Author Topic: Is it normal that my mortgage has been sold to Fannie Mae?  (Read 32105 times)

zahc

• friend
Is it normal that my mortgage has been sold to Fannie Mae?
« on: April 09, 2011, 01:25:26 PM »
I just got a letter (1 month after buying my house) that my mortgage has been sold to Fannie Mae. It says that I'm still supposed to make my payments to Well's Fargo. I don't understand this very well. I thought Fannie Mae strictly meant FHA loans, which I don't have.
Maybe a rare occurence, but then you only have to get murdered once to ruin your whole day.
--Tallpine

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
Re: Is it normal that my mortgage has been sold to Fannie Mae?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2011, 02:04:23 PM »
Nope. Freddie Mac does the guvvie loans.

Perfectly normal, most loans are sold as the banks don't have the cash to carry the paper on all the loans they write.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

sumpnz

• friend
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2011, 02:23:48 PM »
I've bought 3 houses over the last 10 years.  Every single one they sold the loan before my first payment was even due.  Caused a small problem as I'd been a little too much Johnny on the Spot and sent my first payment on the first house in a couple weeks early.  I got the notice they'd sold the loan a few days after mailing the payment.  Realized a month or two later they'd cashed the check but never forwarded the payment to the new loan servicer, so I was showing a month late on all my payments with the new servicer.  Took a couple months to sort that out and get the record repaired.

mtnbkr

• friend
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 03:10:34 PM »
I refinanced my house via Wells Fargo a few months ago and our new mortgage was resold to Fannie Mae as well.

Chris

drewtam

• friend
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2011, 03:29:48 PM »
Chase has never sold my loan.
I’m not saying I invented the turtleneck. But I was the first person to realize its potential as a tactical garment. The tactical turtleneck! The… tactleneck!

never_retreat

• Head Muckety Muck
  • friend
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »
Chase has never sold my loan.
Personally I don't thinks should be able to do this. After all you do have a contract with the first lender not the others.
I needed a mod to change my signature because the concept of "family friendly" eludes me.
Just noticed that a mod changed my signature. How long ago was that?
A few months-mods

Matthew Carberry

• Formerly carebear
  • friend
  • Fiat justitia, pereat mundus
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 05:20:30 PM »
First off, the contract you sign says they will sell it. It's hardly a bait and switch.

Second, you can get a loan they won't sell but the time frame will be shorter and the rate higher.

The only thing that makes long amortizations at low rates possible us the mortgage market. No one bank has the assets to lend millions of dollars long term at such low rates of return.
"Not all unwise laws are unconstitutional laws, even where constitutional rights are potentially involved." - Eugene Volokh

"As for affecting your movement, your Rascal should be able to achieve the the same speeds no matter what holster rig you are wearing."

bedlamite

• Hold my beer and watch this!
  • friend
  • Ack! PLBTTPHBT!
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:37:53 PM »
My mortgage was with a bank that had a reputation for keeping loans in house, right up until the bank was taken over. It's been sold twice since then.
A plan is just a list of things that doesn't happen.
Is defenestration possible through the overton window?

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 05:48:43 PM »
Mine was sold at the closing.

Bank: "This is a form that states we can sell your loan.  Sign here."
Me: *signs*
Bank: "This is a form that states we have sold your loan.  Sign here."
Me:  :O That was fast!

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2011, 06:36:32 AM »
Hey, making loans that you won't carry, and therefore won't eat if they go bad....how could this possibly go wrong?
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

carmikemom

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 07:23:14 PM »
My mortgage with Wells Fargo was refi'd through the HARP program by Wells Fargo and then sold to Fannie Mae with Well Fargo remaining as the servicer.  After all of these years and Wells Fargo convincing us to go through the HARP program, we did and now they really don't have our mortgage any longer...?  Not sure I get all of the in's and out's of that.  It's sounds similar to having nonstandard insurance to me.  That's the best way for me to equate this.  Now, my mortgage is about $300 less per month and we aren't planning to move anytime soon.  Just not sure I fully realize the consequences, if any, of this action.  Our original loan was with Wells Fargo for 9 years and they kept it.  Now they've done this.  I am not really upset but feeling a little out of the loop on something that I know I should be on top of. 

Ron

• friends
  • Like a tree planted by the rivers of water
    • What I believe ...
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:11:50 PM »
My Wells Fargo mortgage was refinanced with them recently and I received the same letter about it being sold also; my original Wells Fargo mortgage was from '95.

For the invisible things of him since the creation of the world are clearly seen, being perceived through the things that are made, even his everlasting power and divinity, that they may be without excuse. Because knowing God, they didn’t glorify him as God, and didn’t give thanks, but became vain in their reasoning, and their senseless heart was darkened. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools.

Jim147

• friends
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 11:09:53 PM »
If we could only work the system like they can!

My loan was sold to a new company and then back to the original company and now it it back with the second company.

I'm glad there are only three more years to pay.

jim
Sometimes we carry more weight then we owe.
And sometimes goes on and on and on.

BAH-WEEP-GRAAAGHNAH WHEEP NI-NI BONG

Nick1911

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 12:12:15 AM »
Wow, this thread is back from the dead.  Thread necromancy!

1 year, 8 months, 8 days since last reply.  Heck, I've refi'd my house and had another psudo-closing since then.

carmikemom, in the future you might consider starting a new thread instead of posting to an significantly old one.

In response to your situation - it is very common for the debt of ones mortgage to be sold as a financial instrument to another investor.  I believe this is common practice, as mortgages - while they have significance meaning to us; truly are just loans with defined terms and are bought and sold as such in the financial industry.

Whether this practice is a good idea in the broader, worldwide economic sense is certainly up for debate, but as the loan holder I believe it has negligible impact.  In any mortgage I've heard of the original agreed upon terms are immutable regardless of who holds the debt.

I am confused why the monthly payment would have changed - you should consider calling the company servicing the debt for clarification. Perhaps there have been changes to the way in which insurance and property taxes are escrowed.

eyebrows

• friend
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 03:32:12 PM »
I'm in the process of securing a mortgage through Wells Fargo. I signed a paper just the other day that specifically said they have the right to sell my loan and then it went into the details of my loan, with each detail having a yes/no box as to whether the buyer of my loan could change that detail. All mine were checked with no.

slingshot

• friend
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
I have had several mortgages sold to other banks over the years.  Fannie Mae does not collect the money directly and it goes to Wells Fargo in this case.  If another bank buys the loan, you would be notified that the payment goes to a different bank.

Why does it bother you that Fannie Mae has the loan?  Part of the fix that is necessary for Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac is getting a folio of stable loans.

Just noticed this is a very old thread.  I would be suspicious about a $300 drop in mortgage payments and I would enquire as to the present terms and conditions of the loan.  I can check things on line and it states the payoff or when the loan matures there along with the interest rate.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:14:09 PM by slingshot »
It shall be as it was in the past... Not with dreams, but with strength and with courage... Shall a nation be molded to last. (The Plainsman, 1936)