Author Topic: NRLB shuts down new $2 billion Boeing plant in SC.  (Read 22703 times)

TechMan

• Administrator
  • Yes, your moderation has been outsourced.
NRLB shuts down new $2 billion Boeing plant in SC.
« on: May 02, 2011, 02:37:53 PM »
http://blogs.forbes.com/garyshapiro/2011/04/27/federal-government-attacks-on-boeing-fuel-our-national-economic-suicide/

Boeing spends $2 billion and 3 years building a new plant in SC to build Dreamliners.  NRLB orders Boeing to shutter the plant, because "Boeing's decision to locate it in South Carolina was in part based on a desire to avoid work stoppages and strikes, and this rationale was harmful to unions and thus an illegal act."  This would have been an additional facility to manufacture the Dreamliners.

Read blog for more information.   :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Bacon and Eggs - A day's work for a chicken; A lifetime commitment for a pig.
Stupidity will always be its own reward.
Bad decisions make good stories.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
Re: NRLB shuts down new $2 billion Boeing plant in SC.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
It doesn't matter if that company works at a profit, the members of those Unions need those jobs, and so deserve them. Besides, those greedy industrialists at Boeing can afford to hire them, they'll find a way to make it work.

[barf]

Two guesses as to what book I just finished reading.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
It doesn't matter if that company works at a profit, the members of those Unions need those jobs, and so deserve them. Besides, those greedy industrialists at Boeing can afford to hire them, they'll find a way to make it work.

[barf]

Rules for radicals?

http://blogs.forbes.com/garyshapiro/2011/04/27/federal-government-attacks-on-boeing-fuel-our-national-economic-suicide/

Boeing spends $2 billion and 3 years building a new plant in SC to build Dreamliners.  NRLB orders Boeing to shutter the plant, because "Boeing's decision to locate it in South Carolina was in part based on a desire to avoid work stoppages and strikes, and this rationale was harmful to unions and thus an illegal act."  This would have been an additional facility to manufacture the Dreamliners.

Read blog for more information.   :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  :facepalm:

How long before the entire country is ordered unionized......
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:35 PM »
Wait wait wait wait.

It is now the official position of the U.S. government that taking any action that is harmful to unions is illegal for employers? Is that actually what they said or is it the reporter's interpretation of a more complex ruling?
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

TechMan

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »

[barf]

2 words
 1st word begins with an "A"
 2nd word ends with a "d".    ;)
Hawkmoon - Never underestimate another person's capacity for stupidity. Any time you think someone can't possibly be that dumb ... they'll prove you wrong.

Viking - The problem with the modern world is that there aren't really any predators eating stupid people.

Jamisjockey

• Booze-fueled paragon of pointless cruelty and wanton sadism
  • friend
  • Your mom sends me care packages
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 03:57:22 PM »
Wait wait wait wait.

It is now the official position of the U.S. government that taking any action that is harmful to unions is illegal for employers? Is that actually what they said or is it the reporter's interpretation of a more complex ruling?

Considering that during the Bush and Clinton years, all the new car plants went into right to work states....I think the writer is paraphrasing a much more complex Obama administration policy....Welcome to the new Amerika, Comrade!
JD

The price of a lottery ticket seems to be the maximum most folks are willing to risk toward the dream of becoming a one-percenter. “Robert Hollis”

kgbsquirrel

• APS Photoshop God
  • friend
  • Bill, slayer of threads.
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 03:58:54 PM »
Adively wins a cigar!

TechMan

• Administrator

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 04:21:23 PM »
From second article:
"Boeing's decision to build a 787 assembly line in South Carolina sent a message that Boeing workers would suffer financial harm for exercising their collective bargaining rights," said Rich Michalski, the union's vice president.

Well........Yeah.

If you use those collective bargaining rights to price yourself out of a job, you might very well suffer financial harm.

AJ Dual

• friends
  • Shoe Ballistics Inc.
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 04:59:31 PM »
Boeing will win in the courts, eventually...

