Author Topic: Amusement parks / coasters  (Read 3929 times)

Taurus

Amusement parks / coasters
« on: March 27, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »
Who else here besides me is a coaster enthusiast? The closest park to me is Six Flags Darien Lake, NY. There are I think 5 coasters there (I don't keep track anymore). Superman Ride of Steel is the best because of the 205' first drop. Cedar Point, OH is my favorite stop along the way from New York to Wisconsin. There's a lot of great coaster rides there.

From coaster riders among us, what park and ride is each's favorite?
J. D. White

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 05:01:36 PM »
In Busch Gardens in Williamsburg there was the Apollo's Chariot and Alpengeist...those were awesome.  We went on each twice, I believe, though I'm sure we went on Apollo's Chariot twice.  I believe we went on Alpengeist during the day and a second at dusk, just before closing.  The Loch Ness Monster was pretty fun too, but the other two rocked.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2005, 05:03:32 PM »
I rode the Mamba 18 times, the Orient Express a dozen, and the Boomerang about three, all in a day once.

I also rode the Thunderation in Branson 36 times. About half and half front and backward. And this was while eating about a pound of salt water taffy. Of course then I found out the record was over 80 times. By a girl. So I pretty much gave up on that.

But yes, to answer your question I am big on roller coasters.

I've wanted to get out to Cedar Point, as I have a business I do work for that has an office out there. So I'm hoping one of these days to turn a weekend into a business/pleasure trip. Tell me have you been on that drag strip ride? How is it.?

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2005, 05:05:38 PM »
Oh yeah. I almost forgot. You know those big spinning things? That throw you against the wall. So you can turn upside down and sit up and what not? Some of them tip up on end. I used to ride those things for hours. Usually the operator would have to kick me off. Same thing with the big swinging arm type rides....

Taurus

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2005, 05:13:17 PM »
To answer your question about the Top Fuel Dragster ride ... I haven't done that one yet. I was last at the park in 2002, before it was built. Imagine the waiting time for this ride on any one day. But I have to get on at least once this summer. Also going to check out "The Beast" near Cinci.
J. D. White

cfabe

• friend
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2005, 05:09:36 AM »
Living in cleveland, I usually get to cedar point every other year or so. I wouldn't call myself an 'enthusiast' but I enjoy riding coasters.

Last time I was there was just after the top fuel dragster was opened, we waited a couple of hours in line for it because it kept having mechanical problems. It's everything it's promised to be, basically just burst of very intense acceleration, a trip up and back and takes maybe 30 seconds total. Keep your head back agianst the headreast at the beginning or the ride will slam it back for you. It's neat but it sucks waiting a long time and then having it be over so fast. At least normal coasters give you a few minutes of thrill.

Typhoon

• friend
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2005, 08:56:18 AM »
OK!  That does it!  Back to Magic Mountain before the summer holidays.  There are too many new coasters to try out, and I have shamefully neglected my duties.

However, I did make it to Busch Gardens in Tampa a few months ago.  Kumba, a steel, fast as heck loop-the-loop special was a gas, as well as Montu, an inverted floorless coaster.  

MUST...HAVE...MORE...THRILLS...!!!
To the stars!

Chris

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2005, 09:31:01 AM »
Big on coasters.  My in-laws live in Rochester, NY, so I've done Darien Lake and Superman.  Also have done everything at Cedar Point except Top Fuel Dragster (it was broken when we were there).  And, I grew up in Cincinnati, so I've done all of Kings Island, except Son of Beast.  Also, last summer, we crossed into Canada, and did Marineland, which had an unexpectedly cool coaster (can't recall the name).  I highly recommend Cedar Point.  They don't call it America's Roller Coast for nothing.  Millenium is great, but I prefer the Magnum, as you are right on the water.  Of course, the Beast is still my all-time favorite.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2005, 09:38:06 AM »
Quote from: mbs357
In Busch Gardens in Williamsburg there was the Apollo's Chariot and Alpengeist...those were awesome.  We went on each twice, I believe, though I'm sure we went on Apollo's Chariot twice.  I believe we went on Alpengeist during the day and a second at dusk, just before closing.  The Loch Ness Monster was pretty fun too, but the other two rocked.
I don't know the Kings Dominion in Richmond has better coasters...
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2005, 10:46:06 AM »
I grew up only 30 minutes from Cedar Point.  We used to jump in my buddies boat and ski up there, dock and go to the park and then ski back to the house.  

Boy what a great time that was.

Mabs2

• friend
  • セクシー
    • iCarly
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2005, 01:31:35 PM »
I never liked King's Dominion, it was a big concrete slab...like being in a sauna.
Busch Gardens was like a state park with rides in it, very comfortable.
For that reason alone I prefer Busch Gardens.
Quote from: jamisjockey
Sunday it felt a little better, but it was quite irritated from me rubbing it.
Quote from: Mike Irwin
If you watch any of the really early episodes of the Porter Waggoner show she was in (1967) it's very clear that he was well endowed.
Quote from: Ben
Just wanted to give a forum thumbs up to Dick.

jamz

• friend
  • bleem
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2005, 02:38:48 PM »
I'm not an enthusiast, but I like 'em. Smiley

I was petrified of coasters as a kid, even up through the beginning of high school.  Then, maybe halfway through hish school, I went with a bunch of friends to a six flags a couple fo hours away- I was determined to ride every coaster they had.  This park had 4, IIRC.

