

2. Violent crime rates will continue to fall in the United States, and more expansions of gun rights on the state level will be seen.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/crime-in-the-u.s/2011/preliminary-annual-ucr-jan-jun-2011/data-tables/table-1

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 06:32:39 AM »
Try Los Angeles: regular is bouncing around $4 right now.

http://www.californiagasprices.com/

Over $5 in certain parts.