Author Topic: Oil: 5w30 vs 10w30  (Read 11998 times)

Oil: 5w30 vs 10w30
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2006, 02:39:19 PM »
I grew up with a Esso station down the road, really cool guys. I had extra sets of Tiger Tails for my bike handle bars, they saved ball  bearings for my slingshot...I learned to do a lot of stuff down there. [Read what is that young'un into now - oh he is headfirst in a DeSoto engine compartment again].

Texaco was across the street, mean old drunk guy ran the place. So I have no idea as to why I have my preferencs other than being a hard-headed, opinonated, male that always hated Chrysler, Democrats and other stuff.

Esso station had Castrol oil products too. Never dawned on me being a kid it meant anything.
 I asked hard questions even as a kid. I mean Esso had a Machine oil in a tin can ( they gave me one ) Texaco had a machine oil in a tin can...'How come Gulf , Castrol, and Sinclair don't?" I asked. That is when they give you a nickel to sweep the front room floor.

Datsun, okay, that is odd name for a car, church folks used Castrol in it...I think I viewed my first Japenese words trying to figure out where the oil went...

Uncle bought a used VW Beetle for Eldest daughter to use, learning to drive and drive herself to school. "Go get the Castrol and ammo out of the trunk".

Some idiot done stuck an engine in the trunk of that thing. Uncle had this laugh...and he sure did use it that day.

This VW did not hava fuel gauge. Instead it had a petcock to reserve fuel. It sure was odd the first time we went down a country road with shotguns and such in the "trunk" and they were "in front of us".

"We supposed to point the muzzle out front of us or toward us riding in this bug". I asked him.

I got that...."dang kids sure do ask some hard questions at times",

WE decided to split the difference, half the guns , unloaded and cased , facing both directions...it was a good question I thought...puzzled him.  I finally decided later on just easier to put them in the back seat...I still felt funny having a trunk "up front".

I miss the old oil cans...what the hell am I supposed to do with the oil can punch/ pour tools I have?

Sure as hell don't work on Coconuts?

K Frame

• friend
  • I Am Inimical
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2006, 04:21:21 PM »
"I miss the old oil cans...what the hell am I supposed to do with the oil can punch/ pour tools I have?"

Beer shooters.
Carbon Monoxide, sucking the life out of idiots, 'tards, and fools since man tamed fire.

grampster

• friend
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2006, 05:09:42 PM »
When I worked in a gas station in the summer of '61 cars used a lot of oil.  We'd put the metal plunge spout in the can and empty it into the crankcase while pumping gas.

No matter how long it sat in the filler while we pumped gas, there always was a residue.
I used to tip used cans up over another empty can and over the course of a couple of days, I'd have a full can of oil to put in Ole Bess, my '53 Chibby coupe.  We were selling gas for 31.9 in those days, with an occasional gas war that shoved the prices down to 17.9 or so.  Hell that won't pay the tax on gas today.  For your 17.9 we pumped your gas, washed your windows, checked your fluids and air pressure in the tires.  Sigh......
"Never wrestle with a pig.  You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."  G.B. Shaw

« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2006, 08:49:41 PM »
"Beer Shooters"

I do not drink, might try it with a soda.

richyoung

• friend
  • bring a big gun
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2006, 10:35:33 AM »
Oh  joy - another oil topic:

When does 80-95% of engine wear occur?  At start-up - when there is NO oil on the parts.  Dino or synthetic (made from coal), clean or dirty, 3, 5, or 10,000 miles - dosn't matter.  Its sitting in the crankcase, not between wear surfaces.  Yes, you can change it every 3000 miles.  You can also change it every day.  All you are doing is wasting money and creating more waste oil to be disposed of.  If your oil "looks dirty", that means hte detergent in it is doing its job.  Change at the maximum interval you manufacture recommends.  As for high mileage, highway miles on a warmed up drivetrain and suspension aren't particularly harmful.  Look at trucks - they are built out of the same stuff, run similar oils, haul heavier loads, and routinely exceed a million miles.
Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't...