Started out on the smallest one.  Was scary but okay.
Went to the next biggest- this was like a "normal" coaster for back then, but for some reason, the cars were running backwards that day- as in facing the wrong direction.  Amazing, scary, disorienting, but okay.

Next was one of the park's main attractions- a big coaster, very very fast.  I got a seat in the front car.  By the end of that ride, my fears had been utterly erased, and I jumped over the barriers to get in line again. Cheesy

Next one was a simple loop coaster- went on it onece, it was okay.  Since then, I've LOVEd coasters. Smiley

Love, James
Everybody loves Magical Trevor

Ringer

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2005, 05:47:58 PM »
Cedar Point is my favorite for Coasters.  Millenium Force is awesome for sheer drop and speed.  Magnum is also a good one.  Gotta love the ricketyness of the wooden coasters like Meanstreak.  I haven't ridden dragster yet, it was closed both times I have been there since it was built.  My daughter rode it the first year, they had a sign up to the affect of, if the train doesn't make it over the top not to worry we'll just shoot you out again.  Last year it was closed for some time after some people took some shrapnel in the face I think, nothing serious.  I don't expect it to be around much longer, been closed more than open.  Don't think they hit the design right on this one.

The Beast at Kings Island is another favorited of mine.  Havent been back since they added Son of Beast, need to try that one out one day.
Ringer

WhoKnowsWho

• http://whoknowswho.yafro.com
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2005, 06:17:34 PM »
I love coasters too. But living in Tucson, so CA isn't really a day trip type place. Sad

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 02:39:04 AM »
Loved "The Beast" at King's Island.  Liked "The Bat" too, but I was there the day the poor Boy Scout was killed.  Sad day.
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

uvakat

• friend
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2005, 03:59:59 AM »
Quote from: mbs357
I never liked King's Dominion, it was a big concrete slab...like being in a sauna.
Busch Gardens was like a state park with rides in it, very comfortable.
For that reason alone I prefer Busch Gardens.
True... I was just saying the coasters at King's Dominion are better... though I love goign to Bush Gardens... It's actually more peaceful
Nothing like a couple hundred rounds down range to make a girl feel better.  

jefnvk

• friend
  • I'll sleep away the days and ride the nights...
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2005, 10:55:50 AM »
Tell me have you been on that drag strip ride? How is it.?
Insane burst of speed, up 400+ feet in a second or so, down before you know it, and leaves you with that 'what the hell just happened' feeling Cheesy

I love Cedar Point more now that I found Camp Perry and the CMP store is fifteen miles down the road Cheesy
I still say 'Give Detroit to Canada'

Risasi

• friend
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2005, 01:45:32 PM »
Quote from: jefnvk
Tell me have you been on that drag strip ride? How is it.?
Insane burst of speed, up 400+ feet in a second or so, down before you know it, and leaves you with that 'what the hell just happened' feeling Cheesy

I love Cedar Point more now that I found Camp Perry and the CMP store is fifteen miles down the road Cheesy
Ah! Now that's the answer I was looking for.  Heights don't matter much anymore. Because I install cameras and security stuff sometimes, climbing around all day 200 ft up, infrequently with no harness or railing turns into a real ho-hum. But speed and height? Now you're talking. I've turned into a bit of a speed freak.

I've toned it down on the road finally, and try to ingratiate my tendencies with roller coasters...

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2005, 02:16:19 PM »
I haven't been there, but I hear that the Big Shot on the top of the Stratosphere hotel in Las Vegas is mighty intense.  The High Roller, same location, is apparently just a so-so coaster, but zipping around the outside of the top of a hotel (909 feet up) has to focus your attention.  Now they've added a third ride.

http://www.stratospherehotel.com/las_vegas_stratosphere_ride.html

And, from http://themeparks.about.com/cs/lasvegas/a/stratbigshot.htm,

There are many psychological factors conspiring to scare the daylights out of you. The sheer height is positively terrifying. The ride leaves you completely exposed with your legs and arms dangling. Facing away from the tower, it's just you, the seat, and the ether above Las Vegas. The force of the launch gets you thinking: What if this seat just rocketed off the top? For that matter, will the safety harness really tether you to the seat?

Lennyjoe

• friend
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2005, 05:57:49 AM »
"But living in Tucson, so CA isn't really a day trip type place"

I know the feeling.   Tucson/Phoenix needs a quality amusement park.

Silver Bullet

• friend
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2005, 06:40:17 AM »
The Renaissance Faire east of Phoenix is more fun than you'd expect.  I think it's only there for about six weeks in March and April.  I dunno if it is still there this season, but it might be.

TimH

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2005, 02:34:22 PM »
I used to like them, but that was then Cheesy
Cedar Point was by far the best park I went to as far as coasters were concerned