Author Topic: Does anyone else get sick of having too many projects/hobbies?  (Read 3533 times)

cfabe

• friend
I'm terrible about having too many projects I'm working on. I'm in the middle of remodeling the basement, I've got two projects cars in the driveway neither of which run, I've got a ham radio licensce and equipment but I don't have time to use it, I've got a nice home theater setup that needs some more tweaking and I hardly use,  the yard's a mess and needs alot of landscaping work this spring, and of course lots of guns that I hardly every get out to shoot, and I'm not nearly as good with as I'd like to be.

I just graduated college and have started my first 'real' job,  and I feel like I need to prioritize my life a little.  Anyone else gone through something like this? How do you decide which interests to pursue and which to set aside for now. I'd much rather be fully involved in one or two hobbies than be stretched thin on all of them.

...has left the building.

Does anyone else get sick of having too many projects/hobbies?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2005, 04:33:07 PM »
Hmm...I never get tired with my interests because that is what I live for entertainment-wise. Let's see...

-Shooting
-Unarmed fighting, currently BJJ, FMA, and Wing Chun
-Performance auto tuning...thinking about buying a '99 Civic Si project car...
-Film, going through the Film Noir classics
-Literature, reading the "Bourne" series

Naah...can't say I get tired of any of them but I do have to prioritze some. Interestingly, shooting has been in last place for the past year or so.

matt1911

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2005, 06:08:28 PM »
To many? Tired of it? NAAAA i have my guns/reloading/birddogs/hunting and then my heavymetal band/recording studio,cars,and am about to jump into RC airplanes,i love it! Just gets tough coming up with all, the moneys!
Matt

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2005, 07:45:13 PM »
I do.
Guns  (I don't get to go shooting anywhere near as much as I'd like...I also don't own many(i.e. one, the rest are my dad's) guns.
Guitar  (Guitar is fun, me and my uncle have regular jam sessions.  I'm not the best in the world, been playing for a year and a half, but like I said, it's fun!)
Drawing  (Wouldn't really call this a hobby since I SUCK.  But then again, I don't get to practice much...I'm very *inward* when it comes to drawing...so I don't draw until everyone's in bed...which is usually about 11PM...then I get tired and sick of my skills and go to bed after 30 minutes. sad)
Gaming  (Silent Hunter III is virtual crack.)
Reading  (I'm trying to read about 3 books at once, it's not fun...uncle comes over with a handful of books every so often and says, HEY READ THIS ONE.  Right now I'm reading Lyman's Reloading and Cast Bullet Guide, and Silent War by J. P. Craven.  After that, hopefully, I'll start(again) on the Shannara series by Terry Brooks.  I also need to get around to finishing Lord of the Rings.)
Swords  (I like swords.  I have one, it's a very old marine sword...still has the original scabbard, but its way beat up.  The hilt was composed of a ruler--broken in two and halves on each side of steel--wrapped in electrical tape, wrapped in duct tape, a peice of iron bent around with chicken spike things welded on to it attached by another layer of electrical tape.  I'm in the process (i.e. yet to start) of rebuilding the scabbard and hilt out of a few peices of wood I have, if anyone has any helpful tips, please...help me. =p Oh, did I mention the sword is sharp as a door, rusted and tarnished to crap, and bent?)
I thought I had more...probably do, I'll post them if I remember them...
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

brimic

• friends
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2005, 09:58:12 PM »
Too much on my plate.

Finishing my basement- for the last year.
Building vacation home in another state- for the last 6 years
Still need to finish my patio- it will be done in gray granite stone, have had the materials for 3 years now, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Shooting- don't get to do it as much as I like anymore- maybe once per month
Archery/bowhunting- been doing this for 20 years but gave it up 2 years ago when my son was born.
Fishing- never enough time to do as much fishing as I would like.
Bullet casting/reloading- expensive, but not as time consuming as other interests
"now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb" -Dark Helmet

"AK47's belong in the hands of soldiers mexican drug cartels"-
Barack Obama

Jason

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2005, 03:05:00 AM »
Entirely too many hobbies:
Cycling  this would have to count as my primary hobby.  I've got more into my road bike alone then in guns.  Thats not counting the specialized clothing, replacement tires, inner tubes, repairs and maintence.  I just ordered a mountain bike, which I need to pick up this week.  During the summer, I average 200 miles a week (at about 20mph avg speed), including one or two Criterium races a week (which cost $10 each)
Fly fishing Another expensive hobby, but not as bad as shooting or cycling.  I don't get out as much as I'd like too.  I'd really like to get a 4 weight fly rod, and a float tube or pontoon.
Shooting I don't get out nearly as much as I'd like to.  I've got 5 guns so far, and really really want to buy a hunting caliber rifle (probably .308, possibly '06), and a full frame pistol or two.
Then there is camping.  I get out a couple times a year usually, car camping.  This year I want to take up backpacking, but I can already see the writing on the wall.  I've started fininshing my basement into useable living space, and this is going to eat up alot of disposable income and time over the spring and summer.