However, not in time for the 2012 election cycle, and maybe even the 2014 mid-terms. The Left sees it's union base circling the drain, and a LOT of what's happened in the U.S. over the past two years (GM buyout, the big fight here in WI over .gov unions) is all about propping them up.

I promise not to duck.

Waitone

• friend
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 05:05:23 PM »
SC won't go down without a fight.  Boeing's plant was bought with good SC taxpayer money and the good citizens expect prompt delivery of their purchase.
"Men, it has been well said, think in herds. It will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one."
- Charles Mackay, Scottish journalist, circa 1841

"Our society is run by insane people for insane objectives. I think we're being run by maniacs for maniacal ends and I think I'm liable to be put away as insane for expressing that. That's what's insane about it." - John Lennon

dogmush

• friend
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 05:08:50 PM »
At the cost of pissing off how many non-union folks?

Political support is all well and good, but what will happen if/when the rest of America get's sick of this crap and actively stops buying union?

I told an electrician acquaintance of mine the other day that I would hire an able body from Home Depot's parking lot and take a day off work to do my electrical project before I hired a union electrician, even if it cost more, because I'd rather let an illegal in my house than a union worker.  I told him the illegal took less of my tax dollars. I thought we were going to fight.  Seriously never seen someone go so red in the face so quickly.

This last ditch political propping up of the unions is going to end up doing them more harm than good IMO.

MechAg94

• friend
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2011, 05:09:55 PM »
Considering that during the Bush and Clinton years, all the new car plants went into right to work states....I think the writer is paraphrasing a much more complex Obama administration policy....Welcome to the new Amerika, Comrade!
I was thinking this was not uncommon.  

I gotta wonder if this won't take near as long to get action in the courts as people think.  It might take a while to get the SC, but that doesn't mean a lower level court can't reverse the decision.
“It is much more important to kill bad bills than to pass good ones.”  ― Calvin Coolidge

AmbulanceDriver

• Junior Rocketeer
  • friends
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2011, 05:13:28 PM »
Actually, this hasn't even seen a court yet.   This "ruling" was from a labor attorney at the NLRB.  More correctly, it was an opinion on the NLRB's part that Boeing violated the law.  The next step is for them to go before an Administrative Law Judge who will actually rule on whether Boeing is right or the NLRB is right.
Are you a cook, or a RIFLEMAN?  Find out at Appleseed!

http://www.appleseedinfo.org

"For some many people, attempting to process a logical line of thought brings up the blue screen of death." -Blakenzy

HankB

• friend
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2011, 07:28:23 PM »
Actually, this hasn't even seen a court yet.   This "ruling" was from a labor attorney at the NLRB.  More correctly, it was an opinion on the NLRB's part that Boeing violated the law. 
I was wondering what kind of "teeth" some unelected bureaucrat's ruling had . . . sounds like "not much." Boeing - and EVERY business - has a right to build a factory where ever local laws allow, and I don't see how some bureaucrat can stop them, without a ruling by a court with jurisdiction. (Wesley Mouch - pay attention!)
Trump won in 2016. Democrats haven't been so offended since Republicans came along and freed their slaves.
Sometimes I wonder if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it. - Mark Twain
Government is a broker in pillage, and every election is a sort of advance auction in stolen goods. - H.L. Mencken
Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it. - Mark Twain

brimic

• friends
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2011, 08:05:39 PM »
This "ruling" was from a labor attorney at the NLRB.

Another one of the many hundreds of alphabet agencies that we'd be much better for after disbanding.
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Scout26

• I'm a leaf on the wind.
  • friend
  • I spent a week in that town one night....
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2011, 11:51:38 PM »
Another one of the many hundreds tens of thousands of alphabet agencies that we'd be much better for after disbanding.

FTFY
Some days even my lucky rocketship underpants won't help.

Bring me my Broadsword and a clear understanding.
Get up to the roundhouse on the cliff-top standing.
Take women and children and bed them down.
Bless with a hard heart those that stand with me.
Bless the women and children who firm our hands.
Put our backs to the north wind.
Hold fast by the river.
Sweet memories to drive us on,
for the motherland.

