Author Topic: Book Rec--While Europe Slept  (Read 1126 times)

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
Book Rec--While Europe Slept
« on: April 22, 2006, 05:06:00 AM »
Just finished a great book about Europe and their relunctance to name the threat that radical Islam is to Western Civilization, While Europe Slept by Bruce Brawer.

Mr. Brawer, a citizen of the USA, moved to the Netherlands in 1997 and then met his life partner there and then immigrated to Norway.  Many times on THR one can sense a frustration on the part of some posters who do not understand why the Europeans cower and deny the fact that we are in a war to the end with radical Islam.  This book explains why.

An excellent insight into the mindset of the modern welfare-state Western European and the alternative reality that their culture has created.  Highly recommended.Smiley
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.

Telperion

• friend
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2006, 01:15:58 PM »
Have you also read The West's Last Chance by Tony Blankley?  It sounds similarly themed.  I saw it at the bookstore but didn't read past the jacket material.  I'm trying to decide which would be the better read.

SteveS

• The Voice of Reason
  • friends
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 05:23:06 AM »
Another good book on this subject is "Menace in Europe" by Claire Berlinski.  Having just recently returned from a trip to Europe, I would say that her assessments seem very accurate.
Profanity is the linguistic crutch of the inarticulate mother****er.

El Tejon

• friend
    • http://www.kirkfreemanlaw.com
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 10:03:34 AM »
I have read all three.  While all three are insightful, Mr. Bawer is the best writer among them.  

In addition, I believe Mr. Bawer, as an American living in Europe, provides the best insight into the European mindset.  Why not buy all three?  As my mother told me many years ago, "money spent for books does not count.":)
I do not smoke pot, wear Wookie suits, live in my mom's basement, collect unemployment checks or eat Cheetoes, therefore I am not a Ron Paul voter.