Strings

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2005, 10:32:27 AM »
Hmmm...

Guns: Practical pistol, trap, sporting clays, CAS. Looking to start doing some service rifle, and actually get some plain plinkin' time. not to mention reloading for it all...

Music: we've got the start of a band, lookin' at maybe 2-3 years before we're ready to play out. I play guitar, bass, harp, violin, and adding mandolin (oh, and hand drums)...

Motorcycles: started riding two years ago, and now I'm the president of our new BACA chapter (which is loads of headaches itself). Right now, I'm on a Kaw ZL 600, but the wife and I are lookin' at a pair of Triumphs (a Speedmaster or America for me, and a Bonnie or America for her)...

Rollerblades: haven't done much lately, but used to 'Blade around 10 miles daily. Hoping to get back to it this summer...

Bicycles: not REALLY heavy into this one, althouhg we've spent a fair amount on our rides...

Jewelry: learned wax work last year, and have several waxes I have to finish soon. They get sold at the local Ren Faire (which eats eight weekends every year). And this year I'm SUPPOSED to learn chasing and reparse...

Then there's reading, but let's not get into that...

Nah... I don't have to many hobbies. I just have too much work... Wink

InfidelSerf

• friend
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2005, 06:57:18 PM »
You should focus all your energy and time on your hobbies and interests... forget the new career it will just tear your soul from you piece by piece like eating a piece of string cheese.
Use that new fandangled degree of yours to convince yourself you can survive without working for someone else.
Be truly free and work your ass off living free.

But most important
Thank God each and everyday for the blessing of a life to be in such a quandry Cheesy
We are so lucky
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor&Success of this army,and the safety of our bleeding Country depend.Remember~Soldiers,that you are Freemen,fighting for the blessings of Liberty-that slavery will be your portion,and that of your posterity,if you do not acquit yourselves like men.GW8/76

mfree

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2005, 11:11:07 PM »
I've taken over/leasing/buying a 1930's era house that's been neglected, with ~1983 era heating/air, 1950's spring balanced single pane windows, poor insulation, and a hodgeodge of heat/air controls scattered all over the place.

'Nuff said.

4:10AM and I *just* got the HVAC working again, drain tube had clogged and flooded/froze the condenser. Heat's going full blast right now and all my dehumidifers going to try and dry out the system. I'm hot and it stinks.

*sigh* the day.... the day will come when the property this house sits on will be worth more than the whole shebang is now. *must keep that in mind*....

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 10:47:55 AM »
No, I am just sick of not having enough money to support all of my hobbies.  

Guns, archery, cars, golf, camping, fishing and hunting.

Standing Wolf

• friend
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2005, 05:34:45 PM »
Shooting isn't a hobby. It's a way of life. The dishes and laundry and house cleaning can wait.
No tyrant should ever be allowed to die of natural causes.

Tallpine

• friends
  • Grumpy Old Grandpa
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2005, 05:51:17 AM »
Oh there's always too many projects that "need" to be done around this place ...

Clearing out juniper and thinning pine trees for fire protection (a lifetime project by itself)

The garage needs a door

Replacing a sliding patio door with a double door for security and insulation (who in the heck puts a patio door on the NE corner of a house in MT Huh???)

Enclosing the screen porch into a "sun porch"

Fixing up the old cabin up on the corner of our land

Building a dormer so the middle room upstairs can have a window

New floor coverings downstairs

Sigh ... all that takes money as well as time.  The heck with it - I'm going to go take a hike and/or go shoot some cans.
Freedom is a heavy load, a great and strange burden for the spirit to undertake. It is not easy. It is not a gift given, but a choice made, and the choice may be a hard one. The road goes upward toward the light; but the laden traveller may never reach the end of it.  - Ursula Le Guin

atek3

• friend
    • http://www.geocities.com/atek128/Welcome.html
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2005, 06:05:47 AM »
sick?  Heck no.
Between martial arts (BJJ), Highpower, IPSC, 3gun, reloading, motorcycles (Ratty GS500), Computer Games, and Investment I'd say I have a pretty full plate, but I wouldn't trade my hobbies for anything (well maybe a million dollars, but even then I'm not sure)

atek3