Author Topic: Foolproof way to discourage Dog attention  (Read 1511 times)

Holly76201

Foolproof way to discourage Dog attention
« on: March 27, 2005, 07:15:49 PM »
I have a sweet little {50#} Aussie Shep/Weimariner cross named Boo. She will come over,get a little attention, and then lie down and not be a pest.

My Dearly Beloved's new Yellow Lab in a whole 'nother story. He is not quite 2, weighs >100 #, and is a pesitant, demanding, attention slut. Thinking back to the common wisdom that the quickest way to get rid of a man is to tell him you love him; on a whim, I looked at the Lab and said, " Ben, I want a commitment, I want to marry you." He turned right around and headed to the other side of the room. I was LMAO and almost fell off the couch.
Veni, Vidi, Vivisecti

FUR IS MURDER to clean

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2005, 08:17:30 PM »
LMAO, too funny.

I seem to have this deal with dogs, they like me and mind me. When I was dating a lady whom I later married, first time we went out , her dog and I hit if off.  He ran out the door to follow us as we left, I just asked him to go back inside, and we would be back later. He goes back in the house, promptly, then watches us leave through the window - ginning.

She said as we drove off " ...damndest thing I've ever seen, he usually wants to play a game, get a bribe( treat)  or something to get in back in the house. You just asked him to go inside and he minds...well the dog likes you- must mean you are okay".

Dog always minded me, my best bud. "Hey flip the fireplace on and turn off the light"  - yep he would jump on the  couch and paw the switches on the wall correctly. Then he take his spot in front of the gas fireplace , and shoot me a smug grin ...and then she would shake her head - or elbow me in the ribs.

In the winter he got where he turn on the fireplace just before we got  out of bed to take the chill out of the front room - boy did that shock and surprise her the first time he did that.

He also liked to "paw" the on switch on the dishwasher...

Come to think of it - he minded better than the teenage boy she had. *smirk*

Preacherman

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2005, 02:31:28 AM »
Holly, you're a danger to all recovering convalescents!  That had me laughing so hard I could hear the bones in my back grating... Cheesy
Let's put the fun back in dysfunctional!

Please visit my blog: http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/

DigMe

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2005, 06:17:28 AM »
My boxer is off and on.  Sometimes she seems to show an uncanny ability to do what I want but sometimes she's out of control!  She is still just a puppy though...hopefully the obedient side of her will take over soon!

Two weeks ago we were out on our land and I was walking her.  I had my .357 mag strapped on and she stirred up some hogs and chased them.  I called her and she came back and then I went into the brush to see if I could shoot one.  She was barking and going crazy and running around but then I looked at her and went "shhhh" and kind of held my hand palm down in a sign to be calm.  Somehow she understood that and she immediately shut up and came close to my side and started walking with me.  I've never trained her in anythign like that!  

Maybe she didn't understand at all...maybe she was just really confused.  Tongue

brad cook