Lee

• friend
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2011, 06:32:54 PM »

Ironically, it's not the 'taking of action' that is the issue here, it's the 'threatening to take action' during labor negotiations part that possibly violates current law.  Pretty bizarre.  Sounds like a cluster that will keep numerous lawyers busy for many years...imagine that.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 06:59:06 PM by Lee »

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2011, 09:28:10 PM »
Hey dogmush, Boeing executives get many time more tax dollars than any union memeber.

Unions are definitely losing the battle in America.  Maybe someday labor prices will be comparable with china, so we can be competitive manufacturers again.

Won't America be so much better off when people are making $20 a day on average, with no medical benefits?  Because that is going to be the inevitable consequence of this policy.

I suggest APSers start taking vacations to third world countries, in order to prep for the post-union, "free market" lifestyle we're starting to build in America.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
In forty years of working, I've never had a union job  =)

Heck, part of the time I was one of those evil employers  :P
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

MicroBalrog

• friend
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2011, 10:02:01 PM »
Won't America be so much better off when people are making $20 a day on average, with no medical benefits?  Because that is going to be the inevitable consequence of this policy.

How is it going to be an inevitable consequence of this policy? Have you never heard of the NCF?

I suggest APSers start taking vacations to third world countries, in order to prep for the post-union, "free market" lifestyle we're starting to build in America.

China is not a free market country by any stretch of the imagination.
Destroy The Enemy in Hand-to-Hand Combat.

"...tradition and custom becomes intertwined and are a strong coercion which directs the society upon fixed lines, and strangles liberty. " ~ William Graham Sumner

De Selby

• friend
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2011, 10:20:16 PM »
Tallpine, that's fine - but unions have played a role in keeping wages up.

Can someone please explain to me how America is going to be more prosperous without these evil unions?  All I see happening is wages and benefits go down.  Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't think of a single country in the world with a decent standard of living and weak or no unions.

Micro, America isn't either - racing to get rid of market protections for wage earners just makes people poor.  You need to start with the welfare queens on wall street if you want America to become anything other than a third world country with millions of wretched poor.
"Human existence being an hallucination containing in itself the secondary hallucinations of day and night (the latter an insanitary condition of the atmosphere due to accretions of black air) it ill becomes any man of sense to be concerned at the illusory approach of the supreme hallucination known as death."

makattak

• Dark Lord of the Cis
  • friend
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2011, 10:37:53 PM »
Tallpine, that's fine - but unions have played a role in keeping wages up.

Can someone please explain to me how America is going to be more prosperous without these evil unions?  All I see happening is wages and benefits go down. 

That's because no one taught you to look beyond the seen, obvious effects and to the harder to see effects.

What happens is UNION wages go down. As a result, industries that are subject to union demands will have more incentive to keep jobs in this country and bring them back. A US worker is generally paid more than a Chinese worker because he is more productive. If his wages are not artificially increased by monopoly (i.e. the unions), there will be more workers hired. Should his wages be artificially increased in this country his industry has more incentive to replace skilled American labor with unskilled Chinese (or Vietnamese or Indonesian or...) labor.

Also, correlation =/= causation.
I wish the Ring had never come to me. I wish none of this had happened.

So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. There are other forces at work in this world, Frodo, besides the will of evil. Bilbo was meant to find the Ring. In which case, you also were meant to have it. And that is an encouraging thought

French G.

• friend
  • ohhh sparkles!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2011, 10:45:53 PM »
I grew up and remain in a right to work state. Now, for the first time in my life I have a non gov't job, making a good starting wage in a free shop. I hope that if someone mentions a union that I take no immediate action to put me in jail. Organized labor has systematically gutted American industry. I can find countless towns that don't exist because the factory closed. Labor agitators are the enemy as far as I'm concerned, we're just in an awkward stage.
AKA Navy Joe   

I'm so contrarian that I didn't respond to the thread.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2011, 10:49:34 PM »
Why would you want anyone to have a monopoly, including unions  ???

What's so terrible about people choosing to work at a job without being forced to join a union...?
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin